Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Private Wimax Network

Default Private Wimax Network

Can i setup my own private Wimax Network to connect 3 Premises in the Johannesburg area? Would i need a license to do so? Would i need to get permission from ICASA or would i have to have the network setup via a licensed ISP?

Reason i would like to use Wimax to connect the premises is because they are all leased and located in areas where wired connections are not reliable. It also saves on monthly costs since the CPE would have been purchased once off and there would be an inhouse IT guy to manage the network.
    Last edited by TheeAndre; 11-12-2012 at 10:58 PM.

as far as I know Wimax uses licensed bands which you will require a license for, what could work is to use wifi in the 5.8Ghz range which public non license bands

see example
    http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/p...roducts_id=783

as far as I know Wimax uses licensed bands which you will require a license for, what could work is to use wifi in the 5.8Ghz range which public non license bands

see example
    http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/p...roducts_id=783

licensing wimax band for 3 premises? would be cheaper to install your own fiber network as that's a once off cost

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post
    licensing wimax band for 3 premises? would be cheaper to install your own fiber network as that's a once off cost
    The properties are leased and pulling fibre is way more expensive. Easier to purchase once off Wimax CPE and interconnect the 3 premises in different location around Johannesburg.

Quote Originally Posted by nerf View Post
    as far as I know Wimax uses licensed bands which you will require a license
    Are there any Wimax bands in the public range that do not require licensing? I know the quality might be low but could work better in connecting the 3 premises and keeping recurring 3rd party (ISP) costs low.

Why not outdoor wireless in the public 2.4 or 5.8Ghz bands? Range can go anywhere up to 50 kms. Try http://www.jawug.org.za/ for assistance.

Don't want this happening ... again ... http://www.telecoms.com/27426/wimax-...e-controversy/

Quote Originally Posted by mrvanv View Post
    Why not outdoor wireless in the public 2.4 or 5.8Ghz bands? Range can go anywhere up to 50 kms. Try http://www.jawug.org.za/ for assistance.
    Thanks. I've been going through their website and it seems as though i need to have LOS to make this work. I've been looking for equipment that can connect to their Wireless connection via a simple indoor CPE or USB device. Do you know of any suppliers who offer equipment for this solution?

Default Re: Private Wimax Network

I never commit to memory anything that can easily be googled.

Quote Originally Posted by TheeAndre View Post
    Thanks. I've been going through their website and it seems as though i need to have LOS to make this work.
    Yes LOS is critical for any ptp wireless link.

Jawug is probably not going to work so great for your requirements. It is community run and managed, speed and reliability are not guaranteed.

If you want a proper solution you must either rent links through an existing wisp: wapa.org.za or if you have the expertise and really want to go DIY then consider renting space on a high-site with your own equipment: webb / multisource

Quote Originally Posted by TheeAndre View Post
    The properties are leased and pulling fibre is way more expensive. Easier to purchase once off Wimax CPE and interconnect the 3 premises in different location around Johannesburg.
    I suppose all three premises are quite apart and no clear LOS between them, right? and you just want to run internal data as fast as it can be. If you get a wireless ISP to connect all your premises on their network, with whatever speed you can afford, that will make a decent network for your needs. (It will run on their own backbone). The only problem is that even if the CPE can be purchased, you will have to pay monthly for access to their network and route the traffic.

If the premises were close to each other with clear LOS, then just get your own equipment and point them to each other. Google "optical wireless".

Check with EOH network solutions. Maybe they can help.

+ Reply to Thread