You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vodacom is sharing my number with every site I visit from my phone

Default Vodacom is sharing my number with every site I visit from my phone

Moved from this thread: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...net?styleid=28 as per Elimentals recommendation

I have found that my phone shares details about me to every site I visit.

I am with Vodacom and have a Samsung Galaxy sII. Strangely it only does it if I browse from native browser.

Either way I set up my own little test which includes MXIT user id which seems to also be the users phone number (not tested please let me know if you have MXIT): http://jeffsdigitalkitchen.co.za/phonetest/

I also wrote a blog post about it here: http://www.jeffsdigitalkitchen.co.za/cellular-privacy/

I also found a document of previous user information collected by a South African website which contains a lot of user data include a ton of phone numbers: http://wap.defza.com/ua/ua.txt

Looking at this you can see that it is pretty much only be Vodacom contract phones. Except for the MXIT data that does not seem to be network specific.

Does anyone know if this is legal? I shouldn't think it is to be honest.

OK so I have been running some more tests. It seems to only be happening to a a few accounts. So far the pattern is Android devices with Vodacom contracts (mobileGenericPlan,Vodacom,mobilePushEnabledPlan) or something along those lines. Like I said before I only get it when I use my native browser.In fact in my testing so far it is limited to Galaxy s2 handsets.

Fudzy

Doesn't do it on my HTC Desire. Oh and I'm on MTN just to further prove it being just a Vodacom thing.

Native Browser,Vodacom,p970,no details returned
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

OK Have had a Blackberry Torch and an older Nokia Symbian device run the test. Both returned their numbers both Vodacom contracts.

vodacom topup with galaxy s- no visible user information besides phone model and operating system with native browser.

Got an HTC Desire with a Vodacom contract posting the number too. Still no response on whether this is legal?

Desire S on MTN, no number shown, so must be a Vodacom thing
    Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.

are you sure you don't have some sort of autofill feature which could be propagated from your phone settings or even online via a google/facebook account?

Have you tried clearing all history, cookies and browser autofill history?

It shows my number too. On Vodacom prepaid, Vodafone 585 Android phone. This is just not on.

Quote Originally Posted by Edduck View Post
    are you sure you don't have some sort of autofill feature which could be propagated from your phone settings or even online via a google/facebook account?

From what I can ascertain the information is passed in the headers,not a form(submit) block
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Quote Originally Posted by Edduck View Post

Definitely passed thorough the headers. That is how I am extracting it with php, I am asking for the header information. For some reason it does not do it when I use Firefox. So that is my quick fix solution for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    From what I can ascertain the information is passed in the headers,not a form(submit) block
    Definitely passed in the headers. Checked with a Samsung GS2, but what's weird is it seems to be only passed by the native browser when the VC proxy is used. Turn off the proxy, headers gone. Also checked with Dolphin browser and no such headers are set with or without VC proxy.

Tethered via usb, checked with pc and no headers.

So must be the combo of native browser and VC proxy...
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by JAV View Post
    So must be the combo of native browser and VC proxy...
    Yes this is what I have found with my testing so far. This is not exclusively a Android thing though as I have tested an older Nokia symbian that did it, a blackberry torch and a HTC Desire (although this is also android). I'm just not sure if Vodacom is putting the headers in but some software (OS or Browsers or whatever) is stripping it, or if Vodacom is supposed to be stripping this information and is struggling in some cases to do so. I think its the former though.

Just thought of something...

The older sims, when you got the package with the sim, the cell number was printed on the packaging. With the new packs, the number is only assigned to the sim after it is activated.

Now what i was thinking, maybe on the older sim cards the actual cell number was "programmed" into the sim, hence why the phone - and browser - could retrieve the number and thus send it as a header. The newer sims don't have this, and thus the device cannot set these headers.

Could be the reason why some are reporting the number and others not.

Doesn't explain the proxy phenomenon though...
    Last edited by JAV; 26-01-2012 at 06:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast