Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: FTTH Rondebosch

Quote Originally Posted by ajules View Post
    I struggled with all of them in terms of consistency so loathe to recommend any.Afrihost so far is great.They have a bundled line/data option of 100MB line and 200GB of data + free after hours data for R997.Great value.

On a separate topic I have managed to migrate to VOIP which I am truly enjoying.Using Webafrica’s VOIP service.Great call quality and cost savings.Nice to finally be free of Telkom.
    Thank you

I average 350GB a month just with legal streaming (owing to my TV and Amazon Fire TV streaming in 4K), so I was thinking to go uncapped.

I am also definitely going to have 1GB/1GB (just for one month)... to see what my friends in Kansas City (USA) have the daily pleasure of on their Google Fiber...
    Google Fiber dreaming.....

I was nearly embarrassed to do this, but I've logged an official fault for investigation because I can *only* get 88mbps max (down) on my 100meg line. The line is stable, pings are low, uploads max at 49mbps... but it bothers me that I'm not getting closer to the full 100 megs.

Must say that FTTH is making a massive difference to my life.Busy backing up stuff to Onedrive and Dropbox and speeds are fantastic.Hopefully Openserve will increase upload speeds to 100 MB/s soon

Also on Webafrica Voice and I can already see cost savings and voice clarity is massively better.
    Last edited by ajules; 08-10-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajules View Post
    Must say that FTTH is making a massive difference to my life.Busy backing up stuff to Onedrive and Dropbox and speeds are fantastic.Hopefully Openserve will increase upload speeds to 100 MB/s soon

Also on Webafrica Voice and I can already see cost savings and voice clarity is massively better.
    Good to hear! It's been quite the revolution for us too. We have a similar story with OneDrive and DropBox. We have backed up massive amounts of important data to the cloud, which would simply have been a prohibitively inconvenient and time-consuming process, with ADSL. I've also synced our entire digital music library (about 150 gigs) with both Google Play Music and Apple Music. I'll eventually stick with only one of the two services, but I'm taking advantage of their trial periods in the meantime. We've also taken full advantage of google photos, and backed up all our mobile digital photo libraries to the cloud.

We have 2 Exploras which have both been wired up for ShowMax and Catch up plus etc. Streaming is instantaneous and in full HD. Netflix is available in more than one room on more than one device, and works flawlessly even with multiple users simultaneously. The Smart TV has finally become "smart", with YouTube and other streaming apps working in full HD at anytime.

All that, and I'm still complaining, because only 88mbps. First world problems. At last !

@sybawoods - which ISP did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeyou View Post
    @sybawoods - which ISP did you go with?
    I went with Mweb. So far, so good. They had my ADSL account, so it was more a matter of convenience (usernames, billing details etc, didn't change and they were first out the blocks with an installation date). Initially went with uncapped 100/50 for something like R1299 (can't remember exact amount), but it was heavily shaped. I switched to a capped 100/50 with 1000 gigs of data for R50 more, which is unshaped and works well for us.

Octotel is busy trenching in our area. As soon as they're up and running, I plan to switch, so OpenServe is a short(ish)-term gig for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516