Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 184 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2750

Thread: The PC Build Thread

  1. #2671
    Super Grandmaster Neoprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    13,862

    Default

    ^, looks good...I was going to suggest keeping the 3200Mhz memory but then I remembered your 4K gaming plan. More memory bandwidth is good for Ryzen but at 4K, your graphics card is going to be the limiting factor (so memory with more bandwidth isn't critical).

    the memory you've chosen is on Asus's QVL for the board so you're all good.

  2. #2672

    Default

    Have been away from the PC gaming scene for a while, and thinking of putting together a new desktop.

    Don't have insane requirements, just want something that's capable; I've never been one for overclocking, and 4K isn't anything that's in my foreseeable future.

    Would love some recommendations/opinions on which CPU to look at - I'm way behind on knowing how AMD and Intel stack up against each other - the last PC I put together had an i7 2600k.

    So if someone can shed some light on Ryzen vs Core, and whether to be looking at 5-series or 7-series, that'd be great!

    Also, spotted this deal on Carbonite: http://carbonite.co.za/showthread.ph...t=#post1199906 any thoughts?

    And then finally, I'll be looking for a graphics card too, and I'm a little lost where to start.

    Total budget for the system (and that should cover everything except for a monitor) not more than ~15K at most.

    Thanks for your help!

  3. #2673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anaphylaxus View Post
    Have been away from the PC gaming scene for a while, and thinking of putting together a new desktop.

    Don't have insane requirements, just want something that's capable; I've never been one for overclocking, and 4K isn't anything that's in my foreseeable future.

    Would love some recommendations/opinions on which CPU to look at - I'm way behind on knowing how AMD and Intel stack up against each other - the last PC I put together had an i7 2600k.

    So if someone can shed some light on Ryzen vs Core, and whether to be looking at 5-series or 7-series, that'd be great!

    Also, spotted this deal on Carbonite: http://carbonite.co.za/showthread.ph...t=#post1199906 any thoughts?

    And then finally, I'll be looking for a graphics card too, and I'm a little lost where to start.

    Total budget for the system (and that should cover everything except for a monitor) not more than ~15K at most.

    Thanks for your help!
    Hey Anaphylaxus

    I quickly added up an intel and AMD systems for you just above R15k. It's just base so you can add and remove some of the stuff.

    As for AMD vs Intel, the Ryzen CPUs are mathing up to Intel with gaming. Some games AMD preforms better and other Intel preforms better, but they are very close. I would say if you want to do more than just gaming, go for Ryzen.

    Also for GPUs, the best bang for the buck in your price range is a GTX 1060, able to play almost all games in 1080p, high settings over 60FPS.

    Intel Build

    Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7600

    GIGABYTE B250M-D3H

    Kingston HyperX Fury, 16GB Kit

    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Edition DUAL-GTX1060-O3G

    EVGA W1 600w PSU

    Cooler Master MasterBox 3 Lite

    ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB m.2 SSD

    Western Digital Blue 1TB

    Microsoft Windows 10 Home DSP


    AMD Build

    Same componests exept CPU and Motherboard.
    AMD boards are a bit more expensive. But you can always get ride of the SSD or something else.

    AMD Ryzen 5 1600

    ASUS PRIME A320M-K

    These are all new prodcuts.

  4. #2674
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rondebosch
    Posts
    9,265

    Default

    My i5 4670k is starting to show its age I think.

    When I play Bf1 multiplayer (64 player) and a lot is going on my FPS grinds right down. My GPU (1060 6GB) seems to be around 40 - 60% usage while the CPU is almost always at 100%. Seems to do the same thing whether its on ultra / high / medium settings. I have 12GB RAM and a SSD so I dont think that is the problem.

    Whats a proper upgrade? I read battlefield loves i7's.

  5. #2675
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    65,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    My i5 4670k is starting to show its age I think.

    When I play Bf1 multiplayer (64 player) and a lot is going on my FPS grinds right down. My GPU (1060 6GB) seems to be around 40 - 60% usage while the CPU is almost always at 100%. Seems to do the same thing whether its on ultra / high / medium settings. I have 12GB RAM and a SSD so I dont think that is the problem.

    Whats a proper upgrade? I read battlefield loves i7's.
    Cheapest upgrade route would be replacing cpu only, i7-4790k. see carbonite.

    What happens if you enable dsr in the nvidia control panel and up the in games res to 1440p?
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  6. #2676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Tech View Post
    Hey Anaphylaxus

    I quickly added up an intel and AMD systems for you just above R15k. It's just base so you can add and remove some of the stuff.

    As for AMD vs Intel, the Ryzen CPUs are mathing up to Intel with gaming. Some games AMD preforms better and other Intel preforms better, but they are very close. I would say if you want to do more than just gaming, go for Ryzen.

    Also for GPUs, the best bang for the buck in your price range is a GTX 1060, able to play almost all games in 1080p, high settings over 60FPS.

    Intel Build

    Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7600

    GIGABYTE B250M-D3H

    Kingston HyperX Fury, 16GB Kit

    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Edition DUAL-GTX1060-O3G

    EVGA W1 600w PSU

    Cooler Master MasterBox 3 Lite

    ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB m.2 SSD

    Western Digital Blue 1TB

    Microsoft Windows 10 Home DSP


    AMD Build

    Same componests exept CPU and Motherboard.
    AMD boards are a bit more expensive. But you can always get ride of the SSD or something else.

