You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1314

Thread: MDMA [does Connection Management & USSD & Monitors Signal Strength - Windows]

Yes basically that's the idea, waterproof your modem using either self amalgamating tape, or one of those Bulgin waterproof USB housings. You will need to play with the distances from reflector to driven element to 1st director a bit.
    Is this referring to a Yagi design?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    E367 works pretty standard and has extra features. Use it in RAS or NDIS mode, it shows SNR, very useful.

Before launching MDMA make sure that no other dashboards are loaded in memory (including systray)
    Thanks, will try.

@sajunky,

I was referring to a 10 meter cable with at best 24AWG wire connectors, with a USB repeater on. The quiescent current from the modem and from the repeater chip will be in the order of 200mA, so assuming that the voltage drop is 346,24mv, giving a quiescent supply of 5.154 volts. well within the range stated by Huwaei of 4.75-5.25 Volts. As LeaUK is a caravanner then I would think that this is the minimum length needed. With a current of about 750mA with the modem at full distance from the tower, the sums look less favourable and end up at 4.2 volts, which is probably just enough to keep the core alive. Using the twin port arrangement on a PC will only overcome the current issue slightly, but not the voltage drop.

Steve

Yes, a yagi or a corner reflector as sajunky said. You can also use a parabola like sat dish, but if you use a sky one which is offset then you will need to angle it down at 25-30 degrees negative declination so that it presents flat, like a centre feed dish. If building a yagi, then the more directors you put on the narrower the beamwidth, but the less nuisance to other users. With a sat dish, tremendous gains can be achieved, Ive had increases of 30dBm or slightly more on a 1 meter offset dish, with no path attenuation. (At Sea).

Quote Originally Posted by steverow View Post
    I was referring to a 10 meter cable with at best 24AWG wire connectors, with a USB repeater on.
    If you go with overvoltage power supply, then why don't go little bit further, increase voltage by 2V, but attach a 3 legged, but proper LDO regulator at the end with sufficient capacitors? Added cost is minimal and ensure proper operation. But not quite...

The whole idea is brain damaged, as one element is oversighted. Power drawed by the device is generating high frequency voltage spikes on the common ground wire. USB receivers are differential, but I found that noise from the ground wire is quite disturbing. In other words to get it right you have to separate power ground from transmission lines.

In above example you go with with R200 active cable and end up with potentially unsafe design which is still flawed.

There is elegant solution available to ordinary people. If you use self-powered USB hub and directly attach modem to it, you can use ordinary USB cable (as USB hub has active receivers) and you avoid power delivery/noise problems as well. Why don't use better solution?
    Last edited by sajunky; 14-08-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Even better, mount a TP-Link WR703N or MR3020 with the modem in an outdoors enclosure.

Then you avoid long runs of RF cable and USB cable. Ethernet can be up to 100m with no loss.

Yes Ginggs has the best solution. Power the router with a reasonable current 12 volts and everything is done. Sajunky that is what decoupling and ESD protection built into every device is for. USB has a DC ground (negative) and a Screen which should always "float" and be an RF Ground and never connected to DC Negative. I'd never use a standard Voltage Regulator. Appalling devices. Use switch mode Buck converter of the five legged variety, so much more efficient, and far less heat loss.
    Last edited by steverow; 15-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.

USB has a DC ground (negative) and a Screen which should always "float" and be an RF Ground and never connected to DC Negative.
    It doesn't make any sense, but I can be wrong. If it is float, then it would pickup everything from outside.

Re switching regulator I disagree. Linear has better regulation, particular on pulse load and simplicity. In this case What is a power loss? 3V maximum voltage drop and 700mA on peak load, typically quarter of that figure (0.5W). No matter, as idea is brain damaged. You want switching regulator to argue with my point, I just remind you that your advise to others was just to increase voltage.

There is no answer to that, so I wont. Anyway, could any kind soul steer me to the right thread on the fora, to ask some questions about Mobile Partner, specifically upgrading a customised version 16.nnn to handle the latest LTE modems?

Thanks

Steve

Anyway, could any kind soul steer me to the right thread on the fora, to ask some questions about Mobile Partner, specifically upgrading a customised version 16.nnn to handle the latest LTE modems?
    Feel free to start a new thread in the Mobile Broadband section.

Bug report: MDMA 1.1.0.1
    "Running Total" goes wild when dialing using default NDIS option. It should be updated only after detecting dropped connection. Here it picks up some noise during connection. For example my last session "Current Session" indicate 3.5MB, it is consistent with ISP counters. During this session (5 hours) "Running Total" had been updated many times increasing from 0 to above 100MB when disconnecting. Modem E367.

It works properly when dialing RAS.
    Last edited by sajunky; 17-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.

"Running Total" goes wild when dialing using default NDIS option. It should be updated only after detecting dropped connection.
    It does only update after detect dropped connection. IIRC, it detects a dropped connection if modem does not report online statistics for 3 x 2s as previously there was no reliable way to determine if modem was online. I think this can be changed for NDIS connections as there is now an AT command (^NDISSATQRY?) that reports whether the modem is online.

I would like to see why MDMA thinks your connection has dropped though.
    Would you be able to run PortMon and capture a log please?

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    It does only update after detect dropped connection.
    This is expected, but when it detects a dropped connection it would also reset "Current Session" and update "Previous Session" but it doesn't. "Current Session" field grows continuously over few hours of staying on-line and end result is consistent with Cell C counters. "Previous Session" stays the same. Only "Running Total" goes wild.

Yes, modem doesn't support ^NDISSATQRY command.
    Downloaded PortMon, will capture tonight.
    Last edited by sajunky; 18-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.

This is expected, but when it detects a dropped connection it would also reset "Current Session" and update "Previous Session" but it doesn't. "Current Session" field grows continuously over few hours of staying on-line and end result is consistent with Cell C counters. "Previous Session" stays the same. Only "Running Total" goes wild.
    A long time ago we found some bugs in the Huawei data counters which could be related:
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...321#post911321
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...th-Huawei-E620

MDMA tried to detect the "data doubling" bug and reset the counters on the card.
    It also tries to filter out "ridiculous speeds and totals". As modems have gotten faster and faster I've had to relax these limits. In 2006 21Mbps was a "ridiculous speed", now my E3276 can do 150Mbps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast