Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .joburg, .durban & .capetown domains, same price as co.za

Lightbulb .joburg, .durban & .capetown domains, same price as co.za

Has anybody else has noticed that www.domains.co.za is selling .joburg, .durban & .capetown domains at the same price as .co.za?

What are your thoughts on .city domains? I have seen a .capetown one rank quite high (3rd or 4th) on the big G a few days ago, but can't remember the keyword term. It was travel related though.

Think it could become a factor once local searching really evolves?

My thoughts on these domains..... worthless to me. No real benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic2k View Post
    My thoughts on these domains..... worthless to me. No real benefit.
    Except the fact that you can actually get the one you're looking for, and maybe it will start to rank once local searches becomes priority.

Super Grandmaster

Perhaps useful if you are an entity that does something very specific to a location - i.e. tourism attractions, etc, but otherwise why would you want to limit your appeal to a single city? Unless you setup your domain on a co.za and then have a regionalized landing page for each city domain, but I really don't think the SA market is that developed. Would it really make sense to have, for example, myonlinebusiness.co.za as well as a myonlinebusiness.durban, .capetown, .joburg, etc etc?? Can't see the value in it, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Uber may register these domains but considering they consolidated all their various Twitter accounts for each city it may not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    Gulp and grunt is what happens at a BDSM party right?

Grandmaster

For local based business it might make sense like tourism or contractors, caterers etc. You can lock them in for 10 years as well for the current price.

Quote Originally Posted by moklet View Post
    For local based business it might make sense like tourism or contractors, caterers etc. You can lock them in for 10 years as well for the current price.
    Might be good for Event companies who have events in different cities?

@Pixelbender, yes, we have dropped the price of .joburg, .durban & .capetown to the same as a .co.za for our “Spring Promo” for the month of September in conjunction with the Registry.

All the viewpoints on this are valid, there could be many reasons why a company would want any of the new gTLD’s. Local companies may want to buy these just so that they have them even if they don’t do anything with them initially. For companies registering these upfront, this would be a lot cheaper than losing them to somebody else and then having to go the legal route thereafter even if they own the trademarks etc. (EG: Nando’s may buy nandos.joburg etc and then run specific promotions for each region on each domains, makes sense.)

I personally believe that Google will start ranking the new gTLD’s differently going forward and an example of this would be, if you are in Cape Town and you searching for a plumber, Google.co.za can pick up your IP address, know that you are in Cape Town and show your results like joebloggsplumber.capetown before other sites. This may not be happening in SA properly yet but there is a lot of talk about people in New York searching for stuff and Google.com and the results of .ny websites reflecting higher than others.

Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelbender View Post
    Has anybody else has noticed that www.domains.co.za is selling .joburg, .durban & .capetown domains at the same price as .co.za?

What are your thoughts on .city domains? I have seen a .capetown one rank quite high (3rd or 4th) on the big G a few days ago, but can't remember the keyword term. It was travel related though.

Think it could become a factor once local searching really evolves?
    Oi! Mothrfckr! Keep it down.

I want to start squatting but now the whole forum knows :P

+ Reply to Thread