Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 988

Thread: Introduction to Islam

  1. #76
    Super Grandmaster marine1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A black hole in the universe - JHB
    Posts
    45,198

    Default

    Not only a political topic but key to the heart of Judaism

  2. #77
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R/SGT View Post
    They are comparable as it denies Jesus true nature and is actually more offensive as it can be seen as a denial of god
    I don't think you properly noted wayfarer's words:

    It should be noted that while most Christians hold that their scripture makes no direct reference to Prophet Muhammad
    compared to

    the Quran unambiguously honours Jesus Christ as the Messiah
    While the latter might be unpalatable to (most) Christians (and obviously understandably so), it is mentioned directly in their Holy Scripture.
    On the other hand, the former shows that any claims Christians make regarding Islam's prophet can clearly not be based on the Bible.

    Hence, their claims regarding Jesus is based on what they consider to be Holy Scripture. But Christian claims regarding their (Islam's) prophet is not based on what Christians consider to be Holy Scripture. Now, as much as Christians are permitted to believe that Holy Scripture (the Bible, in this case) is the Truth, let us be fair and allow wayfarer the same courtesy (the Quran, in his case).

    For Christianity Jesus is the Be all and End all, as you say there is nothing in the Bible that says to be continued, therefore the fact that the Quran honours him is meaningless to Christains unless you accept the above as truth.
    I don't really follow your logic here. From what I can see, wayfarer could have considered Jesus as follows:

    1. revered Jesus as God
    2. honoured in some other way (e.g. Messiah, spirit of God)
    3. considered irrelevant/ignored
    4. denigrated

    1 would likely make him Christian, so that's just a ridiculous expectation (imho).
    4 would be insulting and offensive.
    3 would probably be fine.
    2 is rather admirable (religion B honouring a personality revered by religion A, albeit to a lesser degree), and that is what wayfarer said.

    Maybe you can explain why you have the expectation of 1, and why you find 2 to be offensive, but perhaps it is best if you do so in a separate thread dedicated to interfaith matters. This thread has (surprisingly!) been kept relatively decent so far. It would be a shame to pollute it with angry words due to interfaith differences.

  3. #78
    Super Grandmaster falcon786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Where I can see what I breathe.
    Posts
    8,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    Maybe you can explain why you have the expectation of 1, and why you find 2 to be offensive, but perhaps it is best if you do so in a separate thread dedicated to interfaith matters. This thread has (surprisingly!) been kept relatively decent so far. It would be a shame to pollute it with angry words due to interfaith differences.
    +1 I can concur.

    Would be a pity to derail the thread by taking it a bit to deep/far,which in itself is not a problem IMO R/SGT but i feel that there are many other threads where deeper issues could be debated/pointed out easily or even a new thread created,this is after all just an "intro" to islam thread.

  4. #79
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    Not only a political topic but key to the heart of Judaism
    And thus would be very much out of place in this thread. Perhaps you would like to start an Intro to Judaism thread?

  5. #80

    Default

    It did rather wander of topic, it should be a case of each to his own and respect that, however with regard to the add I originally queried the Muslim group should have worded it differently, as there wording makes it seem like an attack on the Christian faith.

    They should have replaced Jesus with Isa.

  6. #81
    Super Grandmaster falcon786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Where I can see what I breathe.
    Posts
    8,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    And thus would be very much out of place in this thread. Perhaps you would like to start an Intro to Judaism thread?
    Good idea,marine1 I think you should go ahead and create one.

  7. #82

    Default

    Only introduction I need is you are the biggest bunch of Morons and Hypocrites on this Planet
    and treat your woman like trash. Want to see true Islam go to Pakistan and the dirty back streets
    of Saudia Arabia. In the name of your religion you have caused more war and strife in this World
    in the last 50 years than the previous Centuries

  8. #83
    Super Grandmaster falcon786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Where I can see what I breathe.
    Posts
    8,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMag View Post
    ...rant about how childish I am and how I think I'm better than a couple of billion people...
    I knew it would get uncivilized sooner or later,well here we go

  9. #84
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    /\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falcon786 View Post
    I knew it would get uncivilized sooner or later,well here we go
    I think we're mature enough here to shrug off the trolls and keep a good topic going.

  10. #85
    Super Grandmaster falcon786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Where I can see what I breathe.
    Posts
    8,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    I think we're mature enough here to shrug off the trolls and keep a good topic going.
    You are right,the vast majority of the posters have been very mature and open minded so far we should just shrug of the trolls,they don't even deserve responses.

  11. #86
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    South Africa.
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMag View Post
    Only introduction I need is you are the biggest bunch of Morons and Hypocrites on this Planet
    and treat your woman like trash. Want to see true Islam go to Pakistan...
    I am quite impressed that it took this long for a troll to appear.

    Kudo's to all for the maturity in the thread...
    Better to Live 1 Day as a Lion then 1000 Years as a Sheep

  12. #87

    Default 5.2. Belief in the Prophets

    Main > Belief/Faith > Belief in the Prophets


    God sent us prophets out of His generosity, that we may be guided on earth, and acquire the knowledge to attain nearness to Him.

    Scholars mention 4 points that Muslims believe about all prophets:

    1. Truthfulness
    Prophets are truthful in all matters, including their claim to Prophethood. God supports this claim by manifesting miracles at their hands.

    2. Sinlessness
    It is not possible for prophets to commit sins because God has protected them from it and because they are examples to people.

    3. Conveyance of the Message
    Prophets conveyed the Message before they passed away from this world. They conveyed everything that they were ordered to convey.

    4. Intelligence
    Prophets were the most intelligent beings because intelligence is a necessary quality to implement God's guidance effectively, and to engage in dialogue and debate with those who doubted, and to convince them of the truth.

    God protected them from everything unbecoming them, and from every offensive or debilitating trait, such as leprosy or blindness, as God wants people to be attracted to the prophets and not to flee from them due to certain physcial traits that may repel some. However, prophets ate, drank, and married. While Prophets are humans, they are special humans - not like others, because they are the representatives of God to His creation. God chooses the best to represent Him.

    Prophets are the best of all created beings; and the highest of them was he whom God chose to be the final seal of Prophethood, whose Sacred Law superseded all previously valid religious laws, Prophet Muhammad.

    English speaking Muslims often refer to the prophets by the English version of their names. Some use the Arabic, and some use the English and Arabic interchangeably. Muslim scholars put the number of prophets throughout history to be about 124 000. The Quran mentions 25 of these by name:

    1. Adam
    2. Enoch
    3. Noah
    4. Heber
    5. Saleh
    6. Lot
    7. Abraham
    8. Ishmael
    9. Isaac
    10. Jacob
    11. Joseph
    12. Jethro
    13. Job
    14. Ezekiel
    15. Moses
    16. Aaron
    17. David
    18. Solomon
    19. Elias
    20. Elisha
    21. Jonah
    22. Zachariah
    23. John the Baptist
    24. Jesus
    25. Muhammad

    Some other prophets are mentioned in Hadith or are known through Oral tradition, such as Isaiah, Seth, Ezra, Daniel, Jeremiah and Samuel.

    Muslims make no distinction between the prophets in terms of their validity, but 5 prophets play a more prominent role, and these are Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad.
    Last edited by wayfarer; 23-08-2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: formatting

  13. #88
    Super Grandmaster marine1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A black hole in the universe - JHB
    Posts
    45,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    And thus would be very much out of place in this thread. Perhaps you would like to start an Intro to Judaism thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon786 View Post
    Good idea,marine1 I think you should go ahead and create one.
    Most people here are not religious, perhaps majority here are Atheists?

    Anyone who wants to learn about any religion can do so on the internet.

    I do not think one needs to create a thread trying to convince people that their religion is this or their religion is that.
    #FREEISRAEL

  14. #89
    Super Grandmaster Jings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    29,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marine1 View Post
    Most people here are not religious, perhaps majority here are Atheists?

    Anyone who wants to learn about any religion can do so on the internet.

    I do not think one needs to create a thread trying to convince people that their religion is this or their religion is that.
    And here I thought philosophy is learning through discussion and the exchange of ideas. Oh wait, it is.

    Do you feel convinced that their religion is this or that? If not, maybe the debaters are not trying hard enough.

  15. #90

    Default

    How does the Jesus in the Quran differ from that in the Bible?

    Is the Sermon on the Mount mentioned in Islam?
    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/mat005.htm#vrs3

    There are many irreconcilable differences between the teachings of Jesus (Christian) and Muhammad (Islam) how would you address them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My introduction
    By AnetteW in forum First Posts, Intros, Forum Questions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 30-06-2012, 08:49 AM
  2. Introduction
    By ISman in forum First Posts, Intros, Forum Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  3. New introduction here
    By Monermajetomi in forum First Posts, Intros, Forum Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
  4. Introduction...
    By Cybermoo in forum Apple Mac, iPad and iPhone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 15-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •