Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA-Brazil undersea-cable plans on track says eFive CEO

Default SA-Brazil undersea-cable plans on track says eFive CEO

SA-Brazil undersea-cable plans on track says eFive CEO

eFive Telecoms CEO Rosalind Thomas promises to connect South Africa and Brazil within two years

Will be nice to have a new route to the USA.

Only if there was enough local supply to handle all the international traffic. Hell i wonder if it wuldnt be better to build a house next to the landing station and connect directly to international cable lol.

Cool
    I never apologise. Iím sorry, thatís just the way I am.

And in other news, Telecoms CEO's laugh all the way to the bank as new cables triple profit margins while fooling the public on price reductions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    Linux does not care about your NTFS permissions.

Grandmaster

This cable is such good news =) Hopefully our ISP's get their asses into gear and make use of proper routing

“The only model that could feasibly exist [after the launch of WACS] is ‘infrastructure +’ and would depend on the appetite of the established, vertically-integrated operators for additional diversity,” argued Ramdhani.

“Rapid developments in DWDM technology mean that most cable systems are only operating at a small fraction of their latest technical capability. Combine this with the fact that future growth is constrained by the lack of national infrastructure and we can conclude that supply is already ahead of demand,” concluded Ramdhani.
    Telkom.. infrastructure's kryptonite.

Why another cable when the biggest problem is in national backhaul? No use opening the taps when the pipes down the line cannot handle more.

Quote Originally Posted by evilstebunny View Post
    Why another cable when the biggest problem is in national backhaul? No use opening the taps when the pipes down the line cannot handle more.
    I think you got your metaphor backwards there. Our pipes are fine, it's the taps that are constricted.

If London were to be nuked by an EMP (I'm thinking of that James Bond movie) then our international back-haul would be in trouble. But this makes for a nice alternative. Remember, the internet is all about redundancy in routing.
    Last edited by Glubbdrubb; 04-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Serial breaker of phones Chevron's Avatar

Hopefully this will lead to lower pings to the US.
    May your life be full of stories

Grandmaster

Nice lower pings to US!! Now we just need to sort out the ADSL network in SA, Come Telkom! fix it already, Telkom has enough fiber optic out there to supply, just that they are not upgrading the back end equipment.
    Who cares?

I have no idea what the business case was for this cable. We already have more than enough capacity on international. Also, the existing cable guys have enough headroom to upgrade because only the end point equipment is upgraded sometimes to get more capacity.

The problem is inland and seems these companies are blind to that. Of course I think building a terrestrial network is more expensive than the international underwater cable. Maintenance might be opposite though.

Also given the stiff stiff competition for adsl providers most of them will not subscribe to more than 2 cable companies for redundancy. Neotel is a huge disappointment as they have done nothing for the market.

So I don't see how prices are coming down.

By now ALL education institutions should have HIGHspeed internet connections....and me too!

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar View Post
    I have no idea what the business case was for this cable. We already have more than enough capacity on international. Also, the existing cable guys have enough headroom to upgrade because only the end point equipment is upgraded sometimes to get more capacity.
    More is better, besides more capacity it also gives us more diverse routes. The more players in the market theoretically it should drive prices lower due to competition.

That said most of these cables are under utilised and not delivering on a cost perspective.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    More is better, besides more capacity it also gives us more diverse routes. The more players in the market theoretically it should drive prices lower due to competition.

That said most of these cables are under utilised and not delivering on a cost perspective.
    eFive Telecoms is just the BEE partner because otherwise the Brazilian Telecoms company cannot land their cable in South Africa.

I wouldn't trust that company. It landing in PE, EL and Durban in addition to Cape Town does not make sense. I'll wait and see what happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast