Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salaries in job posts

I'm looking at the moment and while I think salary estimate is important I send my current salary when I apply. So they know upfront what the expectation is.
    If you are looking then you will have done a cv anyway.

Also then they learn what the current rate is. So they know that a candidate like will be looking for. Honestly sometimes companies are filling a position that they have not had before and they don't know what to offer.
    Last edited by Nerfherder; 13-04-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    I'm looking at the moment and while I think salary estimate is important I send my current salary when I apply. So they know upfront what the expectation is.
    If you are looking then you will have done a cv anyway.

Also then they learn what the current rate is. So they know that a candidate like will be looking for. Honestly sometimes companies are filling a position that they have not had before and they don't know what to offer.
    You can't have a position and not have a budget. If you do, that is not a company you want to be working at in the first place.

As for putting your salary on the CV, that is a terrible thing to do. He who mentions a number first always loses.

If you are also going this way, could you add a filter in order to remove IT Jobs from the "What's new" section. They are spamming so many new positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    You can't have a position and not have a budget. If you do, that is not a company you want to be working at in the first place.

As for putting your salary on the CV, that is a terrible thing to do. He who mentions a number first always loses.
    Most applications ask what your current salary is or what you are looking for.

It's only fair, if you expect them to post a salary then you should too.

You only really have a budget of you are filling an existing position. If it's a new one you might be trying to find out what the feasibility of hiring someone is.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

Most applications ask what your current salary is or what you are looking for.

It's only fair, if you expect them to post a salary then you should too.

You only really have a budget of you are filling an existing position. If it's a new one you might be trying to find out what the feasibility of hiring someone is.
    Then you look at what others are offering for the position/skill-set and price accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    Then you look at what others are offering for the position/skill-set and price accordingly.
    Circular logic.

Then everyone is looking for candidates at a salary that might not even exist

Grandmaster

I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you saying a company wants to hire someone, know what that person is expected to do, but has no clue whatsoever as to how much they are willing to pay that person, not even a salary range?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    gEEZUZ, is it an "IN" thing to be so incredibly ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you saying a company wants to hire someone, know what that person is expected to do, but has no clue whatsoever as to how much they are willing to pay that person, not even a salary range?
    Yes.

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.

You can look at what others are offering but how do you know that they have the same need.

For example I saw an advert for a job here identical to my current job but was 20k less than what I earn. Now I earn a lot more for several reasons... But the job is identical.

Circular logic. Then everyone is looking for candidates at a salary that might not even exist
    Then you know that you priced it incorrectly. Trial and error. A company will(should) never open a position without having an inkling of what the pricing should be.

Quote Originally Posted by abzo View Post
    If you're taking a job just for the salary then you need to reevaluate your life.
    Why take a job then? For the coffee and muffins?

Before I post, lovely new mobi site. Really looks modern and on par with the competition (no I don't use Tapatalk for Android. Too many bugs).
    Now... I believe myBb are trying to attract as much traffic here as possible and one of the ways that's done is through the IT Jobs forum. Imagine how many fewer posts/updates this section would have if salary was a requirement in every ad. Fewer visitors.
    My 2C worth.

Quote Originally Posted by jax_maxit View Post
    Before I post, lovely new mobi site. Really looks modern and on par with the competition (no I don't use Tapatalk for Android. Too many bugs).
    Now... I believe myBb are trying to attract as much traffic here as possible and one of the ways that's done is through the IT Jobs forum. Imagine how many fewer posts/updates this section would have if salary was a requirement in every ad. Fewer visitors.
    My 2C worth.
    Imagine how many would stop looking at it due to the lack of salaries.

Grandmaster

Yes.

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.
    How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    gEEZUZ, is it an "IN" thing to be so incredibly ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?
    Circular logic

Quote Originally Posted by jax_maxit View Post
    My 2C worth.
    See, that is the problem. I'd rather be known as the site that has quality job ads with salary brackets, than just another pnet or careerjunction where anything goes with "market related".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast