You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salaries in job posts

Well without a salary/benefits listing or the company's name they all the job posts look like this to me:

Looking for [insert language here] developer
    Must have [insert a number no larger than 7 here] years experience
    Must be [insert combination of generic skills like awesome, self-starter, team-focused, work under pressure, etc. here]
    Location [somewhere in RSA]

Hardly anything to convince me to give up my current job.
    DANGER

There is something called Job Grading for companies which are not sure of the salary to offer, labour law probably provides guidance as well. How to assign a salary to a job is surely a known science in the HR profession.

Meh - let the "market related" job trolls not post any ranges. I don't see why forum members should waste their time giving advice on how to get [email protected] candidates to apply to their jobs posts.
    Last edited by cguy; 14-04-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Grandmaster

As mentioned earlier, the candidates you really want are the ones who aren't actively looking for jobs, and the only way to do that is to entice them out of their job by posting a salary range. Because let's face it, although it might not be the only factor in choosing a job, a decent salary is one of the main things you'll be looking out for when deciding. It's the thing that will dictate the quality of life for you, so why wouldn't one be interested in what you would earn when looking at these potential jobs?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Yes.

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.
    How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?
    Still waiting on a response from Nerfherder...
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAsk View Post
    gEEZUZ, is it an "IN" thing to be so incredibly ignorant?

Still waiting on a response from Nerfherder...
    What response do you want? You haven't really asked anything that I haven't answered already.

I don't care if the salary is in the job ad or not. If the job is relevant I'll apply, I'm looking to make a move. If the salary is too low then they can make up their own minds if they want me or not. It's worth the try.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Grandmaster

What response do you want? You haven't really asked anything that I haven't answered already.

I don't care if the salary is in the job ad or not. If the job is relevant I'll apply, I'm looking to make a move. If the salary is too low then they can make up their own minds if they want me or not. It's worth the try.

Ehhh, the question is right there in my post I quoted (and I even quoted your post upon which the question is based for clarity and context). I find it hard to believe that you didn't see it. Here it is again, this time with even more context:

I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you saying a company wants to hire someone, know what that person is expected to do, but has no clue whatsoever as to how much they are willing to pay that person, not even a salary range?
    In other words, the company does not know what an appropriate salary for the position is.

Yes.
    In other words, you agree that the company does not know what an appropriate salary is, then you proceed to sketch a situational example:

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.
    In other words, now the company does know what salary is not appropriate. And my question then follows:

How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?
    I don't know if I can make it any clearer than that. Responding with your personal preferences w.r.t. job adverts is not a response to my question

show the money!
    always!
    its a transaction afterall.

Makes the posts useless. I need to know a range and consider if that range is worth the trouble and fake illnesses to attend interviews
    Have you tried a reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanza View Post
    Why take a job then? For the coffee and muffins?
    *applauds* SPOT ON Deadmanza. The whole happy-clappy 'work for personal fulfillment' thing goes right out the window the very first time your company makes a patently wrong decision solely for profit, and not because of other happy-clappy 'it's in the customers' best interest' explanations.

Let's not kid ourselves: there is NOBODY here who is working who isn't doing it for the money ultimately. Our lifes would be way more fulfilling just sitting in cafes all day, gazing at the sea and thinking creative thoughts ... instead we choose to spend nine hours every day inside an access-controlled environment, soaking up the artificial lighting and being surrounded by people who're somehow more depressed than we are. Reason? Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound5366 View Post
    *applauds* SPOT ON Deadmanza. The whole happy-clappy 'work for personal fulfillment' thing goes right out the window the very first time your company makes a patently wrong decision solely for profit, and not because of other happy-clappy 'it's in the customers' best interest' explanations.

Let's not kid ourselves: there is NOBODY here who is working who isn't doing it for the money ultimately. Our lifes would be way more fulfilling just sitting in cafes all day, gazing at the sea and thinking creative thoughts ... instead we choose to spend nine hours every day inside an access-controlled environment, soaking up the artificial lighting and being surrounded by people who're somehow more depressed than we are. Reason? Money.
    Sure we all are looking for more money, I'm not going to leave my job for less than what I'm currently earning. The point of a new job though is to grow and explore new opportunities, to me if you are asking for the salary upfront it looks like you are there just to get an increase on your current job.
    That is the companies worst nightmare, they spend all this time on looking at the candidates then they take the offer back to their old job and ask for an increase.

So cool, if you are not interested because there is no firm offer in the advert then great. Perhaps it's better you don't apply.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

Sure we all are looking for more money, I'm not going to leave my job for less than what I'm currently earning. The point of a new job though is to grow and explore new opportunities, to me if you are asking for the salary upfront it looks like you are there just to get an increase on your current job.
    That is the companies worst nightmare, they spend all this time on looking at the candidates then they take the offer back to their old job and ask for an increase.

So cool, if you are not interested because there is no firm offer in the advert then great. Perhaps it's better you don't apply.
    When we are looking for growth and better opportunities, we look for them. If they want to pull you away from your current job they need to tell you why you'd want to work for them.

When they list jobs without a salary amongst jobs with salaries that just list all the tech you need to know and other generic "qualities" ....why would anybody bother reading them?

At least give us a detailed description of the job and potential perks (like travel, flexible hours, 20 days leave etc) if you are not going to list the salary.

Give us something.
    DANGER

You are not getting a salary upfront, you are only getting a range. You cannot take that and run back to your employer for an increase as there is no offer.

If you get a job offer and then use it for an increase, well, that happens regardless whether the salary range was posted upfront and that depends on the candidate.

As for wasting company time, it is also going to waste the company time and mine when they offer me a salary that is a half of what I'm currently earning. I'd rather save them the embarrassment as I walk out the door laughing.

Grandmaster

It seems you either missed my question (a second time), or you don't have a logical response. Which is it?

It seems you either missed my question (a second time), or you don't have a logical response. Which is it?
    I gave a response, but it confused you.

It's really simple. You have one guy doing a job at some point you want that guy to do something else because he is over qualified to be doing the job you tasked him with. So you hire a more junior person to do the job. You can't pay that person the same as the senior person because that would defeat the object of moving the senior person.

This is pretty basic business economics, get the expert in to design and develop the solution, then get the junior to take over and maintain the system.

You can advertise the post at 10k pm and then when no one gets back to you, you can can advertise again at 20k until you get some applicants or you can just not put a salary and see what people at that skill level are asking for.

Either way, it does help exclude people who are not serious

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast