You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction to Islam

Why does Islam bring so many worldly concepts into its descriptions of heaven?

Why is Alcohol mentioned as forming part of paradise while been banned on Earth?

Default Jesus Christ and Prophet Muhammad, Muslims and Christians

Main > Q&A > Jesus Christ & Prophet Muhammad, Muslims & Christians

Quote Originally Posted by R/SGT View Post
    How does the Jesus in the Quran differ from that in the Bible?
    I will reply to this question soon.

Is the Sermon on the Mount mentioned in Islam?
    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/mat005.htm#vrs3
    Such eloquent proclamations of Truth are as rare as they are beautiful. There are some Muslim academics who go so far as to say that these verses, from the Beatitudes to the very end, more accurately represent Islamic doctrine than it does Christian doctrine and views on salvation. The Sermon on the Mount is not specifically or directly referenced in Islamic primary sources, but the sermon does fit the character of Jesus Christ as he is revered in Islam.

See an Islamic commentary on the Sermon on the Mount Part 1 & Part 2, as well this interpretive exposition on the primordial Islam that beams forth from those verses.

There are many irreconcilable differences between the teachings of Jesus (Christian) and Muhammad (Islam) how would you address them.
    It is not the teachings of Jesus Christ that differs from that of Prophet Muhammad, but the Pauline doctrine that differs from both their teachings. Even though Muslims question the authenticity/purity of present-day Bibles, you will be hard-pressed to find any of Jesus Christ's words (see red-letter Bibles) that contradict Islamic doctrine, particularly in the case of later versions of the Bible that have undergone more veracity checks and have been compiled from the oldest available manuscripts (such as the RSV Bible).

However, there are irreconcilable differences between Islamic doctrine and the doctrine espoused by most Christians. The way in which Muslims address these differences is to acknowledge them, since compromises could very well be blasphemous to both religions. While the differences are major, the two faiths have much more in common than they have differences, and Muslims have from the beginning respected Christians as People of Scripture. The Islamic approach can be gleaned from the Quranic verse:

"Say: O People of the Scripture! Come to a common word between us and you: that we shall worship none but God, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside God. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him)." (Quran 3:64)

Thus, Muslims are commanded to invite Christians to unite on that which they do have in common, and to vie with them in good works, and leave the judgements to God Almighty. Scholars hold that the common word between Muslims and Christians resonates with the Biblical verses:

"And Jesus answered him, The first of all commandments is…the Lord our God is one Lord; And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy understanding, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second commandment is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these." (Mathew 22, 34:40)

Muslims may not be part of the brotherhood of Christianity, but Muslims nevertheless regard themselves as the "neighbour" referenced in the above Biblical verses.

Also see: "Jesus and Muhammad, brothers in faith" by Gary Edwards.
    Last edited by wayfarer; 23-08-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: links

Why is Alcohol mentioned as forming part of paradise while been banned on Earth?
    Do you know how many Muslims drink alcohol?
    #FREEISRAEL

Quranic references to Heaven and Hell are often vivid, and worldly concepts enable even the unschooled reader to relate to its realities, and to easily juxtapose the pleasures of Paradise with the torments of the Fire.

Alcoholic beverages (khamr) are prohibited as intoxicants in the Quran. The Quran also makes mention of a drink and of "rivers of drink" in Heaven, which are often translated as wine and "rivers of wine". The Quran explains that this drink/wine is non-intoxicating, having none of the abhorrent qualities of normal alcoholic wine. (see Quran 37:47)

Default 5.2.1. Jesus Christ, the Messiah

Main > Belief/Faith > Belief in the Prophets > Jesus Christ, the Messiah

"The Christians had been so dazzled by the divine light reflected in the mirror-like heart of Jesus, that they mistook the mirror for the light itself, and worshipped it. But what was happening to Jesus was not categorically distinct from what happened, and may continue to happen, to any purified human soul that has attained the rank of sainthood. The presence of divine light in Jesus' heart does not logically entail a doctrine of Jesus' primordial existence as a hypostasis in a divine trinity." (Imam Al-Ghazali)

Background information

"Say: 'He is the One God: God the Eternal, the Uncaused Cause of All Being. He begets not, and neither is He begotten; and there is nothing that could be compared with Him.' " (Quran 112)

Humanity enjoys a very important place in the cosmos. While God is the Creator and Sustainer of everything, the human being is honoured to house an aspect of God within him/her. God says:

"Behold, I am about to create a human being out of clay; and when I have formed him fully and breathed into him of My spirit, fall you down before him in prostration." (Quran 15:29)

The above verse provides essential insights into the nature and position of humans in the universe. It says that a human is made of a dual nature, i.e. part earth and part divine spirit. Of these two opposing forces, one is animal, material, carnal (clay) and the other is the purest essence (the spirit of God). The clay aspect causes the individual to incline towards the earth, and the spirit aspect draws the individual towards God.

The human being is challenged to set forth on a journey of self purification, to pull aside the veil of the corporeal/material self, allowing the spiritual self to reflect the light that is yearned for. The spirit of God which resides in the human being longs for reunion with its original. According to a Hadith, God says:

“My servant continues drawing near to Me ... until I love him, and when I love him, I am the Hearing through which he hears, the Sight through which he sees, the Hand through which he grasps, and the Foot through which he walks.” (Hadith Qudsi)

This is helpful to understand the context in which Jesus Christ must be viewed. He is called in the Quran, a sign of God. The Prophets of God are generally all given this designation. They are all (from Adam to Muhammad) signposts marking the path to God, each one addressing both the universal nature of man and the specific contingencies of his time.

Jesus Christ is a signpost who links man back to his original ancestor (Adam, in his primordial state), and to a direct awareness of God. The Quran states:

"Verily, in the sight of God, the nature of Jesus is as the nature of Adam, whom He created out of dust and then said unto him, "Be" - and he is.[This is] the truth from thy Sustainer; be not, then, among the doubters." (Quran 3:59)

and also

"O People of the Gospels! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of God aught but the truth. The Messiah Jesus, the son of Mary, was (no more than) a messenger of God and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in God and His messengers. Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for God is one God: Glory be to Him: Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs." (Quran 4:171)

The “Word” is God's creative Word (with which He also created Adam), the “Spirit” is the Divine Spirit (which he also breathed into Adam). Thus Jesus Christ is created according to the mould of Adam - according to Adam's state before Adam was put into this world where God's presence is veiled and must be sought through signs. Thus Jesus Christ, from the moment of his miraculous conception to the time he is taken up to God, is one who was a purified soul.

Background information above adapted from "Jesus, an Islamic Perspective" by Irshaad Hussein.

The Role and Teachings of Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ is considered one of God's greatest Messengers, and the Quran affirms his miraculous birth:

"Behold! the angels said, 'Oh Mary! God gives you glad tidings of a Word from Him. His name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter, and in (the company of) those nearest to God. He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. He shall be (in the company) of the righteous...' " (Quran 3:45-47)

Jesus Christ was sent to the Children of Israel. God taught him the Torah and the Gospel - Jesus being instructed to reaffirm what was in the Torah, as well as to abrogate some of its rulings. The Quran continues:

"And He will teach him the Book, the Wisdom, the Torah, the Gospel,to be a Messenger to the Children of Israel saying, 'I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I will create for you out of clay as the likeness of a bird; then I will breathe into it, and it will be a bird, by the leave of God. I will also heal the blind and the leper, and bring to life the dead, by the leave of God. I will inform you too of what things you eat, and what you treasure up in your houses. Surely in that is a sign for you, if you are believers. Likewise confirming the truth of the Torah that is before me, and to make lawful to you certain things that before were forbidden unto you. I have come to you with a sign from your Lord; so fear you God, and obey you me. Surely God is my Lord and your Lord; so serve Him. This is a straight path'." (Quran 3:48-51)

Jesus Christ's Prophethood and Messengership status is further explained in the Quran:

"Christ, the son of Mary, was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how God makes His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!" (Quran 5:75).

and

"He [Jesus] said: 'I am indeed a servant of God. He has given me revelation and made me a prophet; He has made me blessed wheresoever I be; and He has enjoined on me prayer and charity as long as I live. He has made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable. So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!' Such was Jesus the son of Mary. It is a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is" (Quran 19:30-35).

Disputing the claims made about Jesus Christ's status as human or divine, the Quran clarifies:

"And behold! God will say [i.e. on the Day of Judgement]: 'Oh Jesus, the son of Mary! Did you say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God?' He will say: 'Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would indeed have known it. You know what is in my heart, though I know not what is in Yours. For You know in full all that is hidden. Never did I say to them anything except what You commanded me to say: 'Worship God, my Lord and your Lord.' And I was a witness over them while I lived among them. When You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a witness to all things'." (Quran 5:116-117).

The Quran further clarifies the teachings of Jesus Christ:

"When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: 'Now I have come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which you dispute. Therefore, fear God and obey me. God, He is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him -- this is a Straight Way.' But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement. So woe to the wrongdoers, from the penalty of a Grievous Day!" (Quran 43:63-65)

See also (external):

View video: The True Message of Jesus Christ

Read, for interest: The Gospel of Barnabas
    Last edited by wayfarer; 17-04-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added content

Default 5.2.2. Prophet Muhammad (part 1/2)

Main > Belief/Faith > Belief in the Prophets > Prophet Muhammad

The Orphan
    Muhammad was born in 570 in Mecca to a single mother whose husband died before she gave birth. Muhammad was of noble blood, and it was the custom for those children to have a wet nurse. A Bedouin woman named Halima cared for him, and took him into the desert to live with her people. It was a challenging environment, but it was here that Muhammad would develop his first close connection with nature, and spend most of his time in solitude contemplating the world around him.

He returned to his mother, Amina, who took him to visit his father’s grave, but on the return journey she fell fatally ill. Muhammad was barely 6 years old at the time. Later his own experience would help him to encourage compassion for orphans, telling his companions that kindness shown to parentless children would grant them Paradise.

The Shepherd, Businessman and Husband
    Muhammad went to live with his grandfather Abdul Muttalib, until he died when Muhammad was 8 years old. Again he faced emotional and physical upheaval, moving to live with his uncle Abu Talib. As a young boy, Muhammad earned his living as a shepherd, a role he later spoke about with fondness: “All the prophets of God were shepherds”. Later he would become renowned for his honest dealing with people in business and trade.

A wealthy businesswoman named Khadijah requested Muhammad’s expertise in negotiating a business venture for her. She was impressed with him and made enquiries about his character. On hearing the accounts of his generous and noble nature, she sent a proposal to the 25 year old man. Khadijah was a widow some fifteen years older than Muhammad, and had children from 2 previous marriages; she was intelligent, independent and kind. Muhammad accepted her offer. Their marriage was a happy and harmonious one: they consulted, supported and cared for each other in equal measure. She was his first love, the first he turned to for support, and the first to acknowledge his prophethood. They had 4 daughters together whom they cherished, and 2 sons, but they tragically both died in infancy.

The Revelation and the Message
    Muhammad had always treated those around him with honour, kindness and respect. However, he was troubled by the injustices he saw around him of backward tribal practices – of female infanticide, oppression of the vulnerable and inequality. He had distanced himself from ignorance, superstition and the practice of idol worship. He often retreated to a cave on the mountain of Hira to reflect, eager to change the situation.

It was now 610, Muhammad was aged 40 but at a point in his life where he had already faced great sorrows: losing both his parents at an early age, his grandfather and 2 young sons. One night, when he again went to the secluded cave to be alone with his thoughts, he encountered an experience that would dramatically change his life, his society and the wider world.

“Read!” a voice called out him. It was the angel Gabriel. Muhammad was frightened but responded he could not read – he was indeed illiterate. Again Gabriel commanded him to read, and a third time said “Read! In the name of your Sustainer. He who taught man by the pen that which he did not know.” (Quran 96)

Following this divine visitation, Muhammad went immediately to the one person he could relate his experience and find solace in: his wife. He was shaking from the experience; Khadijah wrapped him in a covering and comforted him. This was the first of many revelations that would come to him over a period of 23 years.

God had chosen Muhammad as his final messenger, the last in a line of many prophets before him, like Abraham, Moses, Joseph, and Jesus. All had brought the message of worshipping One God, of enjoining good and forbidding bad. But this message had become corrupted by men, and the moment had come once more to bring people back to the truth. The Quran emphasised the belief in the Oneness of God, related the creation of the heavens and the earth, stories of past prophets, the equality and sanctity of humanity, and the etiquettes of human behaviour.

Trials, Refuge and Exile
    Muhammad had a great task ahead of him. In preaching God’s word, he would face rejection, abuse, humiliation and even banishment from his own people. He had to overturn his society’s backward practices, instructing them to embrace a set of universal principles that would provide a benchmark for justice, eradicate racism, encourage them in acts of charity, protect the vulnerable, abolish the rigid class system, raise the status of women to an honoured position, and bring everyone back to the belief in one God.

But the leading tribe of the Meccans, the Quraysh, were staunch in their opposition. Muhammad had a small group of companions who believed in his message. They were targeted by the Quraysh who embarked on a campaign of torture. The first to die for Islam was a woman named Sumayyah, who after enduring the cruelty inflicted on her, was finally stabbed to death. She is a woman held in high esteem by Muslims for her steadfastness and strength of character.

It was now 615 and the situation for the Muslims had not improved. Muhammad heard of a just and compassionate ruler in Abyssinia, a Christian king who might offer refuge for the Muslims and sent 100 Muslim men and women to be placed under the king’s protection. Muhammad did not hesitate to turn to those of other faiths for their protection, he trusted and worked with others who had moral standing and dealt with justice no matter what their faith or background. His uncle, Abu Talib, who he loved and respected greatly was not a Muslim, but he offered invaluable support to his nephew.

The Quraysh, unable to break this small but growing band of Muslims, resorted to banishing them, forbidding any tribes to help them. Tribes depended on each other for sustenance, trade and protection in the harsh desert environment, so this embargo would mean starvation, deprivation and vulnerability. The embargo went on for 3 years, during which Muhammad and his companions retreated to the valleys surrounding Mecca to live a very difficult life. The ban was finally lifted, but it had taken its toll on the Prophet’s beloved wife, Khadijah. She died soon afterwards in a year known as The Year of Sorrow.

Muhammad’s grief was deep. He had lost his strongest supporter and confidante, the mother of his children. The same year, his uncle, who had been his protector, died in 620. Yet his mission was far from over, and he had the duty to continue his message and to protect those who had gathered around him.

continued in next post...
    Last edited by wayfarer; 23-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Default 5.2.2. Prophet Muhammad (part 2/2)

...continued from previous post

Night Journey
    Every prophet has his miracle, and it is said that the Quran was Muhammad’s miracle. Yet the Night Journey joins the many miraculous stories about prophets before him – of Jesus’ birth, of Jonah and the Whale, of Moses’ parting of the Red Sea.

Two years after the death of Khadijah, one evening Muhammad fell asleep by the Kabah and was awoken by the angel Gabriel who showed him a white horse (winged, according to some narrations). They both mounted and began the journey to Jerusalem where he met a group of prophets; amongst them were Abraham and Moses. Muhammad led them all in prayer at the Temple Mount. Then Muhammad again mounted the creature with Gabriel and went on a journey that transcended time and space through the 7 heavens. It was at the highest level that he received instructions for the five daily prayers.

Muhammad was profoundly affected by this spiritual and physical journey, seeing the wonders of the heavens, and meeting the brotherhood of prophets. Yet it was also a trial – when Muhammad recounted his experience, it left him open to more insults and jeers. Yet the lesson remained that true faith meant belief in the unseen and in the miracles of God.

Marriages
    It was the norm in Arabia for men to take many wives, but Muhammad remained monogamous to his first wife Khadijah throughout their marriage. A year after her death, he was encouraged to marry again. His subsequent marriages were formed for various reasons: to form alliances with other tribes in order to secure the survival of the Muslim community, to protect those who were threatened because of their faith, and to cement friendships. Many of his wives were widows with children, or divorcees. Aishah was the daughter of his closest friend Abu Bakr. Her marriage to Muhammad was arranged when she was very young, but their marriage was not consummated until she entered puberty. Aishah had an incredible intellect, and she became a respected scholar, skilled in medical knowledge. She spoke of Muhammad’s kindness and generosity to all his wives, a quality that he insisted upon from every husband to their spouse.

Migration
    The number of Muslims grew, and along with it grew the need to live free of tyranny. Many people had embraced Islam in the city of Medina, some 200 miles from Mecca. Muhammad decided his companions should relocate to where they would enjoy the freedom of religious expression and the confidence of being a real community. Agreements were made with the Jews of Medina, and all lived in protection, liberty and coexistence.

Conflict
    The move was a blow to the pride of the Quraysh who still tormented and persecuted the few Muslims who remained in Mecca. The Quraysh also confiscated all their property and belongings to show Muhammad that he had not won. Incensed by news of this, Muhammad organised expeditions on Meccan caravans in order to take compensation. He also sent missions to find out information of the Quraysh’s plots – he knew that an attack was likely. Yet one mission resulted in the death of a Quraysh leader despite Muhammad’s clear instruction that no conflict was to take place. A clash was imminent.

For the past thirteen years the Muslims were instructed in passive resistance, but a revelation now gave permission to fight those who oppressed them and had driven them from their homes. Muhammad had set off with over 300 Muslims to intercept a caravan in order to take goods in compensation, but the Quraysh found out about his plans and sent a thousand-strong army. The Muslims were not prepared for war, but they were determined to face their enemies. They won an incredible victory in what came to be known as the Battle of Badr.

The conflict was not at an end however, and more wars took place between the Quraysh, their allies and the Muslims, the latter suffering many losses. Muhammad now had military and political power, sending a strong message that they would not be trampled upon any further. As his influence increased, so too did attempts to assassinate him.

Conquest
    After years of hostility, power shifted towards Muhammad and the Muslims, and a treaty was finally agreed between the Quraysh and Muhammad, but this was violated by the former and Muhammad marched on Mecca in 630. But he took Mecca without bloodshed, peaceably and with dignity. Muhammad was in a position of power to seek revenge on those who had tortured and persecuted the Muslims, but he did not abuse his power, choosing instead to conquer Mecca with profound humility. His great mercy and compassion deeply impressed the tribes of Mecca, and a great number embraced Islam.

The Farewell Pilgrimage and the Final Breath
    Muhammad, accompanied by one hundred thousand of his companions, performed the final pilgrimage of his life to the Kabah in Mecca. Standing on what is known as the Mount of Mercy, he delivered his last speech with messages that would resound through time. He spoke of the equality of humankind, of women’s rights, fraternity, doing good, never oppressing anyone, human rights and justice.

Soon after the farewell sermon, Muhammad fell very ill with a fever which weakened him greatly. Though frail, he led his last prayer in the mosque in Medina, and repeated again and again that the poor and the vulnerable must be treated well. His final moments were with his wife Aishah. He rested his head in her lap while she stroked his head. Suddenly she felt his head become heavier. He had breathed his last breath. He died in 632 aged 63.

Legacy
    Muhammad caused a revolution in the space of 23 years, shaping the course of history, the effects of which we still see today. His commitment to the enduring values of justice, freedom, fraternity, charity and equality carried a universal message. What began as a small band of followers in 7th century Arabia has now grown to a global community of 1.5 billion, a fifth of the world’s population.

Muslims everywhere model their lives on his behaviour, from prayer to politics, personal hygiene to community involvement. This one man continues to inspire millions of lives 14 centuries after he lived.

Adapted from "Who was Muhammad - Inspired by Muhammad campaign"

See also:

View:
    Last edited by wayfarer; 23-08-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Ive seen Islam being conjured with Christianity.
    One thing I had never been able to grasp is how Allah is a single God, unable to have a son. But God of the Bible is a trinity, with Jesus the Son of God. How can the one God have a Son, and tge other not, but they both be the same God?

Super Grandmaster

Is that last speech recorded somewhere? I assume it is, if the whole Koran is.
    That which comes into existence will eventually break apart and pass away

Quote Originally Posted by Pakka View Post
    One thing I had never been able to grasp is how Allah is a single God, unable to have a son. But God of the Bible is a trinity, with Jesus the Son of God. How can the one God have a Son, and tge other not, but they both be the same God?
    That is because the trinity doctrine is not christian in origin , look up shiva or triune godhead in greek mythology and you will find the answer.
    I and the voice inside my head, which is actually my conscience, both agree that Jehovas partenalistic rulership is better than Satans liberal anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakka View Post
    Muslims generally believe that the Christian figure of God-the-Father is in fact the One God. Some historians/scholars further explain that the amalgamation of Jesus Christ with God, as well as the concept of the Holy Spirit are entirely novel innovations added by Paul and some other early Christians. The fact that Muslims regard Christians as having unnecessarily compounded the person of God (even blasphemed Him, in so doing) does not mean that different gods exist. It is essentially the same God.

See also: Trinity, a Muslim Perspective
    Last edited by wayfarer; 06-11-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: link

Default Prophet Muhammad's Farewell Sermon

Main > Q&A > Prophet Muhammad's Farewell Sermon

Quote Originally Posted by Geriatrix View Post
    Is that last speech recorded somewhere? I assume it is, if the whole Koran is.
    Prophet Muhammad's farewell sermon has been recorded in Hadith and is not part of the Quran. Prophet Muhammad only included into the Quran that which God commanded to be in it.

The Farewell Sermon

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today.

O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as sacred, so regard your lives and property as sacrosanct. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds. God has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity. God has judged that there shall be no interest, and all the interest due to Abbas ibn 'Abd'al Muttalib (Prophet's uncle) shall henceforth be waived...

Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under God's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right, to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not fraternise with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People, listen to me in earnest, worship God, make your five daily prayers, fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat (money/food/alms for poor/needy). Perform Hajj (pilgrimage) if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor has a non-Arab any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Know that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim, and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to you which belongs to your brother unless it was given freely and willingly. Therefore, do not wrong yourselves.

Remember, one day you will appear before God and answer for your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.

O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand the words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and my example, and if you follow these you will never go astray.

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words even better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O God, that I have conveyed your message to your people".
    Last edited by wayfarer; 23-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Default Adam and Eve's descent from Paradise

Main > Q&A > Adam and Eve's descent from Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Geriatrix View Post
    Hmm, not really. I wanted to know about Adam and the Garden of Eden. Christian lore had him as immortal until he sinned. I wondered if Islam had a similar view.
    No. While the story is similar, there are some fundamental differences. Adam and Eve's souls are certainly everlasting, as are yours and mine. But the body is not. Also:

• Adam is responsible for his own actions (eating forbidden fruit), and does not blame his partner, Eve. She, in turn, is responsible for her own actions.
    • Childbirth and menstrual pain are not punishments for all women because of their grandmother's actions.
    • Every human is born in a natural state of innocence, and not in original sin, and humanity therefore does not require (the absurd notion of) having an innocent crucified.
    • Adam and Eve's descent to earth was not a punishment. God had decreed this even before they ate the fruit.
    • God does not respond with wrath to the eating of the fruit, but with mercy.
    • The fruit was forbidden to test Adam and his partner, and through eating the fruit, Adam and Eve showed the first acts of free will. It demonstrated that humanity was prepared for its worldly sojourn, but would ultimately return Him.

See Quranic accounts:

"And We made covenant with Adam before, but he forgot, and We found in him no constancy.
    And when We said to the angels, 'Bow yourselves to Adam'; so they bowed themselves, save Iblis (Lucifer); he refused.
    Then We said, 'Adam, surely this is an enemy to thee and thy wife. So let him not expel you both from the Garden, so that thou art unprosperous.
    It is assuredly given to thee neither to hunger therein, nor to go naked, neither to thirst therein, nor to suffer the sun.'
    Then Satan whispered to him saying, 'Adam, shall I point thee to the Tree of Eternity, and a Kingdom that decays not?'
    So the two of them ate of it, and their shameful parts revealed to them, and they took to fashioning upon themselves leaves of the Garden. And Adam disobeyed his Lord, and so he erred (against himself).
    Thereafter his Lord chose him, and turned again unto him, and He guided him.
    Said He, 'Get you down, all of you, out of it, enemies to each other;
    but if there comes to you from Me guidance, then whosoever follows My guidance shall not go astray, neither shall he be unprosperous;
    but whosoever turns away from My remembrance, his shall be a life of narrowness, and on the Resurrection Day We shall raise him blind.' "
    (Quran 20:115-124)

also

"And We have certainly created you, (O Mankind), and given you (human) form. Then We said to the angels, "Prostrate to Adam"; so they prostrated, except for Iblees. He was not of those who prostrated.
    (God) said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you?" (Satan) said, "I am better than him. You created me from fire and created him from clay."
    (God) said, "Descend from Paradise, for it is not for you to be arrogant therein. So get out; indeed, you are of the debased.
    (Satan) said, "Reprieve me until the Day they are resurrected."
    (God) said, "Indeed, you are of those reprieved."
    (Satan) said, "Because You have put me in error, I will surely sit in wait for them on Your straight path.
    Then I will come to them from before them and from behind them and on their right and on their left, and You will not find most of them grateful (to You)."
    (God) said, "Get out of Paradise, reproached and expelled. Whoever follows you among them - I will surely fill Hell with you, all together."
    And "O Adam, dwell, you and your wife, in Paradise and eat from wherever you will but do not approach this tree, lest you be among the wrongdoers."
    But Satan whispered to them to make apparent to them that which was concealed from them of their private parts. He said, "Your Lord did not forbid you this tree except that you become angels or become of the immortal."
    And he swore (by God) to them, "Indeed, I am to you from among the sincere advisors."
    So he made them fall, through deception. And when they tasted of the tree, their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten together over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And their Lord called to them, "Did I not forbid you from that tree and tell you that Satan is to you a clear enemy?"
    They said, "Our Lord, we have wronged ourselves, and if You do not forgive us and have mercy upon us, we will surely be among the losers."
    (God) said, "Descend, being to one another enemies. And for you on the earth is a place of settlement and enjoyment for a time."
    He said, "Therein you will live, and therein you will die, and from it you will be brought forth (back to God)."
    O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness - that is best. That is from the signs of God that perhaps they will remember.
    O children of Adam, let not Satan tempt you as he removed your parents from Paradise, stripping them of their (righteous) clothing to show them their nakedness. Indeed, he sees you, he and his tribe, from where you do not see them. Indeed, We have made the devils allies to those who do not believe."
    (Quran 7:11-27)

View:
    Last edited by wayfarer; 02-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Are all Muslim children intruded to Islam in this fashion, or is it just confined to extremists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3m3t87-dk

Quote Originally Posted by jingaling View Post
    Are all Muslim children intruded to Islam in this fashion, or is it just confined to extremists?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3m3t87-dk
    No, but children are taught about God from a young age, as parents are eager to guide their children to worship, know and love God, as God informs us that this is key to success in this world and in the next. But jingaling (you have a cool sounding name), with videos like this uploaded in boast, I can fully understand why so many have a skewed understanding of mainstream Islam.

The views and method used in the clip is well-known to be of the Wahhabi deviation. For example:

God's wrath is directed at the Jews?
    This statement is not a mainstream view. Sure, there are some among the Muslims, Christians, Jews and many other groups, who by their actions, incur the wrath of God. But a blanket statement like that wreaks of arrogance, bigotry and hatespeech. There are contexts in which the Quran strongly criticises Jews (for specific things), but there are also the following Quranic verses:
    "Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (Quran 5:69)
    and
    "Among the People of the Book (Jews and Christians) there are some who believe in God and in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down to them, and who are humble before God. They do not sell God's signs for a paltry price. Such people will have their reward with their Lord. And God is swift at reckoning." (Quran, 3:199)
    and
    "... There is a community among the People of the Book (Jews and Chrisitans) who are upright. They recite God's signs throughout the night, and they prostrate. They believe in God and the Last Day, and enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, and compete in doing good. They are among the righteous. You will not be denied the reward for any good thing you do. God knows those who guard against evil." (Quran, 3:113-115)

The Christians are THE misguided?
    It is a well-known fact that religions do regard belief systems that contradict their fundamental beliefs as being misguided. But once again, to refer to a group as THE misguided, and to teach this type of condescending view of the "other" to young children is not the spirit in which mainstream Muslims teach their children. Also, that attitude suspiciously involves turning a blind eye to the Quranic verses quoted above (the verses refer to both Jews and Christians).

Use of the rosary (prayer beads) is a condemned innovation in the religion?
    Virtually every Muslim house has numerous prayer beads, in various number sets, used in religious devotions. Often, even motor vehicles of Muslims have a rosary hanging from the rear view mirror, to be at hand at any time to count praises to God (and for some it is a symbol of identity). It is only the Wahhabi sect that believe that its use is a harmful innovation.

The birthday celebration of Prophet Muhammad is an innovation?
    Mosques across the globe are lit up with colourful lights and displays and hold lectures on the importance of excellence in behaviour/character, Muslims dress up in colourful new clothing, praises and poems are sung in Prophet Muhammad's honour, extra efforts at charity are made, in many places Muslims have celebratory marches lead by singing bands. And Wahhabis hold lectures condemning birthday celebrations or (at best) do nothing.

Music is forbidden?
    Please permit me to answer this one by simply saying LOL.

Celebrate killing (and teaching this to a child)?
    No longer funny.
    Last edited by wayfarer; 04-09-2012 at 07:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 17 57 ... LastLast