Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Where to get an HP Microserver

  1. #1

    Default Where to get an HP Microserver

    Hey peeps,

    I am keen to get my hands on an HP Microserver but struggling to find one. Cybernatics seem to be the only people that carry these.
    Do any of you know who else has stock? Hell, I will even buy second hand.

    Also, what is a good AND quiet graphics card for it? Must have HDMI out.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    HP Shop, R75 for delivery. We just ordered one for the office and took a few days to get delivered.

    I got a Radeon 5450 but always make sure it has the low profile bracket - and yes, it has to have HDMI out else you need to get a PCI Express low profile sound card and that is the cost of a graphics card
    Do something today for those than cannot do anything for you.

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster Madman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,968
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Yea I bought a couple from HPShop, where delivered last week.
    I am 13531

    "Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

  5. #5
    Grandmaster iDOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far & Away
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    Digital planet have them eith free delivery fof orders over R500.00

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks guys. I appreciate the assistance. Nice to have a few options

    Any ideas on where to get a LP graphics card with HDMI output and necessary brackets? I prefer nVidia. Don't like ATi too much.

    My aim for this machine is as a DLNA Server, Plex Server AND Plex Client. It will live on the shelf in my home theater room hooked up to my amp and projector. I have an HDMI matrix switch that splits the HDMI audio and video so I have toslink output on the matrix switch to the amp, and HDMI to the projector. So the graphics card must be capable of sending both the audio and video signal via the HDMI port.

    Entire house is gigabit ethernet so the Microserver will also stream to some clients via the Plex Server and others via Mezzmo (DLNA Server).

    And above all... Because it is my HT room, it must run quiet Seems like the ideal machine from what I have read on these forums.

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster Madman88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,968
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smit View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the assistance. Nice to have a few options

    Any ideas on where to get a LP graphics card with HDMI output and necessary brackets? I prefer nVidia. Don't like ATi too much.

    My aim for this machine is as a DLNA Server, Plex Server AND Plex Client. It will live on the shelf in my home theater room hooked up to my amp and projector. I have an HDMI matrix switch that splits the HDMI audio and video so I have toslink output on the matrix switch to the amp, and HDMI to the projector. So the graphics card must be capable of sending both the audio and video signal via the HDMI port.

    Entire house is gigabit ethernet so the Microserver will also stream to some clients via the Plex Server and others via Mezzmo (DLNA Server).

    And above all... Because it is my HT room, it must run quiet Seems like the ideal machine from what I have read on these forums.
    Rectron. I'm using the GIGABYTE nVidia GeForce 210 - 512MB. Was about R230 ex vat.
    I am 13531

    "Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

  8. #8

    Default

    Is Plex like an XBMC/Boxee rival?

    I always thought it was a media server thing that could push to mobile devices - so there's actually a desktop media bit too?
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    Is Plex like an XBMC/Boxee rival?

    I always thought it was a media server thing that could push to mobile devices - so there's actually a desktop media bit too?
    It is based on boxee but better. The client runs on mobile devices (Android and iOS), windows, mac, linux, Samsung BD players (5300 and up), and latest LG and Samsung TVs.

    I am using the server on a windows machine, Android client, and Sammy BD player client. It rocks.

    The server runs on windows, Linux and Mac.

  10. #10

    Default

    Update...
    Picked up an HP Microserver (R1,359), GT210 (R350 odd) and a bluray ROM (R720 odd) from http://www.cybernatic.co.za.

    Ordered Wed afternoon, had it all Thu morning.

    Installed Win 7 Ultimate, Mezzmo, Plex Server and Plex Media Center. Sound output via the GT210.
    5TB storage.

    This is one sweet machine. Thinking of getting another just because the price is so good for what you are getting.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    Is Plex like an XBMC/Boxee rival?

    I always thought it was a media server thing that could push to mobile devices - so there's actually a desktop media bit too?
    Plex and boxee are both XBMC forks.

    Plex is basically like a centralised XBMC server which can stream to Android and iOS devices!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smit View Post
    Update...
    Picked up an HP Microserver (R1,359), GT210 (R350 odd) and a bluray ROM (R720 odd) from http://www.cybernatic.co.za.

    Ordered Wed afternoon, had it all Thu morning.

    Installed Win 7 Ultimate, Mezzmo, Plex Server and Plex Media Center. Sound output via the GT210.
    5TB storage.

    This is one sweet machine. Thinking of getting another just because the price is so good for what you are getting.
    It is a great peace of equipment for the price, very nicely built, dunno how they make any move off it! 115 page thread here if you have a question may have been answered/asked in there

    Was wondering how many clients you could stream to before the CPU/GPU became a bottleneck?

  12. #12

    Default

    Well the HP is in my home theatre room and for my projector it serves as the client. I have the Plex server on it too for the rest of the house, and mezzmo for non Plex clients.
    So far I have used the client on the HP, client in the lounge and 2 mezzmo clients simultaneously with no problems.
    If the Plex server is doing a scan then the client on the HP chokes but all other clients are fine. This is okay though as scans are only on HDD changes so not that often.

    I have pretty much used all that us available out there for serving media around the house, and Plex is by far my favourite.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smit View Post
    Update...
    Picked up an HP Microserver (R1,359), GT210 (R350 odd) and a bluray ROM (R720 odd) from http://www.cybernatic.co.za.

    Ordered Wed afternoon, had it all Thu morning.

    Installed Win 7 Ultimate, Mezzmo, Plex Server and Plex Media Center. Sound output via the GT210.
    5TB storage.

    This is one sweet machine. Thinking of getting another just because the price is so good for what you are getting.
    For the noob: I see that the GT210 is rated at 300W.

    Isn't that way beyond the max for the Proliant ?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrh View Post
    For the noob: I see that the GT210 is rated at 300W.

    Isn't that way beyond the max for the Proliant ?
    I wondered that myself, but the guy at Cybernatic said most of the guys buying the microserver are taking the GT210 with it.
    So I did too.

    I have the GT210 and 4 HDDs in this baby and she has been rock solid for 2 days now.

  15. #15
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    5,274

    Default

    Sooo tempted to buy one need a NAS for my IP cameras leaning towards the HPshop one for R2000 with the windows operating system . cant make up my mind now , problem is i do not know linux at all and always steered away from it because i tried to use it many years ago and that was a disaster .
    I have 3 PCs here one is used as a CCTV server with USB DVR ( 4 CCTV cameras on it )I am about to upgrade the whole system.
    I now have 7 CCTV cams and 1 IP cam with another one on the way
    If it walks like a duck and kwaks like a duck ..its a duck
    Full consciousness will come to very few people in their life time .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •