Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting International and Local Bandwidth with IPcop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bernie - this is EXCELENT !! Thank you !!!

I've used Fausto's router scripts before, but the problem I had was when the router restarted the routes was obviously missing. And, when the line dropped. I've used routesentry for a while now (great util), but I have 4 pc's here at home, and the WA's IS accounts only allows 2 concurrent connections. I tried the iPig solution that an1tb0dy sugessted in another post, but my PC kept on BSOD - after uninstalling iPig, it was fine again. And, 1 of the other PC's could not connect via iPig, no clue why not.

Anyways, just wanna say thanks for this solution.

carudden - I did not get any script errors? Took me a while to figure out how to get the script on the IPCop box, and after reading your post, I noticed that I have to give it execute permission (My knowledge of linux is sort of limited to the "ls" command So I had to do a lot of googling this morning)

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    Bernie - this is EXCELENT !! Thank you !!!

I've used Fausto's router scripts before, but the problem I had was when the router restarted the routes was obviously missing. And, when the line dropped. I've used routesentry for a while now (great util), but I have 4 pc's here at home, and the WA's IS accounts only allows 2 concurrent connections. I tried the iPig solution that an1tb0dy sugessted in another post, but my PC kept on BSOD - after uninstalling iPig, it was fine again. And, 1 of the other PC's could not connect via iPig, no clue why not.

Anyways, just wanna say thanks for this solution.

carudden - I did not get any script errors? Took me a while to figure out how to get the script on the IPCop box, and after reading your post, I noticed that I have to give it execute permission (My knowledge of linux is sort of limited to the "ls" command So I had to do a lot of googling this morning)
    Exellent, glad its worked for others. Thank you

Carudden, did you get it all to work, did you find the fcrontab command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I'v just noticed something - I think. After a reboot of the IPCop machine, both ppp0 and ppp1 came up, routes were created, but nadda - no internet. I could not ping anything (not from my machine nor from the IPCop machine), but somehow MSN messanger managed to sign in. (The MSN thing really confuses me)

When I went to the home page of the IPCop web interface, it took quite a while for it to be displayed (the page where it shows what it is connected to with the connect, disconnect and refresh buttons). In order to try to get it working, I then proceeded to delete ppp1 and waited for crontab to re-create the ppp interface and the routes. Still with no luck. At some point in time I pressed the disconnect button, then the connect on the IPCop home page. I recall seeing that the "IPCop's Hostname" was some saix address. After I reconnected, I noticed that IPCop's hostname changed to ****.nngy.isadsl.co.za. And, suddenly everything worked 100%. When I opened the IPCop webinterface home page, it loaded immediately, where previously it took like 5-10 secs to load.

I am going to try to recreate this whole scenario later on today, if this happens again after a reboot, I am going to try to swap the intl and local accounts, so that local is on ppp0 and intl on ppp1. Will give feedback on whether it works better or not.

Cheers
    Last edited by sleeper; 28-01-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is strange indeed. I have never had any hassels with a reboot, and have been through quite a few connection resets as well and all seemed to work fine. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I am using Webafrica for both international and local only ADSL. Please let me know if you find any problems with the script or if there is a way to improve the setup. But sofar, it has been running quite nicely.

After your second PPPoE is connected IPcop assumes that as the RED connection.

Here is an extract from my system log after a reboot this morning:

08:50:04 ipcop Dynamic DNS ip-update for xxxxxx.selfip.com: success
    08:50:01 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp1
    08:49:14 ipcop IPCop started.
    08:48:30 ipcop Dynamic DNS ip-update for xxxxxx.selfip.com: success
    08:48:23 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    08:48:22 ipcop Dialling Webafrica3GIG.
    08:48:22 ipcop Starting RED device eth1.
    08:47:19 ipcop PPP has gone down on ppp1
    08:47:18 ipcop Rebooting IPCop

Does yours looks similar.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, when I look at the network status, it shows ppp1 as red. And, I have the same setup - Both accounts via WebAfrica.

My log looks pretty much just like yours :
    14:39:09 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp1
    14:38:36 ipcop IPCop started.
    14:38:24 ipcop PPP has gone up on ppp0
    14:38:20 ipcop Dialling SAIX 3GB.
    14:38:20 ipcop Starting RED device eth1.
    14:37:14 ipcop Rebooting IPCop

Can you conform, on the home page, if your IPCop's Hostname is using a SAIX or IS address - I don't know if this is where my prob lies, but this is deffinitely something that changed before it started working again.

Cheers !

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, hostname is a SAIX address. It looks like this:

IPCop's Hostname: dsl-146-xxx-xxx.telkomadsl.co.za

Where does the "isadsl" come from then in your setup. Are you using WA IS accounts or SAIX accounts. Do you perhaps have any IS profiles setup in IPcop, maybe old ones that are set to dial up in case your primary profile fails to connect. I have disabled the fail over option in all my profiles, thats just a personal choice not for any technical reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I have a SAIX WA Account, and a IS WA Account - not sure why it is using the isdsl one - and the IPCop box is a brand new install, and none of the fail over things are enabled.
    I think the isdsl thing came in when I disconnected ppp0 via the webinterface and reconnected. For a brief momeny only ppp1 (IS) was up, and maybe it then decided to use isdsl iso telkomadsl as the hostname.

Hehhehhe, most of this stuff is anyways greek to me

Going out now, but when I get back I'll investigate a bit more.

Cheers

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    carudden - I did not get any script errors?
    Bernie helped me out (Thanks Bernie) - I must have edited the script incorrectly
    After a edit/replace - all OK

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Carudden, did you get it all to work, did you find the fcrontab command.
    I did, and the fcrontab -l command shows my job, but never runs the job...?

/usr/bin/ppp$ fcrontab -l
    14:33:31 listing root's fcrontab
    */2 * * * * /usr/bin/ppp/rt.set
    Last edited by ColinR; 29-01-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Some thing just went wrong the script, think it's the same issue as sleeper?

My Ipcop hostname is blank, and no pages want to load and upon doing a trace route i discovered that no addresses are getting resolved and that all traffic is routing via my saix account(international). Have no clue what may have caused this! It just happened, out of the blue one day, well the only change was that I changed my local account's, account settings (username passs).
    Last edited by ASS_SAZiN`; 03-02-2007 at 02:15 PM.
    ADSL Status:Mweb 1Mb Uncapped. Telkom 2Mb adsl
    http://www.ptawug.co.za Free Bandwidth for all...

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did you do to resolve the issue. Sounds like DNS is getting corrupted somehow. I havent yet experienced this problem, but might be worthwhile manually putting in the DNS servers in the Dialup profile screen of the primary profile, instead of it being automatic.

Another possible problem is that the static routes are being added before the PPPoE session is actually created, so that once the session is created there are actually no routes for the interface. It also might be worth changing the sleep time to a higher number right after the connection request (just before the route commands) to make sure the connection is actually live before the routes are added. Maybe to 10secs, will have to play with that. But sofar for me the 5secs seems to be ok.

-----------------------
    <snip>
    /usr/sbin/pppd plugin rp-pppoe.so eth1 usepeerdns noipdefault nodefaultroute ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote passive noccp nopcomp novjccomp user $PPUSER password $PPASS lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3 lcp-max-configure 50 maxfail 5
    sleep 5
    echo "Setting up routes..."
    route add -net 129.227.206.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 $LOCAL
    route add -net 129.227.207.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 $LOCAL
    route add -net 129.227.208.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 $LOCAL
    <snip>
    -----------------------
    Let me know if these changes made any difference if implemented.

Cheers.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using sleep for this task is evil!

I set up dual PPPoE connections on my Kubuntu.
    What you want to do is define the interfaces as ppp0, ppp1, pppX in /etc/network/interfaces.

Then in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ create a new file (name is not important but I called mine zanet) and add your routes there. The files in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ are executed as soon as new IP link is established.

#!/bin/sh -e
    # Called when a new interface comes up

# add custom routing for zanet (local South Africa) on ppp1 device
    if [ "$PPP_IFACE" = "ppp1" ]
    then

# Add routes here ...

fi

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    Using sleep for this task is evil!
    100%

and what you specify is definately a more correct way to do it.

But this was quick and easy to setup.

Also IPcop doesnt have the directories you specified (not that I could find), which I guess are generally standard on kubuntu, suse, debian, gentoo etc. etc.

I will have to go back to digging around in the rc.d scripts to get this 100% right.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to the SMTP server, just use smtp.isdsl.net... Better to use local bandwidth. And add static DNS entry for smtp.saix.net that points to your IS server

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some stupid reason my ipcop machine keeps dropping ppp0 although the connection is persistent and idle timeout is set to 0 but that is an issue for later.

However when ppp0 is connected with ppp1 I can traceroute/ping local traffic but not international traffic. Any ideas on this or am I being dumb.

With ppp0 down I obviously get an error from traceroute that says "Cant find interface" when checking international hosts but local hosts work fine this tells me that the routing tables are set up properly.

When ppp1 is down I can traceroute local and international traffic no problem but I think this is because default routing rules are being used (i.e all traffic is told to route through ppp0)

The only mods I did to rt.set were adding my username and password for the second ppp connection so I can't see it being that.

I don't know if it matters but both accounts are IS 3/27Gb accounts but I cannot see that this would make a difference.

Any help will be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast