Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FTTH Rondebosch

Default FTTH Rondebosch

I have received an email from RCID(Rondebosch Community Improvement District) canvassing interest for fibre access in the suburb.If you are based in Rondebosch and want more details or are interested in expressing your interest PM me.

Will this count for Little Mowbray too perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by wizzypow View Post
    Will this count for Little Mowbray too perhaps?
    No. I've made similar enquiries to the OP regarding neighbouring areas (Rosebank in my case), and the reply that I received was "only Rondebosch".

+1000000

Rondebosch needs FTTH badly. Poor exchange quality and issues there.
    The speedtest to end all speedtests: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5776654001

Yeah please! I would love fiber, that being said I'm only studying this year and next and things usually move quite slow :/. I'm all for it though! I wonder if my road (Lyle) would count, it's technically still in Rondebosch if only just!

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge_za View Post
    Yeah please! I would love fiber, that being said I'm only studying this year and next and things usually move quite slow :/. I'm all for it though! I wonder if my road (Lyle) would count, it's technically still in Rondebosch if only just!
    Crap, you're in walking distance...

Lyle Road is Rosebank though. Rondebosch starts at Nursery Road (one block down from you).
    Last edited by Kelerei; 23-07-2015 at 04:51 PM.

... wow that luck though :/. That being said I would probably move a couple roads to get fiber, even for a year. It's just worth it!

Just an update.RCID has received sufficient responses from the community to start the RFP process and then hopefully an MOU shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by ajules View Post
    Just an update.RCID has received sufficient responses from the community to start the RFP process and then hopefully an MOU shortly thereafter.
    I have friends there who will want info. Is there a website?
    The speedtest to end all speedtests: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5776654001

Not yet.We're not as jacked up as Constantia

I've been speaking to a couple of the guys that do not so much FTTH (because FTTH is the biggest load of BS, true FTTH wont ever happen in this country), but Fibre installations.

I'm negotiating for rollout in my entire street, since it comprises alot of flat blocks. Problem is, most are people renting, so cant really pull enough demand.

So far MTN advertises that they do FTTH in Rondebosch, sent them a mail in march, got a reply last week, so MTN [email protected]#$ off to hell as far as I'm concerned.

DFA has backbone running along main roads in Rondebosch already, ye wish were as organised as Constantia, although they sold it as a CCTV network with the added benefit of FTTH. Thats how they convinced people to have it rolled out further than just main roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard View Post
    I've been speaking to a couple of the guys that do not so much FTTH (because FTTH is the biggest load of BS, true FTTH wont ever happen in this country), but Fibre installations.
    its common knowledge that telkom ftth is not real ftth, but rather fibre instead of copper as last mile. From the exchange its exactly the same as ADSL.

but other providers are (as i understand) most certainly proper FTTH - unless you know something i dont?

Quote Originally Posted by zeely View Post
    its common knowledge that telkom ftth is not real ftth, but rather fibre instead of copper as last mile. From the exchange its exactly the same as ADSL.

but other providers are (as i understand) most certainly proper FTTH - unless you know something i dont?
    Telkom FTTH is "true" FTTH. Your connection is fibre from the house to the backbone of the net. The exchange has a fibre backhaul.

Sure, it goes through Telkom exchanges, but that is a mere technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by jackshiels View Post
    Telkom FTTH is "true" FTTH. Your connection is fibre from the house to the backbone of the net. The exchange has a fibre backhaul.

Sure, it goes through Telkom exchanges, but that is a mere technicality.
    not quite - telkom fibre runs over IPC, EXACTLY the same as your adsl. That is why you can use your adsl account on a telkom FTTH line.

operators who have provisioned their own networks have no such limitations.

I suspect this is also why telkom FTTH upload speeds are 1/10th of download, whereas other providers your upload is generally 1/2 of your download speed

Quote Originally Posted by zeely View Post
    not quite - telkom fibre runs over IPC, EXACTLY the same as your adsl. That is why you can use your adsl account on a telkom FTTH line.

operators who have provisioned their own networks have no such limitations.

I suspect this is also why telkom FTTH upload speeds are 1/10th of download, whereas other providers your upload is generally 1/2 of your download speed
    Physically it is pretty much the same as FTTH anywhere else though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast