Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 88 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: MDMA [does Connection Management & USSD & Monitors Signal Strength - Windows]

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I have to lock my E620 to GPRS/EDGE-ONLY to get the faster speed... otherwise everynow&then it attaches to 3G/HSDPA and then the speed dies, and disconnects
    I see on the E220 it shows what u'r on, GPRS or EDGE or 3G or HSDPA, each connection shows with different color light, no more guessing which one is it GPRS/EDGE or 3G/HSDPA
    I see it shows 3G and only when you start to download it switches to hsdpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    I see it shows 3G and only when you start to download it switches to hsdpa.
    Yup

MTNDD

New version uploaded, see first post in thread for details.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    New version uploaded, see first post in thread for details.
    Thanks MTNDD

Default Blonde IT Gru!

Forgive me for being blonde!
    I have been browsing the topic for a download link for the software in mention.
    There was a reference to the first posting, but for the life of Brian, i can't find nothing.
    Please advise?

For the benefit of the blondes, I have added some bold text on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    For the benefit of the blondes, I have added some bold text on the first page.
    LoL

ginggs -

Got the software, working fine thanks. Comments below.

Also, I've just spotted that you have 3 Gs in your username. Coincidence? I think not...

-

Using E220, with firmware 11.109.03.00.67 (not upgraded).

*141# and *555# work fine - both exactly the same. (Do you know if there's a USSD command that will tell you the expiry date? The 141 voice menu include this, as well as SMS balance.)

*123*888# works fine

And they work while connected!

Card info works (except SIM provider is all FFs).

Questions

How often is the signal strength reading updated? If I move the modem around a work area to find the best spot, how long do I have to wait, if the reading stays the same, to know it's really the same?

Minor gripes

When connecting, it prompts for a windows connection to use, and then you have to click 'Dial' as well. The Huawei tool doesn't and I can't think why I would want to choose the connection. Can you automate this?

When you remove the modem (which I do when leaving my work desk - laptop is secured by a cable lock but there's no way to stop someone walking off with the R2500 modem), the tool does not react, and doesn't notice when reconnecting it - so it doesn't set the PIN. You have to close and reopen the tool. (Otherwise an attempt to connect just times out.) The Huawei tool does handle this situation. A 'resend PIN' button would do.

No cellular broadcast messages, not even in 'GPRS/EDGE only' mode.

When I first opened it, I got some error message about +CPIN? response (I'd already supplied the PIN during a hyperterminal session), but I can't reproduce it now.

Ideas for new features

A way to manually set or edit the 'total' - to correct for miscounts/dropped sessions/using another tool.
    Project month-end usage from current total and reset date!

Oh wait ...

Question: do I have to press 'start logging' each time I start the tool? It doesn't seem to remember.

Idea for new feature: option to minimise to windows system tray.

I think the apply and Set APN buttons are unneccessary. They should just be set when the connection type and APN are entered. The controls can then be made smaller (they are far too large) and be put next to each other.

kingrob

I've updated my E220 with Huawei's latest firmware for MTN - and FINALLY I can see the data usage now!!

Hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    I've updated my E220 with Huawei's latest firmware for MTN - and FINALLY I can see the data usage now!!

Hooray!
    Are you using the MTN software or the Vodacom Mobile Connect software? I want to update but still want to be able to use the Mobile Connect software.

kingrob

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Are you using the MTN software or the Vodacom Mobile Connect software? I want to update but still want to be able to use the Mobile Connect software.
    Im using the MTN software, looks quite funky in orange/yellow & you can see the connetion type (GPRS/3G/HSPDA with signal strength....

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    Im using the MTN software, looks quite funky in orange/yellow & you can see the connetion type (GPRS/3G/HSPDA with signal strength....
    Thanks, I was informed by Graham that it also works with the MC software so I'll give the new firmware a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretCode View Post
    Also, I've just spotted that you have 3 Gs in your username. Coincidence? I think not...
    Mr paranoia - get him a lawyer.
    Card info works (except SIM provider is all FFs).
    This is exactly what the data card reports. Some MTN SIMs respond with an error when asked for SIM provider in which case I display "N/A". The only SIM cards I have seen that provide a meaningful response here are the Virgin Mobile S.A. ones.
    Questions

How often is the signal strength reading updated? If I move the modem around a work area to find the best spot, how long do I have to wait, if the reading stays the same, to know it's really the same?
    The data card notifies the software when the strength changes, sometimes it can take up to ten seconds or so before you see a change. A while back I did experiment with polling the card for the current signal strength, but I never did receive a different result, so I abandoned polling for the simpler method of just waiting for the notification from the card.
    Minor gripes

When connecting, it prompts for a windows connection to use, and then you have to click 'Dial' as well. The Huawei tool doesn't and I can't think why I would want to choose the connection. Can you automate this?
    Each of the other programs; MTN [email protected], Huawai Dashboard and Huawei Mobile Connect create their own unique dial-up connection. I wanted to make it possible for you to use the same one as the other software you use. Perhaps the way to do it is to allow you to configure it once and then just use that one in future.
    When you remove the modem (which I do when leaving my work desk - laptop is secured by a cable lock but there's no way to stop someone walking off with the R2500 modem), the tool does not react, and doesn't notice when reconnecting it - so it doesn't set the PIN. You have to close and reopen the tool. (Otherwise an attempt to connect just times out.) The Huawei tool does handle this situation. A 'resend PIN' button would do.
    I must admit I didn't consider that someone would remove the card while it was in use. I think this will take a bit of work to detect the card removal, close the communication ports and then detect the card being inserted again and re-open the ports. For now it might just be best to shut down the program before you remove the card.
    No cellular broadcast messages, not even in 'GPRS/EDGE only' mode.
    Not my fault! If your card receives one, it will be displayed.
    When I first opened it, I got some error message about +CPIN? response (I'd already supplied the PIN during a hyperterminal session), but I can't reproduce it now.
    Entering the PIN previously should not cause an error, if it does happen again, please take note of the error message and let me know.
    Ideas for new features

A way to manually set or edit the 'total' - to correct for miscounts/dropped sessions/using another tool.
    Yes, if only there was a way to get the exact total from MTN, I have tried looking at the MTN Active website and it is at least a day behind, and it doesn't show the date and time the total was recorded.
    Project month-end usage from current total and reset date!
    Hmm, so you want to enter the date and time MTN generate your invoice and predict, based on your current usage, what your next invoice will be? A reminder on that day would be useful too.
    Question: do I have to press 'start logging' each time I start the tool? It doesn't seem to remember.
    Logging only lasts for the current session. You will need to start logging every time you start the program.
    Idea for new feature: option to minimise to windows system tray.
    Applications aren't supposed to reside in the Notification Area, it is a source for status and notifications.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 88 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast