Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 333 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare cars on SA road

Default Rare cars on SA road

It would be nice to see some pics of cars you don't see often on SA roads. Let me start.

Been eyeing this one for a while now, looks pretty sweet even if it is a VW. My guess would be that it's a British import.

Name:  sIMG_20130925_090513_stitchj.jpg
Views: 8169
Size:  38.1 KB
    3-Door Golf 4
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    It would be nice to see some pics of cars you don't see often on SA roads. Let me start.

Been eyeing this one for a while now, looks pretty sweet even if it is a VW. My guess would be that it's a British import.

Name:  sIMG_20130925_090513_stitchj.jpg
Views: 8169
Size:  38.1 KB
    3-Door Golf 4
    The 3 door Mk4 Golfs were available in SA but only in 1600.

Super Grandmaster

I have seen an odd Audi A2 every now and again.

Nope thats a local Golf.
    Looks to have some suspension damage or you need a better phone...

Saw what was a Porsche Speedster, got all excited & took pics.
    Searched the web and realised it could be a replica, went to see it again, it was a rep

Panorama warped the pic, nothing wrong with the car.

Seen an A2 as well, and I liked it.
    Name:  2012-03-01-101_crs.jpg
Views: 6146
Size:  66.0 KB
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

If they were sold here then why are there so little around? Its the first time I see one.

Driving in Cape Town one sees a lot of odd, rare cars which are shipped over by expats. The weirdest one I've seen recently was the IFP's Mario Ambrosini driving out of Parliament with an old school (1980s) Lincoln Towncar complete with Virginia plates...the thing looked so rickety, I wonder If he even managed to get it serviced.

Other than that rare sight most of the weird cars are either shipped in from the UK/Germany with their native plates, or Japanese secondhand imports with Botswana/Namibian/Congolese plates. Nothing to write home about really. I'll stand in awe if I see a fully kitted out Dodge Ram or Chevrolet Silverado truck.
    Ignorance is the soil in which the belief of miracles grow- Robert G Ingersoll

there are 2L golf 4 2doors here in jhb as well.
    I know a few guys from the vw forum who bought them brand new from the vw dealerships.

There is that guy in Somerset West who own a huge collection in classic cars, especially muscle cars. Then it is quite normal to see a Supercar in Helderberg and another guy who lives in Gordon’s Bay owns a Maserati (don’t know which model), but is apparently the only one in SA… And yet another guy in Gordon’s Bay who owns a number in limited edition cars which he stores next to the airport.

Pics no, but when Helderberg had that huge blaze, that guy with the classic cars had to move all his cars down the mountain which he stores on his property there, had some serious security patrolling his cars later that day which was parked all over the place.

Could not believe my eyes when I saw this beauty one day, I seriously would not mind having one (after ordering the right badges from Germany)
    Name:  2012-06-29-071.jpg
Views: 6435
Size:  68.8 KB

No pics, but I've seen a Honda NSX around town. (Scumerset West).
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

I seen a Jaguar E-Type driving out of Goodwood the other day, purely because of the area I assume its a kit, lol

Guess we'll need some time to get around to posting actual pics if the thread starts here... Joburg's wall to wall with crazy cars... Plenty Ferraris, Astons (got passed by a V12 Vanquish yesterday... first one I've seen on the road), Maseratis and so on. Coolest car I've seen this year 'tho was a yellow, Bumblebee Camaro. LHD and all.

There's a old red convertible Merc 300SL around the town which is gorgeous.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 333 123451151101 ... LastLast