Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Average household electricity consumption 2014

Super Grandmaster

Ok, so what do you all feel would be your maximum consumption at any point. How expensive would it be to replace the majority of this usage, for example 50% solar generation, a solar geyser, gas hob, etc.?
    "Don't be a hater, yo. I'm in a jacuzzi."

Quote Originally Posted by phaktza View Post
    Ok, so what do you all feel would be your maximum consumption at any point. How expensive would it be to replace the majority of this usage, for example 50% solar generation, a solar geyser, gas hob, etc.?
    Taking a wild guess 70k I'd say. 15k for geyser, 10k for gas hob. Leaving 50k for panels, batteries, regulators etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Taking a wild guess 70k I'd say. 15k for geyser, 10k for gas hob. Leaving 50k for panels, batteries, regulators etc.
    Surely even 100k is reasonable as it's an asset that should be recovered in the sale. Indeed if left long enough you should have already recovered the initial investment?

Found this website to calculate electricity usage per device

http://energyusecalculator.com/calcu...ical_usage.htm

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Spamhater View Post
    Found this website to calculate electricity usage per device

http://energyusecalculator.com/calcu...ical_usage.htm
    I guess your biggest users, if you use a gas hob and solar geyser, are the fridge and oven. In fact an oven, and especially two, would push you over your solar limit.
    Last edited by phaktza; 30-11-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phaktza View Post
    Surely even 100k is reasonable as it's an asset that should be recovered in the sale. Indeed if left long enough you should have already recovered the initial investment?
    Just keep in mind that you'd need to replace the batteries occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouxenator View Post
    I microwaved the socks for a bit and they are fine now.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Just keep in mind that you'd need to replace the batteries occasionally.
    Ja, you'd need to know the expected lifespan to fit that into your calculations.

Slight resurrection on this one.

Just wanted to know if someone could tell me whether these readings are high/average. Been having issues with CoJ (as is everyone) with my account, but besides the nonsense I would like to bring my consumption down.

June - Electrivity: -30 day actual reading - used 1,166 KwH (38, 86 average pd)
    Water: - 36 day reading - 29, 00Kl (0.806 average pd)

July - Electircity: -34 day actual reading - used 1, 225 KwH (36 average pd)
    Water: - 36 day reading - 30, 00Kl (0.833 average pd)

August - Electricity: - 27 day reading - used 1, 084 KwH (40, 14 average pd)
    Water: 28 day reading: 30, 00Kl (1, 071 average pd)

This is for two adults and a five year old, 3 bedroom house. Pool pump only runs for like 6 hours once a week. Have two geyers (but one turned off for the flatlet that is empty). All downlights are 3W LED, A++ fridge. My Sammy D550 plasma is probably a killer, but I love her.

Always thought my water consumption is very high. I have checked the meter, it doesn't run if all taps are off. Any tips from anyone to get my consumption down would be appriciated. I read earlier in the thread about a timer on a geyser. Some people were for it and other said it wouldn't make a difference. Whats the call on this? Has anyone put a solar geyser in lately who could tell me there savings and costs?
    Last edited by TRZ214; 12-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Those numbers are ridiculous
    We're 2 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 dogs - water is less than 8kl per month, electricity is around 450 units. My guess is the water is going into your garden/pool.

Grandmaster

TRZ214, those readings do look on the high side, but not way out.
    1st, get yourself an Energy meter and connect to your mains. This way you can monitor your usage and see when power is used.

A 1000L per day is not very hard a get to.
    Start by taking readings every day at the same time to see if you can detect a pattern, like washdays...
    Washing crockery by hand in a basin sometimes can use more water than a dishwasher.
    Toilets also use a LOT of water.
    "If it ain't broke, do not fix it!"

Unlimited Free Broadband www.ctwug.za.net

Blog Entries

Damn, that's high usage, relatively speaking.

We're two adults and two preteens. Our average water consumption per month is 7kl and electricity is at 600kwh.

My geyser is on 24/7 (well, technically it's not since it switches itself off at 65 degrees Celsius). I'm not a big fan of geyser timers, since heating the water up from almost 0 would consume at least 15kwh (mine does, but that's a guestimate, and it was in winter when I tested it). Rather get a geyser blanket.

We make use of our slow cooker as often as we can - initially because we got home at 18:30, but then I realised that on low, it uses less than 1kwh for the entire 8 - 10 hours.

I will be consuming less in the near future, but right now the biggest consumer of power (apart from the geyser and stove) are my two plasma TV's. Those bastards chow 500w between them
    Trade for the lowest fees in South Africa, register for an EasyEquities account today by clicking here now!

Some 2017 figures

500 to 600 kwh (good months we get down to below 400)

2 adults 1 toddler

Geyser 200 l solar feeding a 150 l electric geyser on a geyser buddy. (hybrid system) Geyser average run time in summer 15 hours per month (down from over a 100 hours)
    Swimming pool. Solid cover covering the pool. Pump runs only 2 hours per day.
    Electric oven used sparingly
    All lights LED
    2 Aircons 9000 and 12000 btu. The one is invertor aircon.
    All appliances is energy efficient

Water consumption about 10 kl a month

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by YingYang View Post
    Damn, that's high usage, relatively speaking.

We're two adults and two preteens. Our average water consumption per month is 7kl and electricity is at 600kwh.

My geyser is on 24/7 (well, technically it's not since it switches itself off at 65 degrees Celsius). I'm not a big fan of geyser timers, since heating the water up from almost 0 would consume at least 15kwh (mine does, but that's a guestimate, and it was in winter when I tested it). Rather get a geyser blanket.

We make use of our slow cooker as often as we can - initially because we got home at 18:30, but then I realised that on low, it uses less than 1kwh for the entire 8 - 10 hours.

I will be consuming less in the near future, but right now the biggest consumer of power (apart from the geyser and stove) are my two plasma TV's. Those bastards chow 500w between them
    That's not bad at all - maybe keep your geyser at 60c rather its still with in safe limits and hot enough for a good shower
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

Agreed, seems high to me too.

Moved house since last year - and right now we're averaging (2 adults, 1 baby) around 400kWh per month. We avoid using the heating (air con inverters and a few oil heaters) and because of the water shortages have been having much shorter showers of late.

We're getting to about half way through the month and my ebug says I'm on track for just below 400kwh this month

Name:  BugCapture.PNG
Views: 88
Size:  26.9 KB

I have the same TV, pool runs for longer, extra freezer, 4 people, washing machines/dryer run 10 times a week... and I use 50% of your power and 25% of your water.

Either you're running heaters daily, use way too much hot water, or have a maid.

For the hot water set the geyser temp down and don't use your hot water tap at all except for showers. Boiling a kettle in the kitchen is cheaper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567