You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DHCP server on XP (for LAN boot)

Default DHCP server on XP (for LAN boot)

My elderly Packard Bell easynote laptop has a broken CD drive. I want to use it as an XMBCbuntu server, as it is still working. Repairing the drive was quoted at R4000 which is a bit ridiculous.

I can set the laptop to boot from LAN, cd or hard drive. I wish I could use my external cd drive but I can't boot from usb.

Therefore my only option is over a LAN. I have a cross-over cable and a XP desktop machine leant to me by a friend.

On boot, my laptop tries the LAN but cannot connect to a DHCP server. What do I run on the desktop machine to do this?

(I would just connect to my home network... as my router should assign an IP, but I have only 1 LAN cable after my lovely girlfriend did some 'tidying up' and tossed out 'that mess of cables')

You do get simple DHCP utilities however your easiest would be to do Internet Connection Sharing. Add a fake dialup connection. Then right click on this connection -> properties -> advanced . Then share the connection. Your PC will start supplying out IP addresses.

Goodluck.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Unbeliever's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or you can have a look at Dualserver
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

+ Reply to Thread