Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Pro upgrade for R299 now available online!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Niren_M View Post
    Got the same error message!
    That f' sucks. So, I cannot download because of Afrihost!

How huge is the download? May have to purchase PAYG packages on FNB Connect.
    Just use another account to get past that message, then use your Afrihost to download the ISO. Haven't tested this yet, at work at the moment, will try it later.

I have a question

I am currently using Windows 8 Release Preview 64-Bit on my laptop. I do have genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, but it is not installed at the moment.

Will I be able to upgrade from Windows 8 RP to Windows 8 Pro at R299?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.CookieMonster View Post
    I have a question

I am currently using Windows 8 Release Preview 64-Bit on my laptop. I do have genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, but it is not installed at the moment.

Will I be able to upgrade from Windows 8 RP to Windows 8 Pro at R299?
    No, you will have to install your win 7 64 bit with it's licence and then you can update to windows 8 pro. Someware in the update process it checks your licence and if it doesn't find one, it will just roll you back to your current OS.

Quote Originally Posted by DearHeart View Post
    OK, download is just about complete, then I'm going to do a backup of the current disk image, just in case - will then follow the instructions and activate via phone. If that fails, will pop the image back on the disk and do the normal upgrade.
    Please let us know how this goes! I would love to buy the upgrade, and just give them my Vista key over the phone as I never do upgrades.
    Feeling violated on the evil internetz? Download PeerBlock 1.2 (r693) for Windows!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    No, you will have to install your win 7 64 bit with it's licence and then you can update to windows 8 pro. Someware in the update process it checks your licence and if it doesn't find one, it will just roll you back to your current OS.
    Okay.

I lost my Dell Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM disc If I get another Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM disc, will it still take my PC as having geniune Windows 7?
    Last edited by Mr.CookieMonster; 26-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Is the whole ISO 2GB? I'm using the upgrade assistant from windows 7 and it started my 2GB download but I want a fresh install from the ISO not just an upgrade, is the 2GB file just an upgrade?

I am also affected by the Afrihost issue.

Afrihost tell me they are trying to get Microsoft to resolve the issue. Lets hope it happens soon.
    Think the Telkom ripoff is bad in SA? Wait till you see the way that financial services companies and their agents spurge your money.:www.wynsam.co.za

Grandmaster

Thumbs up Installation feedback

That wasn't too bad, my personal experience dispelled quite a few myths Hope the following will be helpful. Upgrade was done on a 5 year old Lenovo Z61e and I did not encounter one single driver issue, everything just work first time.

• Download process. First of all, as stated elsewhere, the Microsoft download page states that the upgrade costs R299. Upon running the wizard, the purchase price was in USD, not Rand. I tried to report this issue to MS but the feedback was dismal. I went ahead and paid via PayPal. Download took about 45 minutes on my 6Mps line. Afterwards the process took quite a while to verify and build the ISO.
    • Installation I chose to boot from a DVD with the ISO burnt on it. The wizard asked for the product key upfront. Here's good news!, I chose advanced install, deleted/created/formatted a new partition and held my breath. Lo and behold, when Windows 8 boot for the first time the activation was already done! So, this is official, you can do a clean install without having the original OS installed and you do not have to activate afterwards. Note: when you run the upgrade wizard it gives you 32-bit/64-bit depending on your base system, you can not use the ISO to install 64-bit in this way. I suppose you need to get hold of a 64-bit ISO elsewhere.
    • Windows 8 Media Center Pack. Asked for the key here, key was emailed a few hours later and installed without a problem. Tried to play a movie DVD but it complained about screen res, still not sure how to play DVD without a third-party app.
    • Office 2003 installation. Encountered an error but click "ignore" and it installed and activate fine.

So, if you got it in your head, you've got it in a nutshell! Will give further feedback if anything comes up.

Grandmaster

so what if someone is running an older windows that for whatever reason is not licensed? how does one purchase windows 8?
    the world is not what it seems

Is it necessary to do an ISO backup of the OS before I upgrade?
    [Inspirational Quote]

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dayav07 View Post
    Is it necessary to do an ISO backup of the OS before I upgrade?
    You can choose an option to start the installation directly. I suppose it will leave the installation folder intact with the option to create an ISO or flash installation later on, can't verify this though.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by droplet View Post
    so what if someone is running an older windows that for whatever reason is not licensed? how does one purchase windows 8?
    You have to purchase the System Builder pack, aka DSP version for about R1200. This version is tied to a single device and the license can't be transferred.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by DearHeart View Post
    You have to purchase the System Builder pack, aka DSP version for about R1200. This version is tied to a single device and the license can't be transferred.
    that is made of every kind of fail
    the world is not what it seems

I figured this out today:

How to get Windows 8 Pro for $15

This method will work with any qualifying version of Windows 7 which is essentially all versions. Go to:

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com

and register for the upgrade. Make sure you use Internet Explorer (NOT Chrome or Firefox) on a real Windows computer, NOT a virtual pc or mac. This will allow you to complete the registration without having to enter a product key. Select "other" for brand of computer and "desktop" for model of computer.

Once you receive you discount code, download the upgrade assistant on that same PC or even in a virtual machine, follow the instructions, pay using credit card or PayPal, make sure you enter the discount code to get the price lowered from $40 to $15. You should then receive an email from Microsoft instantly with your new product key for Windows 8 Pro. You can then download the installer and install Windows 8 with that key.

I'm currently downloading Windows 8 (2GB) within Parallels on my Mac. The version of Windows 7 installed in Parallels is the Enterprise version I got for free mentioned here:

http://iphoneza.co.za/showthread.php...free-(sort-of)

This means that you don't actually have to buy Windows 7 at all to get Windows 8 Pro for $15. Also, this method will allow you to purchase 5 product keys at $15 each.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Niren_M View Post
    Got the same error message!
    That f' sucks. So, I cannot download because of Afrihost!

How huge is the download? May have to purchase PAYG packages on FNB Connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
    Just use another account to get past that message, then use your Afrihost to download the ISO. Haven't tested this yet, at work at the moment, will try it later.
    Tested, working flawless. Go through the purchase procedure with another account and when the download start, just pause and switch back to afrihost and continue downloading.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast