Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid Electricity City of Cape Town

Default Prepaid Electricity City of Cape Town

I cant seem to purchase any electricity for my prepaid meter in Cape Town, the shops are down and so is purchasing through Standard Bank. Anyone else with this issue (In milnerton region)?

Quote Originally Posted by G3nera View Post
    I cant seem to purchase any electricity for my prepaid meter in Cape Town, the shops are down and so is purchasing through Standard Bank. Anyone else with this issue (In milnerton region)?
    Standard Bank had been problematic for quite some time now. Try fnb or another bank.

Quote Originally Posted by zizo911 View Post
    Standard Bank had been problematic for quite some time now. Try fnb or another bank.
    Has it ever worked? I tried for the first time this weekend (my meter number and my father's) and no go.
    Quote Originally Posted by dade View Post
    Watch out, that site is currently vulnerable to the logjam attack.
    Firefox 39 refuses to even open that site:
    Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.ibuy.co.za. SSL received a weak ephemeral Diffie-Hellman key in Server Key Exchange handshake message. (Error code: ssl_error_weak_server_ephemeral_dh_key)
    • The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    • Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Has it ever worked? I tried for the first time this weekend (my meter number and my father's) and no go.

Watch out, that site is currently vulnerable to the logjam attack.
    Firefox 39 refuses to even open that site:
    iBuy is where the City of CT refers customers. It seems to be their prefered supplier (i.e. money spinner)

Buy from a Spar or corner shop, Engen, Pick 'n pay etc..

Quote Originally Posted by AntiGanda View Post
    iBuy is where the City of CT refers customers. It seems to be their prefered supplier (i.e. money spinner)
    Up until 2011 there were a couple of places you could purchase electricity online.
    Then CoCT decided that they will only allow one online vendor, one SMS vendor, etc. and unfortunately they picked the worst online vendor.
    energy.co.za / plasma.syntell.net was much better - they would SMS and email the code to you after you purchased online.
    ibuy take you to a page where you can print your code...

I use www.myprepaid.co.za . I am in Milnerton.
    If unable to see this message, turn on Futurama now

Its a constant headache, systems constantly down etc. especially when you need them.
    And then every time workable vendors appear on the scene CoCT scuttles them.

There were some nice online vendors and then CoCT got rid of them, prepaid24 was remotely usable and then CoCT demanded they introduce some terrible SMS scheme (so just paying isn't enough you must now send them a pointless SMS to tell them you have paid...) etc.

I don't know wtf CoCT's problem is with people being able to buy electricity...

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/Pages/...urchasing.aspx (2011/08/04)
    As of 1 August, a new tender has come into effect to facilitate the purchasing of prepaid electricity. The new tender will slightly change the way customers can buy electricity, while introducing a number of new channels for purchase:

The following channels are now available to customers to purchase prepaid electricity:

Internet vending
    The biggest change that the new tender brings is the way in which customers can purchase their electricity online.

Previously, the City had three internet service providers and customers could purchase electricity from four different websites, namely www.paycity.co.za, www.energy.co.za, www.ibuy.co.za and www.ipay.co.za.

Because of exciting future plans for this service, the tender to facilitate purchasing of prepaid electricity through the internet was awarded to only one service provider, namely www.ibuy.co.za.

City customers who purchase electricity online will now find that they are no longer able to purchase via the www.energy.co.za, www.paycity.co.za, and www.ipay.co.za sites. These customers will have to register on www.ibuy.co.za.

This change will affect approximately 30 000 prepaid customers who have been using the internet to purchase electricity. Approximately 456 000 prepaid customers use various other channels to purchase electricity.

The City apologises for any inconvenience the above changes may cause. For help regarding the changes, please contact the City’s Electricity Department on:

Tel: 0860 103 089
    SMS: 31220
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Web: www.capetown.gov.za

Quote Originally Posted by mmacleod View Post
    Its a constant headache, systems constantly down etc. especially when you need them.
    And then every time workable vendors appear on the scene CoCT scuttles them.

There were some nice online vendors and then CoCT got rid of them, prepaid24 was remotely usable and then CoCT demanded they introduce some terrible SMS scheme (so just paying isn't enough you must now send them a pointless SMS to tell them you have paid...) etc.

I don't know wtf CoCT's problem is with people being able to buy electricity...
    Thats shocking - reflects very poorly indeed on the DA run city.
    CityPower JHB works 99.9% of the time via FNB. Easy and painless.
    Perhaps a pointed Tweet to them (DA) is in order.

Grandmaster

I have never had an issue finding a place to buy electricity in cape town...i however mostly use fnb
    Quote Originally Posted by stricken View Post
    I'd rather shove a pinecone up my own arse.

Standard Bank are not allowed to sell COCT electricity anymore. Apparently they did not conform to some or other standard or whatever

i use powertime.co.za

never had any issues.
    Fortune Cookie:
    "Your life will be happy and peaceful."
    Dear Cookie, What drugs are you on, we should share.

Grandmaster

I use Powertime.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast