Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting International and Local Bandwidth with IPcop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought maybe I messed up and switch the two accounts around, but I changed the details of ppp0 and ppp1 around but still no luck.

I also tried 2 uncapped accounts this also did not work, I'm trying to get hold of a SAIX account to see if the problem is because of the fact that I get the same GW address on ppp0 and ppp1 when connected with 2 IS accounts.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
    For some stupid reason my ipcop machine keeps dropping ppp0 although the connection is persistent and idle timeout is set to 0 but that is an issue for later.
    Just to be sure, are you saying ppp0 drops even without the second pppd connection.

However when ppp0 is connected with ppp1 I can traceroute/ping local traffic but not international traffic. Any ideas on this or am I being dumb.
    The only thing I think of is to make sure that the default route gets setup for ppp0 and that the NAT/ MASQUERADING is setup.

Maybe type in this in at the command prompt when you cant route international, see if it makes a difference:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp+ -j MASQUERADE

What do you get when you enter this: (when your ppp0 seems to not work):

route|grep ppp0

Maybe also manually enter the default route:

route add default dev ppp0 metric 0

If you dropping ppp0 anyway, there may be a problem with the connection its self.

I have used SAIX int and SAIX local no prob. SAIX int and IS local, no prob, so I cant see that using IS for both would be a problem either.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of you guys have tried this successfully? Could be something really really great for a South African context, despite the somewhat complicated setup...
    Link to me on Samsung Rewards and earn a starting bonus. http://s-rewards.co.za/linkme.html?id=F341208769
    My BTC address:15fvnAGPvomWM9dkJ7DMcVEtae3NwVMXvD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My setup seems to be working fine now. My IPCop machine's HDD crashed, so I had to re-install, and now everything seems to be working 100% now, except for the occasional problem with the ISP resets.
    Seems that when ppp0 goes down, and then the routes disappear somehow, and ppp0 comes back up before cron job ran. Then ppp0 and ppp1 is there, but the routes are missing (I think this is what is happening – cause the routes somehow disappear). I am thinking of perhaps changing the script to check the route table for a specific IP address, and if it doesn’t exist and ppp1 is up, kill ppp1 and wait for the script to recreate it when it runs again.

But, like I said, this happens very rarely. Most of the times this setup works excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Just to be sure, are you saying ppp0 drops even without the second pppd connection.

The only thing I think of is to make sure that the default route gets setup for ppp0 and that the NAT/ MASQUERADING is setup.

Maybe type in this in at the command prompt when you cant route international, see if it makes a difference:

What do you get when you enter this: (when your ppp0 seems to not work):

route|grep ppp0

Maybe also manually enter the default route:

If you dropping ppp0 anyway, there may be a problem with the connection its self.

I have used SAIX int and SAIX local no prob. SAIX int and IS local, no prob, so I cant see that using IS for both would be a problem either.
    Yes the connection drops with and without ppp1

tried setting up NAT/MASQ with above command still no luck as well as adding the route manually.

I have piped the routing table to a file if you are interested just let me know how to get it to you

this is the output of route|grep ppp0

c1-1-1.tpr.isad * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    default * 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ppp0
    default c1-1-1.tpr.isad 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This certainly is promising news...
    Link to me on Samsung Rewards and earn a starting bonus. http://s-rewards.co.za/linkme.html?id=F341208769
    My BTC address:15fvnAGPvomWM9dkJ7DMcVEtae3NwVMXvD

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My IPCop machine is too slow to do the job, so I want to use another machine, but then I need a File/Print & email server thrown in - after some looking around, I found Clark Connect, which I have downloaded and am going to install on monday.

Features:
    * Internet Gateway
    * Firewall
    * VPN
    * Bandwidth and P2P Manager
    * Multiwan
    * Intrusion Prevention
    * Web and FTP Servers
    * Antispam/Antivirus
    * Content Filtering
    * File and Print Services
    * Data backup
    * Groupware

I presume I'd be able to run the same script and crontab entry. So I may just have the solution I'm looking for.

Any elaboration on your post Paul_S, I'm clueless on linux . The more automatic this is the better - I suppose. (Not that Bernie's way doesn't work)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carudden View Post
    My IPCop machine is too slow to do the job, so I want to use another machine, but then I need a File/Print & email server thrown in - after some looking around, I found Clark Connect, which I have downloaded and am going to install on monday.
    another nice all-in-one solution is SME Server (currently ver 7.1) it is debian based and has VPN, Firewall, Mail, Webmail, File and Print sharing etc

see SME Server I have used this distro at a few of my smaller clients and the web IF makes it easy to configure for the most common tasks.

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the connection drops with and without ppp1

tried setting up NAT/MASQ with above command still no luck as well as adding the route manually.

I have piped the routing table to a file if you are interested just let me know how to get it to you

this is the output of route|grep ppp0

c1-1-1.tpr.isad * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 ppp0
    default * 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 ppp0
    default c1-1-1.tpr.isad 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 ppp0
    It looks ok. Maybe one of the networking guru's can confirm this. My routing table table for ppp0 basically looks the same:

HTML Code:
    smtp.saix.net   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    dsl-242-64-01.t *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
    default         *               0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 ppp0
    default         dsl-242-64-01.t 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0
    The last thing I can think of (and I may be way off here) is that there is a DNS issue thats not letting you connect.

From one of your client PC's that connect through IPcop, what do you get when you do this:

nslookup www.google.com

I get the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\enduser>nslookup www.google.com
    Server: ipcop.localdomain
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.l.google.com
    Addresses: 66.102.7.147, 66.102.7.104, 66.102.7.99
    Aliases: www.google.com

If this is not the issue, then I am all exhausted out for ideas.

Anyone else have any ideas what could be happening or what to check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not have time to look into the matter further over the weekend, however I just took another PC I had lying around with 2 other NICs and got IPCop 1.4.11 running it and I still get no ruote to international sites.

If 1 connection disconnects I get ping reply from int source (ie only ppp0 or ppp1 is active) as soon as both connections are made nothing.

Strange thing if I go (remember ppp0 is INT and ppp1 is LOCAL)

route add -net {SOME INTERNATIONAL IP} netmask 255.255.255.0 ppp1

I get a reply from the international address (Only damn slowly though)

If I take a working local route and go

route add -net {SOME LOCAL IP} netmask 255.255.255.0 ppp0

it stops working until I route it back to ppp1.

I need to know
    1)What version of IPCop are you running on your working box
    2)Any Idea why when ppp1 would connect it breaks ppp0 completely

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not have time to look into the matter further over the weekend, however I just took another PC I had lying around with 2 other NICs and got IPCop 1.4.11 running it and I still get no ruote to international sites.

If 1 connection disconnects I get ping reply from int source (ie only ppp0 or ppp1 is active) as soon as both connections are made nothing.

Strange thing if I go (remember ppp0 is INT and ppp1 is LOCAL)

route add -net {SOME INTERNATIONAL IP} netmask 255.255.255.0 ppp1

I get a reply from the international address (Only damn slowly though)

If I take a working local route and go

route add -net {SOME LOCAL IP} netmask 255.255.255.0 ppp0

it stops working until I route it back to ppp1.

I need to know
    1)What version of IPCop are you running on your working box
    2)Any Idea why when ppp1 would connect it breaks ppp0 completely
    Hey pigdog

I am using 1.4.13, but I'm pretty sure 1.4.11 will be fine.

Did you try the nslookup command.

Maybe when ppp1 connects the default route for ppp0 is not being set. Try setting it all up manually:

- Get your ppp0 connected.
    - Ping everywhere (from IPcop) to make sure its working 100%
    - In the console screen manually make the second PPPoE connection. Just cut the pppd command out and only run that. Just a point to note, I dont think it makes a difference, but in my case, I haven't created any profiles with my second connection settings. I only have 1 profile setup.
    - enter "ifconfig" make sure you see both ppp0 and ppp1 with IP addresses
    - manually enter a 1 single local route for ppp1, for example this one:
    route add -net 196.30.0.0 netmask 255.254.0.0 ppp1
    This route includes www.iol.co.za.
    - Enter the route command, make sure its there. You will find now that you probably cant connect anywhere.
    - Now add the default route for ppp0 manually
    - now adjust your iptables manually
    - You should now be able to connect using ppp0 and ppp1.
    - go to www.iol.co.za in a browser and check the connection settings in IPcop, you should be connecting to 196.30.168.79 via the IP address of ppp1

Hope this helps.

B.
    Last edited by Bernie; 12-02-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Afrinic allocated subnets in South Africa

Not sure if anyone on this thread is interested, but you can get all the "local" subnets here

and it gets updated every 24hrs

Ready made route add commands
    Last edited by ArminM; 16-02-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added route rdy list
    if (!preg_match("(^[-\w\.][email protected]([-a-z0-9]+\.)+[a-z]{2,4}$)i", $email)) echo "Email address $email is not valid";

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my issues have been sorted out I still have one or two abnormalities, same as sleeper.

My problem was fixed by removing some addons, traffic report I think it was named, after i did that everything worked great again.

The afrinic list is nice, you can also get the latest local ip's via a IS server can't remember the address but one of the previous scripts I used, made use of nc(netcat) to automatically fetch the address before setting up routing.

I'm going to do some more research a bit later, but it seams that QoS isn't working 100% when I have both connections up, only local traffic is prioritized, I use QoS in ipcop to give port 80 and 21 and 110 priority so that I can seed torrents and other p2p apps 24/7 and all the other people using the net @ my place will still be able to do mail and browsing at normal speeds.
    ADSL Status:Mweb 1Mb Uncapped. Telkom 2Mb adsl
    http://www.ptawug.co.za Free Bandwidth for all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ASS_SAZiN` View Post
    My problem was fixed by removing some addons, traffic report I think it was named, after i did that everything worked great again.
    aaahhh, thanks for that - been pulling my hair out!

Quote Originally Posted by ASS_SAZiN` View Post
    I'm going to do some more research a bit later, but it seams that QoS isn't working 100% when I have both connections up, only local traffic is prioritized, I use QoS in ipcop to give port 80 and 21 and 110 priority so that I can seed torrents and other p2p apps 24/7 and all the other people using the net @ my place will still be able to do mail and browsing at normal speeds.
    This will take some doing - I've been looking into - but no promises yet!
    if (!preg_match("(^[-\w\.][email protected]([-a-z0-9]+\.)+[a-z]{2,4}$)i", $email)) echo "Email address $email is not valid";

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ArminM was your problem fixed by removing the addon, If so glad I could help, it seams that it messes with the routes or something will have to take a look at that.

Going to setup a second box with ClarkConnect sometime to try and get good QoS and to implement the "splitting up" script with NC, will post the script if I get it working.
    ADSL Status:Mweb 1Mb Uncapped. Telkom 2Mb adsl
    http://www.ptawug.co.za Free Bandwidth for all...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast