You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: MDMA [does Connection Management & USSD & Monitors Signal Strength - Windows]

Something I noticed today [maybe others noticed earlier] - you can switch between the network options [3g only, 3g preferred, GPRS and EDGE only, GPRS and EGDE preferred] while on a connection without disconnecting and staying connected after the switch-over on Ginggs Tool while on the other dashes I have used you can't.
    Hibiscus Coast Photographic Society
    (previously known as: Hibiscus Coast Camera Club)

Quote Originally Posted by Saule View Post
    Something I noticed today [maybe others noticed earlier] - you can switch between the network options [3g only, 3g preferred, GPRS and EDGE only, GPRS and EGDE preferred] while on a connection without disconnecting and staying connected after the switch-over on Ginggs Tool while on the other dashes I have used you can't.
    I can only switch from 2G to 3G without losing my connection, switching the other way drops it. This happened with my MTN contract SIM and with my Vodacom pre-paid SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by ic View Post
    @ginggs, any chance of there being a Linux version of your app?
    Yeah, I have been thinking about that. Last night I noticed that the Mac OS X dashboard is rather dull, and that got me thinking some more.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    I can only switch from 2G to 3G without losing my connection, switching the other way drops it. This happened with my MTN contract SIM and with my Vodacom pre-paid SIM.
    I'm using an MTN sim [MyChoice 75] today and can confirm that it does work both ways without dropping the connection. But the E220 does get 'confused' when going from 3G to 2G - the green light flashes but it is still connected on the pc.

Edit: Tried switching over a number of times and noticed that the timer resets after each switch.
    Last edited by AirWolf; 21-02-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saule View Post
    Edit: Tried switching over a number of times and noticed that the timer resets after each switch.
    That's E620Tool's data counter filtering in action; when the counters contain rubbish it updates the totals with the last good values and then resets them.

It often happens under low signal conditions, when the connection drops unexpectedly, and also if you are in '3G Preferred' mode and you get handed from 3G to 2G and back again.

G,You will be pleased to know that your application works perfectly with the Huawei E630..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kriss View Post
    G,You will be pleased to know that your application works perfectly with the Huawei E630..
    Thanks Big Kriss, that's good to know! The E630 is one device that has consistently evaded the grips of my sweaty paws.

Well, I only discovered your aplication today!! I think it works great, far better than any of the dashboards available. Impressive Ginggs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainSaw View Post
    Well, I only discovered your aplication today!! I think it works great, far better than any of the dashboards available. Impressive Ginggs.
    Thanks ChainSaw, and welcome to mybroadband!

Thanks ChainSaw, and welcome to mybroadband!
    Thanks, one question I would like to ask, I have read a bit of this thread, and I am interested in using the E220 without any dashboard. I downloaded your driver pacage for the modem, but how do I disable the auto start on the software residing on the modem? If I use the dialup only every time I start the device or restart pc then it tries to install the dashboard! Would appreciate some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainSaw View Post
    how do I disable the auto start on the software residing on the modem? If I use the dialup only every time I start the device or restart pc then it tries to install the dashboard!
    On my own PC I have disabled autorun for all devices for security reasons, so I'm never bothered bothered by it, but many people prefer the convenience of autorun, in which case preventing the E220 from being assigned a drive letter is the simplest.

Instructions for Windows XP:
    • Click Start
    • Right-click on 'My Computer'
    • Click 'Manage'
    • Click on 'Disk Management' under 'Computer Management / Storage'
    • Right-click on drive letter assigned to E220 (will be a CDFS file system device)
    • Click on 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
    • Verify that correct drive letter is displayed in dialog
    • Click 'Remove' button
    • Click 'Yes' button in confirmation dialog

Edit: For those wanting to permanently disable Autorun for all devices and for all users:
    • Click Start
    • Click 'Run...'
    • Type regedit
    • Click OK
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies
    • Create a key below Policies named Explorer (if it doesn't already exist)
    • Create a DWORD value below Explorer named NoDriveTypeAutoRun (if it doesn't already exist)
    • Set the value data to 0x000000FF in hexadecimal
    Last edited by ginggs; 07-10-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Thumbs up

Click Start
    Right-click on 'My Computer'
    Click 'Manage'
    Click on 'Disk Management' under 'Computer Management / Storage'
    Right-click on drive letter assigned to E220 (will be a CDFS file system device)
    Click on 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
    Verify that correct drive letter is displayed in dialog
    Click 'Remove' button
    Click 'Yes' button in confirmation dialog
    Thanks, you are quite informed old chap. Thanks again!

Vodacom Representative

On my own PC I have disabled autorun for all devices for security reasons, so I'm never bothered bothered by it, but many people prefer the convenience of autorun, in which case preventing the E220 from being assigned a drive letter is the simplest.

Instructions for Windows XP:
    • Click Start
    • Right-click on 'My Computer'
    • Click 'Manage'
    • Click on 'Disk Management' under 'Computer Management / Storage'
    • Right-click on drive letter assigned to E220 (will be a CDFS file system device)
    • Click on 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
    • Verify that correct drive letter is displayed in dialog
    • Click 'Remove' button
    • Click 'Yes' button in confirmation dialog
    ginggs, is the drive letter static or could it change when switching USB ports or for some other reason? What happens if you upgrade the drivers?

Trying to figure out why someone would have written that other utility we tested.

Quote Originally Posted by vodacom3g View Post
    ginggs, is the drive letter static or could it change when switching USB ports or for some other reason? What happens if you upgrade the drivers?
    The drive letter is static for that instance of the device, you can plug and unplug the device as often as you like, provided you use the same port.

Plug it in to another port, and Windows finds 'new' hardware and installs another instance of the device, requiring you to disable the driver letter again. It's a pity one can't sell off the old ones.

I suspect this will happen when upgrading the drivers too.
    Trying to figure out why someone would have written that other utility we tested.
    Nothing better to do?
    I think the utility might need to be run after changing ports as well, will test later.

If you have a USB flash drive plugged in first it would get that missing drive letter I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast