Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TELKOM WIMAX being Canceled!

Exclamation TELKOM WIMAX being Canceled!

So I received this below letter from Telkom, they are now going to cancel their WIMAX solutions because it is old technology... this made me laugh so much, but i also feel a bit sad for those who still use the service.

Wimax is just as old as 3G, and the technology allows for even faster speeds at a more stable rate than 3G, it is almost considered 4G. Unfortunately Telkom limits their Wimax to 512kb/s, where the technology upgrade in 2011 allows Wimax to go up to 1Gb/s.
    Sources : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX ** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

I am so lucky that they decided to do this now and not before, because in less than a month I will be in Sweden living the rest of my life with No more hellkom. I already have a 40meg line installed for the time being at a fraction of the price telkom offers my 512kb/s line.

if you are a gamer and care about a stable connection, then WIMAX>3G hands down. iI you are the casual internet user do not fray, the 3G will improve your internet for you. If you are a heavy downloader.. to bad, you are gonna pay for capped accounts now and it is going to be more expensive for you.

I hope the telecommunication in this country get's sorted out for the sake of the people, but this is not gonna happen in a long long long time if ever in my life time.
    Last edited by RJMadCat; 04-09-2013 at 09:21 AM.

wimax is being rendered redundant by LTE
    18 months ago wimax was broadly considered as a good technology particularly for rural connections but real world roll out and manufacturers gravitating towards LTE has changed this.

Still I will take Wimax over LTE in a heartbeat.

1.) Wimax counts as a "fixed line" and you can order normal ADSL uncapped Packages on it via Afrihost, etc.
    2.) It is more Stable ( as long you do not have tree's in the way)
    3.) Ping is lower and as point 2 more stable, thus for gaming it is the better option.

LTE's great speed and wide availability and easier implementation is why it is the ISP's preferred method, but it does not come close to fixed line.
    When they offer uncapped, unshaped 3G/LTE, That is when I would consider it in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by RJMadCat View Post
    I am so lucky that they decided to do this now and not before, because in less than a month I will be in Sweden living the rest of my life with No more hellkom. I already have a 40meg line installed for the time being at a fraction of the price telkom offers my 512kb/s line.
    Why Sweden of all places?

No offence.

Because my Gf is from there

It is a stunning awesome place, the only interesting is going to be the language

WiMax had too much potential for them to handle. They should give back their spectrum now that they are canceling it though so others like Screamer can use it more effectively.

It is a stunning awesome place, the only interesting is going to be the language
    Everyone can speak English there. And I mean everyone.
    ...IMHO
    You find me offensive? I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Ah, that explains it.

I am usinig Telkom WiMax and I have heard nothing regarding them cancelling. However I would like someting faster as I am only at 512k. I typically run at 58KB/s - i think... if i rermember correctly. Sometimes spiking to around 63/64KB/s.

Contention is VERY low i am sure. I am in President Park in Midrand and we have NO lines and I don't think there is any plan from Telkom to put any new lines in.

What are my options? Remain with the pain of 512kbs? Or what? I currently have uncapped bundle and telkom - together around R400/month.

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    I am usinig Telkom WiMax and I have heard nothing regarding them cancelling. However I would like someting faster as I am only at 512k. I typically run at 58KB/s - i think... if i rermember correctly. Sometimes spiking to around 63/64KB/s.

Contention is VERY low i am sure. I am in President Park in Midrand and we have NO lines and I don't think there is any plan from Telkom to put any new lines in.

What are my options? Remain with the pain of 512kbs? Or what? I currently have uncapped bundle and telkom - together around R400/month.
    LTE?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Gulp and grunt is what happens at a BDSM party right?

+ Reply to Thread