Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neotel WiMax over Telkom (non functional) ADSL

Default Neotel WiMax over Telkom (non functional) ADSL

Hi All,

I live in Morningside, Johannesburg. I am on Telkom's French ln exchange, the dslam is around the corner from me...but despite all this I get pings of 25ms, attenuation of 2.5 but barely download speeds higher than 100kbps. I had Telkom out twice now and they said it might be the line to the house, as well the as the Telkom box in our complex needing replacement. I have now given Telkom a 7 day ultimatum to sort it out, or I cancel my service.

Now sometime in the next 7 days Neotel will be coming out to check the WiMax signal at my house. Question is, is it worth it. R750 for uncapped 1mb line but will it be worth it in terms of speed?

Anything right now is better than the non-existant Telkom service, but dont want to commit to WiMax if the end result is not worth it.
    "Of all men's miseries the bitterest is this: to know so much and to have control over nothing" -Herodotus

I've had Neotel's WiMAX 5Mb option for just on a year.

It's been down twice :

1) Aerial fell off the roof (The installers (Ellies) used what looked like 'coach bolts' for attachment to a brick wall..)
    2) Fiber break on Neotel's base station - fixed within 4 hours

W

actually thinking now of getting neotel to come do a site survey by place too.
    MSI P67A-GD65 | 2500k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 cooler | 16GB Vengeance DDR3 1600 | Corsair AX750| Asus 7970 | Corsair 600T | Samsung 27" LED | [RoS] Clan

Blog Entries

You might want to try the following, before signing a contract for Wimax services and paying all the installation charges:

Apply for a completely new telephone and ADSL line from Telkom. Choose one of the Telkom Closer options so you don't pay installation fees. I believe there are also other packages that give free installation without binding you to a contract. Once it is installed, and you're happy that it is stable, cancel the old line. Ask Telkom to transfer your telephone number it to the new line when cancelling. But only cancel after the second line is installed and running. That way Telkom will be forced to connect the new line to a different port at the DSLAM/Exchange, and ensure that is is working and stable. You also bypass any of your existing cabling from the exchange to your house as Telkom have to put your new line on a new copper circuit. If you first cancel, then apply for a new line, you will very likely be connected along the same circuit, and to the same port, and you could lose your telephone number as well.

It's a long process, and costs a bit of money, but it works. Better than suffering for months or years, waiting for Telkom to fix the problem (log fault, wait several days, Telkom closes it as resolved, although nothing appears to have been done, and your line is still faulty. Rinse and repeat). Also new lines and new subscribers are generally given higher priority with Telkom.

It is also cheaper than Wimax, doesn't bind you to a contract or force you to pay huge installation charges. Fixed line is also way better than any wireless offering. Judging from your line stats (attenuation of 2.5? is that right? or is it 25?) you should be able to get up to 10mbps when Telkom ugrades your exchange, if it has not already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    You might want to try the following, before signing a contract for Wimax services and paying all the installation charges:

Apply for a completely new telephone and ADSL line from Telkom. Choose one of the Telkom Closer options so you don't pay installation fees. I believe there are also other packages that give free installation without binding you to a contract. Once it is installed, and you're happy that it is stable, cancel the old line. Ask Telkom to transfer your telephone number it to the new line when cancelling. But only cancel after the second line is installed and running. That way Telkom will be forced to connect the new line to a different port at the DSLAM/Exchange, and ensure that is is working and stable. You also bypass any of your existing cabling from the exchange to your house as Telkom have to put your new line on a new copper circuit. If you first cancel, then apply for a new line, you will very likely be connected along the same circuit, and to the same port, and you could lose your telephone number as well.

It's a long process, and costs a bit of money, but it works. Better than suffering for months or years, waiting for Telkom to fix the problem (log fault, wait several days, Telkom closes it as resolved, although nothing appears to have been done, and your line is still faulty. Rinse and repeat). Also new lines and new subscribers are generally given higher priority with Telkom.

It is also cheaper than Wimax, doesn't bind you to a contract or force you to pay huge installation charges. Fixed line is also way better than any wireless offering. Judging from your line stats (attenuation of 2.5? is that right? or is it 25?) you should be able to get up to 10mbps when Telkom ugrades your exchange, if it has not already done so.
    Thanks for the reply. And yes, the attenuation is 2.5. The exchange is right outside my complex gate. The installation charges for the WiMax is only R500 and there is no hardware cost involved. Will see what Telkom has to say after my rant this morning.

As for the exchange upgrade, when I enter my number into the upgrade query on the Telkom website it says that it does not fall within the current scheduled upgrades. I asked someone at Telkom if our exchange is due for an upgrade and they said it was "probably" but could not give any details other than that.
    Last edited by Hugo_ZA; 24-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    "Of all men's miseries the bitterest is this: to know so much and to have control over nothing" -Herodotus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo_ZA View Post
    Thanks for the reply. And yes, the attenuation is 2.5. The exchange is right outside my complex gate. The installation charges for the WiMax is only R500 and there is no hardware cost involved. Will see what Telkom has to say after my rant this morning.

As for the exchange upgrade, when I enter my number into the upgrade query on the Telkom website it says that it does not fall within the current scheduled upgrades. I asked someone at Telkom if our exchange is due for an upgrade and they said it was "probably" but could not give any details other than that.
    Attenuation of 2.5 is awesome. Being so close to the exchange, when we eventually get VDSL, you'll probably be able to sync at the full 40mbps speeds, and higher if/when enabled. I would stick with ADSL, and try to get it sorted out.

Don't believe everything the Telkom website states. If I put my own number in, it says that I am currently on 4mbps, and that is the highest. But I am currently on 8mbps, and the exchange supports up to 10mbps.

Upgrades from Telkom are starting to progress much faster. I never thought I would be able to get an 8mbps line anytime in the next 2 years, but I have one now, and it is fast and stable.

Is the Wimax option from Telkom or Neotel? Is it for a contracted period, or month to month? If from Neotel, I would be worried. There customer service and support for consumers is atrocious, disgusting (Business clients are treated well though). I would definitely not sign up for any Neotel consumer services.

If you do decide to go that route, make sure you pay via EFT. Don't sign a debit order, and don't give them your banking details or credit card details. Billing errors from Neotel are numerous, and almost impossible to rectify and claim your money back. Just a bit of warning.

Also, with so many changes happening in the ADSL, 3G and broadband market, I would advise against signing any contracts. Prices are always coming down, and upgrades are constantly taking place, both on the wired and wireless networks. I really think you should apply for a new line and see what happens. If you can afford to pay an extra month's rental.
    Last edited by Saajid; 24-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Meh,I'm happy as a pig in mud at the office running Neotel WiMax as the primary and DSL as backup connection,i've never to to switch to the DSL since it's installation
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance (Server and Desktop support)

Well Ellies is at my house right now doing the installation. We have direct, un-obstructed line of sight to the base station from the roof, and the signal is perfect so will report back with a speed test of my (supposed) 4mb Telkom line VS the 1mb Neotel WiMax.

Neotel is in and working. Speed test results:

Neotel 1mb: Upload 1.29mbps | Download 1.1mbps | Ping 35ms
    Telkom 4mb: Upload 0.3mbps | Download 0.54mbps | Ping 55ms

+ Reply to Thread