Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Important note when upgrading from ADSL to VDSL

Thumbs up Important note when upgrading from ADSL to VDSL

Heya guys

I recently upgraded my 4meg ADSL line to a 20meg VDSL line.

On the day of 'cut-over', my router stopped syncing to the ADSL2+ network (DSLAM0, and this sparked the first step at ripping out my ADSL router, and replacing it with a shiny new PACE router (yes I know its shyte, only found out about it after I purchased it).

So for the next couple of hours I could not get my PACE router to sync with the new VDSL network (I think it's called ISAM). Contacted the help desk, did line tests, and I was at the point (very disappointing point), of logging a line fault with telkom, when out of desperation, I replaced my ADSL filter, with the one in the PACE modem's box, and viola, it worked.

Just thought I share this with some of you guys, as I was under the impression that a filter is a filter. Boy was I wrong. So I guess the new VDSL network uses higher / lower frequencies to ADSL, and the filter filters all, except those frequencies?

Anyways, hope this helps the next guy.

Martin

Yes, VDSL and ADSL works on different frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Yes, VDSL and ADSL works on different frequencies.
    Thanks for the info on the line filter, what is your download speed like on 20mb VDSL

I just upgraded to 20meg VDSL and what a pleasure. At first they just upped the line to 20meg ADSL2+. Phoned them and got it converted to VDSL. There is a huge difference in speed on both 20meg profiles. VDSL 2meg faster download. Of course less overhead.

Just so everyone knows:
    You can use a VDSL filter on an ADSL line as well, been doing it for a couple of months, so if you need to replace the filter, look for a VDSL one so you won't have to get a new one if Telkom finally upgrades you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

what is a vdsl filter? the ethernet like cord connected from the router to LTU?

hey i have a zyxel and no filter was provided in box...i did the same upgrade....and still having problems switching to vdsl line

where do i get a vdsl filter

Am I missing something, a filter is only needed if you plugging in a phone or fax machine. It doesn't do anything to the DSL port. You can plug your modem directly into the wall socket without a filter and it will work.

The only reason you install a filter is to cut out the interference/noise on your phone line . The VDSL/ADSL Connection can be plugged straight into your wall socket. The line normally will not sink with ADSL LINE if you plug the line into the wrong connection on the phone line filter.

Adsl 2+ can give you the 20mbs download speed but your upload speed is capped.

Is there any reliable way to check if it is better to use VDSL vs ADSL on 20mbps or can Telkom just switch the profiles relatively easy? i.e. in most cases it seems that ADSL on 20mbps seems to be more stable and since I already have a ADSL modem, why go through the expense of buying a VDSL modem and then possibly running into more issues (or always left wondering while on ADSL 20mbps if VDSL would be much faster).

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDude4Eva View Post
    Is there any reliable way to check if it is better to use VDSL vs ADSL on 20mbps or can Telkom just switch the profiles relatively easy? i.e. in most cases it seems that ADSL on 20mbps seems to be more stable and since I already have a ADSL modem, why go through the expense of buying a VDSL modem and then possibly running into more issues (or always left wondering while on ADSL 20mbps if VDSL would be much faster).
    VDSL is definitely worth it, If upload matters somewhat to you, that extra 1mbps will come in handy especially in your line of work connecting to vpns etc.

Also your SNR margins should improve on VDSL if they are low on ADSL2+

Quote Originally Posted by ghostR View Post
    VDSL is definitely worth it, If upload matters somewhat to you, that extra 1mbps will come in handy especially in your line of work connecting to vpns etc.

Also your SNR margins should improve on VDSL if they are low on ADSL2+
    Awesome - thanks so much for the quick help from all. I will certainly get this done then. Hoping that this will be a seamless exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDude4Eva View Post
    Awesome - thanks so much for the quick help from all. I will certainly get this done then. Hoping that this will be a seamless exercise.
    I would recommend getting the Telkom Pace or the VDSL Zyxel router - Don't get the Netgear it's [email protected]

The pace you can return in 7 days if you aren't able to get onto a VDSL profile, once you've plugged in the Pace or Zyxel, it will sync at ADSL2+, Phone 10210, tell them you are on ADSL2+ and ask them to move you to VDSL profile. They should know what you mean and they'll ask you to reboot and it should be done.

oh, and don't use Afrihost if you sync higher than 10mbps, you are asking for trouble

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast