Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neotel Home 2mbps LTE Uncapped Customer Review

Thumbs up Neotel Home 2mbps LTE Uncapped Customer Review

After 2.5 months without a working ADSL line, it was time to explore alternative options.

Ordering
    This was seamless. I called neotel on April 7th, sent documents in on April 8th and had an appointment for Installation/Line Of Sight (LOS) test on April 9th.

Installation
    The technicians (contracted to neotel) came on the scheduled day, and couldn't find LOS. "Oh well, let's try bitco" I thought. I went through the processes with bitco, only for neotel asking the next day when they can schedule a LTE test following the unsuccessful LOS for WIMAX. It was never explained that I had 2 options (wimax and LTE), and I had already signed the bitco documentation.

A week passed and on April 16th, bitco advised they have no LOS from my house (they do internal tests before scheduling installation).

Anyway, I go back to neotel and ask them if they can check for LTE coverage. Within 15 minutes, I received a email response that the installers will contact me later to schedule coverage check and installation.

On April 17th, despite having load shedding in my area, they proceeded with installation (did the setup from within their vehicle), and helped my wife (I was at work) connect her laptop and tablet to the wifi network. A very neat setup with just a router (HUAWEI B-something). Apparently the Neotel LTE tower is 500m away from my house.

Performance
    First thing, catch up with downloads for series episodes missed while without internet. Torrents and (international) News-server downloads flying at 240KB/s. Did some FTP downloads, same speeds. GTA5 updates from social club also flew along.

Youtube 720p streams fine (as long as I'm not using anything else competing for bandwidth).

All things considered, so far so good. Will post some stats tonight, and give a report back on how it performs for online gaming.

I'm sure I've downloaded 30GB or so this weekend.

I did notice connection drop once or twice, but within 10 seconds the connection was restored.

PROS
    Quick installation(s)/coverage checks
    Quick communication
    Getting good speeds on Torrents/NZB/FTP downloads
    Uncapped & Unshaped
    Neat Installation, no brackets, dishes, booster antennae to be installed.

CONS
    A bit more expensive than Telkom
    Was never advised that I had option of either wimax or lte (website doesn't say much either) which caused delay
    24 month contract
    Installation fee (bitco and others have no installation fee with 24 month contract)
    FUP of 200GB on 2mbps (I doubt I'll get there though)

Thanks for the review! If I don't get LOS with BitCo then it looks like Neotel will be my last option.

Please post some speed tests?
    Johannesburg Wireless User Group.
    www.jawug.za.net

Speed tests from my 8mbps Neotel LTE

Name:  Neotel 8mbps LTE.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  59.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by warwickw View Post
    Speed tests from my 8mbps Neotel LTE

Name:  Neotel 8mbps LTE.jpg
Views: 7120
Size:  59.9 KB
    Thanks, speed and latency good!
    www.jawug.za.net

So I have send them all the paperwork on Monday 27 July and they called me yesterday to arrange a time to test/installed. They arrived at 16h00 and first tested with a huawei router inside the house with no signal. They then connected up an external antenna unit and found 4 bar signal, they proceeded to install the external antenna. Took them about 40 min to install and everything was working.

So far the performance is great. Tested with news servers, torrents, steam and youtube and all running at the full 2Mbps.

External antenna > Name:  2015-07-30 17.45.46.jpg
Views: 6741
Size:  48.2 KB
    Speedtest with test sim > Name:  2015-07-30 16.26.39.jpg
Views: 6605
Size:  26.5 KB
    Speedtest with contract sim > Name:  2015-07-30 17.50.52.jpg
Views: 6687
Size:  39.1 KB
    Signal > Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 6702
Size:  13.8 KB

They also provided me with a Zyexel vdsl router to use inside the house for wireless but I have connected the external router directly to my Mikrotik router. http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_...ries.shtml?t=p

My only concern now is lightning!!
    Last edited by Grasmuis; 30-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    www.jawug.za.net

Great thread and feedback, guys. It sounds like Neotel offer a real professional service. I'd love to see them offering better packages and prices and really competing against the rest on the consumer front.

Go Neotel!
    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP | RocketNet Apollo 100 Home Uncapped Fibre | Telkom SmartPlan 100 Voice

Default Neotel Home 2mbps LTE Uncapped Customer Review

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmuis View Post
    External antenna > Name:  2015-07-30 17.45.46.jpg
Views: 6741
Size:  48.2 KB
    @Grasmuis any idea what outdoor antenna that is? It could be a Poynting XPOL-0001 but I can't be sure.

BTW Neotel use a standard Huawei B593 LTE CPE, the same device used by Telkom for their LTE (Vodacom now use Zyxel and MTN do a rebranded B593 that is black in colour).
    Last edited by Azimuth; 14-08-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP | RocketNet Apollo 100 Home Uncapped Fibre | Telkom SmartPlan 100 Voice

Been using Neotel for about 2 weeks now and so far its rock solid. I have downloaded about 80GB so far and no shaping at all, torrents run full speed. Can stream 720p youtube without any buffering.
    www.jawug.za.net

They use a Atel LTE router outside with POE, I have the manual at home and post the model no tonight. The router and antenna is one unit.

They first tested inside the house with a Huawei B593 and then used the Atel outdoor unit to test outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    @Grasmuis any idea what outdoor antenna that is? It could be a Poynting XPOL-0001 but I can't be sure.

BTW Neotel use a standard Huawei B593 LTE CPE, the same device used by Telkom for their LTE (Vodacom now use Zyxel and MTN do a rebranded B593 that is black in colour).
    Last edited by Grasmuis; 14-08-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    www.jawug.za.net

Quote Originally Posted by the eskimo View Post
    A very neat setup with just a router (HUAWEI B-something).
    Different installs?

Edit: ah, missed your edit.

Please do post more on this Atel unit?

They started using Atel routers - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...1#post15355918

www.jawug.za.net

Thanks for that link - I'll be sure to head there and read more.

Very interesting that they switched from the B593 to Atel. The B593 works flawlessly for everyone else so why not Neotel? Also, did Neotel ever try adding outdoor antennas to the B593?

Thing is, this Atel integrated CPE is severely limited. That antenna can't be more than 2-3dBi gain whereas with the B593, one can use something that gives 12dBi again.
    Last edited by Azimuth; 14-08-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks for that link - I'll be sure to head there and read more.

Very interesting that they switched from the B593 to Atel. The B593 works flawlessly for everyone else so why not Neotel? Also, did Neotel ever try adding outdoor antennas to the B593?

Thing is, this Atel integrated CPE is severely limited. That antenna can't be more than 2-3dBi gain whereas with the B593, one can use something that gives 12dBi again.
    I'm not sure why the use the Atel routers. Nope they only tested with the 2 small antennas on the B593.

They installed this Atel AOL-PE103 unit and can't find any specs for this unit.

http://www.asiatelco.com/en/products...ath=0|4|50|59|
    Last edited by Grasmuis; 14-08-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    www.jawug.za.net

And they provided me with a static public IP.
    www.jawug.za.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast