You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Salaries in job posts

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieDeBeer View Post
    You should never be giving a new employer any indication of your previous salary anyway. How are they renegotiating like that? If you have already signed an employment contract then they cannot force you to accept a lesser salary. If you have not signed anything then you can simply walk away with no repercussions to you.
    I have never had an interview where they don't ask, besides my first job interviews where I had never been employed before. How do you avoid it if you can't control what they're asking?

Quote Originally Posted by FuturesGroup View Post
    Most is not all, this is merely one example of why salary is not always advertised. There are others.

The quickest solution where salary is not advertised, is to forward your pay scale to the company concerned and state your requirements up front. Keeping your CV up to date is good practice for anyone. Applying for a position should never take long or be a big effort.
    A large majority are not publicly funded companies.
    Your solution is bad. Why should the employee have to go do the work of the company in order to know the salary band within which they are operating. They put out the add, they need the employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6136410418

Quote Originally Posted by FuturesGroup View Post
    As I said, there may not be a clear salary band, especially where a specific skill set is required. Sometimes there's a ceiling only. Advertising the ceiling can create unrealistic expectations.
    The salary band will always be clear, companies don't just go out and say we want this position filled. They are clearly informed/have planned what the costs are for that position. You couldn't run a company any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Palladium View Post
    Assume you don't run a company then.
    So the companies have no clue whatsoever what they want to offer for the position. Lovely budgeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    So the companies have no clue whatsoever what they want to offer for the position. Lovely budgeting.
    What's the point of giving an amount if you are only going to leave for more than what you are currently getting and they will only hire someone for what they are worth
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    What's the point of giving an amount if you are only going to leave for more than what you are currently getting and they will only hire someone for what they are worth
    lol, the guy deleted his posts. Check my quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Unless a (relatively) high earner is actively looking to move jobs, they generally won't bother to inquire about a position without a salary max that exceeds where they currently are. The poster will only get inquiries from those that are paid below industry standard or are unemployed - by leaving the range out, the poster is creating selection bias to their disadvantage.

From an employer point of view and fairly working out what a position is worth, is using a service provider like Payscale entering in everything on the CV/discussed and getting a 3rd party report for what the position is worth a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by nkawit View Post
    From an employer point of view and fairly working out what a position is worth, is using a service provider like Payscale entering in everything on the CV/discussed and getting a 3rd party report for what the position is worth a good idea?
    Problem with sites like Payscale as that the high earners are busy people who more than likely can't be arsed with submitting their details to it.
    DANGER

its rude / incomplete not to at least put a range.. cudnt agree more.. we going to waste everyone's time by making a extremely overqualified/ someone with a large amount of experience apply for a junior job due to the job advert being set up in such a way that one thinks it is for a senior position.

The salary bracket will help in giving an estimate of the difficulty of the job and the experience/qualifications required. It should be a must.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345