    AMD Ryzen 5 1600

    ASUS PRIME A320M-K

    These are all new prodcuts.
    Thank you - this looks like a good build! Going to work my way through the components, but this is a good starting point, thanks!

  7. #2677

    Default

    Looking for some advice and help on putting together a PC to be used as a media PC in the lounge to pair with my new 4k tv (with some gaming if possible). All the different socket types and what not has me confused as to what will work together, so asking for help :-) I understand that any hard drive will work with whatever motherboard, though don't know how to pair a video card, Ram etc. to the motherboard/processor and what size case to fit it in...

    I have a old HD5450 1G DDR3 video card, though not sure if its worth keeping...

    Budget is R6k max - though only need the box really...

    As always cheers for the advice!
    Digital Crap Shoveler

  8. #2678

    Default

    So as per above question...

    Would building a media PC around the 'Intel Core i3 7100 Dual Core 3.9 Ghz LGA1151 Kaby Lake processor' be a good bet?

    From what I could gather the on board graphics would be better than a HD5450 video card and should handle 4k video playback just fine? Does this sound about right
    Digital Crap Shoveler

  9. #2679
    Super Grandmaster Neoprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    13,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    So as per above question...

    Would building a media PC around the 'Intel Core i3 7100 Dual Core 3.9 Ghz LGA1151 Kaby Lake processor' be a good bet?

    From what I could gather the on board graphics would be better than a HD5450 video card and should handle 4k video playback just fine? Does this sound about right
    4k video, sure...it's not going to be any use gaming.

    Your budget of R6K is not going to get you a 4k gaming machine...might be sacrilege to suggest this in this thread but I'd look into a console.

  10. #2680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    So as per above question...

    Would building a media PC around the 'Intel Core i3 7100 Dual Core 3.9 Ghz LGA1151 Kaby Lake processor' be a good bet?

    From what I could gather the on board graphics would be better than a HD5450 video card and should handle 4k video playback just fine? Does this sound about right
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoprod View Post
    4k video, sure...it's not going to be any use gaming.

    Your budget of R6K is not going to get you a 4k gaming machine...might be sacrilege to suggest this in this thread but I'd look into a console.
    Bolded the relevant part.

    Some gaming if possible.
    Last edited by Soul Assassin; 16-10-2017 at 07:26 PM.

  11. #2681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neoprod View Post
    4k video, sure...it's not going to be any use gaming.

    Your budget of R6K is not going to get you a 4k gaming machine...might be sacrilege to suggest this in this thread but I'd look into a console.
    Gaming wise I was thinking of playing like the original duke nukem 3d definitely not expecting 4k gaming...

    Ok cool so the above processor should eliminate the need for a graphics card as far as playing 4k content smoothly is concerned?

    And a good motherboard to pair it with? This is where I get confused
    Digital Crap Shoveler

  12. #2682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Gaming wise I was thinking of playing like the original duke nukem 3d definitely not expecting 4k gaming...

    Ok cool so the above processor should eliminate the need for a graphics card as far as playing 4k content smoothly is concerned?

    And a good motherboard to pair it with? This is where I get confused
    All motherboards for the most part are created equally, some more so than others, but for your needs just get this:

    ASRock B250M-HDV

    It's only R1087, it supports the CPU you want, it has 6 SATA and 6 USB 3 ports and it even has a M.2 slot if you want to get a cheap OEM SSD off of Carbonite.

  13. #2683
    Super Grandmaster Neoprod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    13,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Gaming wise I was thinking of playing like the original duke nukem 3d definitely not expecting 4k gaming...
    Duke Nukem 3D came out for PS4 and Xbone a year or two ago

    Check if you can find an Intel G4600...it's much cheaper than the i3-7100 but offers similar performance (apart from AVX2 which is not important in a media \ gaming PC). A G4560 would be even cheaper (like half the price) but uses a slightly older model integrated graphics which is not good if you're not going to have a dedicated graphics card. I don't have numbers on hand but a G4560 and a R1500 GPU would probably beat an i3-7100 by a distance in gaming.

    The B250 chipset is the budget-friendly chipset for Kaby Lake so you can stick with the board Soul suggested (unless you find a cheaper one somewhere).

  14. #2684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neoprod View Post
    Duke Nukem 3D came out for PS4 and Xbone a year or two ago

    Check if you can find an Intel G4600...it's much cheaper than the i3-7100 but offers similar performance (apart from AVX2 which is not important in a media \ gaming PC). A G4560 would be even cheaper (like half the price) but uses a slightly older model integrated graphics which is not good if you're not going to have a dedicated graphics card. I don't have numbers on hand but a G4560 and a R1500 GPU would probably beat an i3-7100 by a distance in gaming.

    The B250 chipset is the budget-friendly chipset for Kaby Lake so you can stick with the board Soul suggested (unless you find a cheaper one somewhere).
    I don't think that's good advice, Netflix 4K requires minimum a 7th Gen Core CPU, not that the ones you listed aren't capable of 4K but it won't work with Netflix, best to get a Core CPU to future proof.

    What about the Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7400 from PotterH for R1700?

  15. #2685
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Niflheimr
    Posts
    65,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
    What about the Intel Kaby Lake Core i5-7400 from PotterH for R1700?
    Much better value than the i3
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 184 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •