You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discovery HealthID: kiss your medical history's privacy goodbye

Exclamation Discovery HealthID: kiss your medical history's privacy goodbye

I would like to draw everyone's attention to the security flaws in the Discovery Health iPad app: there is no security at all. Furthermore, Discovery's servers will automatically trust any iPad that claims to provide "permission" from the client, and tell the iPad user anything they want to know about the user's medical history, claims, chonic conditions, and so on.

My blog article gives more details, but essentially the problem is this: Discovery Health will publish your medical history to anyone who requests it, and you can't prevent it from happening. You can authorise it in advance, but you can't stop it in advance.

If the doctor happens to lose his iPad on a plane, or have it stolen from his office, or even just accessed by someone in his office, there is nothing in place to prevent this from happening. And there are plenty of life insurance companies who would be most interested in knowing exactly what medication you claim for, how often you visit a psychologist or psychiatrist, and so on. Not to mention marketing companies.

Right now we are protected because the information is scattered in diverse paper files and offline accounting systems, but the HealthID app aims to centralise it all on Discovery's servers, where they can look at the data captured by your doctor, along with their own.
    Donn Edwards
    Security Now! listener
    So We’re In Agreement Maxim: If you’re happy with your security, so are the bad guys.

Are you sure there isn't a login required for each users information each time it is needed? Discovery is a smart company, I wouldn't expect them to put out an app with such a serious flaw.
    "The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
    Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

This is great! Where can I download this app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    It's ignorant to think that reason and science necessarily leads to progress.

And there are plenty of life insurance companies who would be most interested in knowing exactly what medication you claim for, how often you visit a psychologist or psychiatrist, and so on.
    I cannot see that this will be a bad thing? Unless you are dishonest and claim fraudulently?

Are you sure there is no login procedure?

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Fudzy

Centralising the data is never a bad thing, access control is though. I'd wait for the system to be up officially. Have you tried sending these security findings through to them?

Super Grandmaster

If this is true they should start scheduling court appearances.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

Sounds good. I like the idea. Is there an Android app?

In terms of the law and being a Financial Services Provider they will need to abide by the law and client information and the allowing of the information to get out will not be looked on lightly by the powers that be.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    In terms of the law and being a Financial Services Provider they will need to abide by the law and client information and the allowing of the information to get out will not be looked on lightly by the powers that be.
    Discovery Health is not a Financial Services Provider.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Discovery Health is not a Financial Services Provider.
    Yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Yes, they are.
    Last time I checked, Discovery Health didn't offer any Financial services - they are a medical aid scheme. The financial services are provided by Vitality/FNB.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Last time I checked, Discovery Health didn't offer any Financial services - they are a medical aid scheme. The financial services are provided by Vitality/FNB.
    Medical Aid = short term insurance -> Financial service.

Check again.

Fudzy

www.discovery.co.za

Clear distinction between the different operating bodies.

Discovery credit card...
    If your still here... You've still got mistakes to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Le^stat View Post
    Discovery credit card...
    Re-branded FNB card

here you go:

In South Africa, we operate in the health insurance market through Discovery Health, the life assurance market through Discovery Life, the financial services market through Discovery Invest and DiscoveryCard and in the wellness arena through Discovery Vitality. All operating subsidiaries are 100% owned by Discovery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast