Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Telkom Mega100WR2 - International and Local Traffic Splitting

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got capped on my TI account. So I thought it would be a simple process of changing the details on the Advanced --> WAN --> quickstart to my WebAfrica prepaid account (SAIX). Problem is that the router now takes the Primary DNS settings from the local account (an IS OpenWeb Account) so the WA account cannot authenticate and connect.

This happens even if I hard reset the router and I setup the WA account first (which then picks up the correct primary DNS and authenticates). As soon as I add the OW account, it hijacks the Primary DNS and the WA account loses connection. If I follow this exact same process with my TI account it has its DNS as the Primary DNS and authenticates.

EDIT: I here there are some authentication issues that WA is having. I will cross my fingers that is what is at play here. Though I don't hold much hope given that my WA account authenticates when it is the only one on the router.

EDIT2: The issue was indeed the WA authentication problem. I bought a 1GB Axxess prepaid account which worked without issue.
    Last edited by milomak; 28-06-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps routing the dns server lookups over correct ppp connection will help so try this:

If ppp0 is SAIX and ppp1 is IS then we can presume your dns entries have been hijacked by IS and lookups will occur on their network as local traffic is routed to them so try routing the nameserver lookups back to SAIX:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf | sed s/nameserver// | sed s/' '// | while read nameserver ; do echo route add -host $nameserver ppp0 ; done
    If that fails then try reversing ppp0 and ppp1 and run this:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf | sed s/nameserver// | sed s/' '// | while read nameserver ; do echo route add -host $nameserver ppp1 ; done
    It has to do with where the traffic is being routed so it must be solvable . Let me know if that helps.

Also check the contents of resolv.conf with just IS and just WA and compare. Then connect both and see what it looks like. The idea here is to see if the entries are replaced or added to. We want to try make it look as tho only the WA account is there and route the DNS lookups for requests on their network over their network.
    Last edited by z3r3; 28-06-2007 at 05:55 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As my 2nd edit states, the problem was likely the issue WA were having with their authentication server. TI and Axxess SAIX accounts both connected without issue.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK .. maybe I'm being thick .. but I've been following this thread for a while now .. and there still doesnt seem to be a documented / step by step way to setup the routes once we have established 2 connections. It seems we have some scripts (as a windows user, my experience with those are at best limited.... ) which I have NO idea how to actually use ...

So to make it a simple extension of the existing thread here is the question : How do you actually set up the routes (via a routes text file) to enable all the routes to send traffic via local or international account, and will these setting save on router setting save, or will they need to be run on every router reboot ?

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll have to wait for one of the other users to convert what I did in Linux to a Windows script. At the moment on every router reboot i have to run the script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick question did you manage to get all the routes loaded into the router or are there still some issues.

For Jetlee once I get this working either on my router or my colleagues one I was planning to write a simple windows application that you can specify the details with and let it do the config for you (when my work and studies allow it).

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK understood .... thx .. can you then clarify what actually happens with a Linux script .. is it the same as doing a "route add" in Windows (I assume not .. I assume that a "route add" will adjust the routing table of the dns server and not of the router .. but I may be mistaken !!)

I seem to think that what you do (via script) is the same as the "route add" except it is added to the routers routing table (??) .. if this is the case .. can the script result not also be achieved by using a command line from windows shell (obviously not viable for 200 routing entries .. but perhaps a batch file or small exe could do the job of reading from a file and executing command line instructions) ?

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx francoistk ... I am a developer by profession .. that application that you talk about was going to be my next question ...

If I can understand what the hardware requires .. a software interface should only be hours away
    Last edited by jetlee; 28-06-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The script downloads the localroutes4.txt file. if you look at the file it does not specify a ppp interface but rather $LOCAL. The first part of the scripts converts $LOCAL to ppp1 and changes net to host where the subnet is /32. The router cannot handle the /xx notation for subnets so the second part of the script removes the /xx and adds netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. The created file then has lines like route add -net xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy. Then the script prepares the routes so that they can be added to the router via a script file that will logon and send the commands to the routers cli interface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jetlee, the reason fracoistk and I have hit something of a brick wall is that I have one of the older models of the Mega 100 that is mentioned on the first page of this thread. As a result of this we can't add additional pppoe connections through the web interface. We have been working to add them manually in the shell, but unlike his router (which is a different make and model) my Mega seems insistent on giving the second connection a local IP address. Once we figure this out it should be plain sailing and from there I'll look at a step-by step for windows and he is planning to write an app that will do it all for you.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about all the Q's guys, but I dont actually have a 100wr2 .. am possibly going to be getting 1 in a week or 2 (new adsl install at home) , and a mate has 1 and we are trying to get his openweb and cybersmart accounts sorted so that we can enjoy hours of battlefield 2 without killing his int cap. Have successfully added the 2 connections, but it seems that even if we add a manual static route (via the Web interface) a traceroute still reveals local requests going through his intl isp ..

Right .. with that out of the way, its starting to make more sense now, but at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot ... are you saying that running a "route add ..... " through the router for each route, will effictively create this routing setup correctly (obviously provided that you use the correct ppp connections for each route) ?

If this is the case, I assume you mean by telnetting into the router and passing each command 1 at a time (whether programatically or manually) (as I dont currently have a router like this I am in the dark as to exactly what this telnet interface behaves like... )

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry guys ... after reading milomak's last post and looking at the localroutes4.txt file .. I looked back through the thread and the penny dropped ...

Ok .. so all we need is a windows service that will check :
    1) All ppp connections are correctly setup
    2) The routing table is the same as the localroutes text file

.. if not it needs to adjust (add / remove/ edit) the ppp connections (via telnet on the router) - telnet the routes into the router according to a pre-existing setup and viola ...

true or false ?

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick bit of info ... if you are needing to run telnet against commands in a texfile .. check out this neat little program

http://www.petri.co.il/software/tst10.zip

which has a text file which you place the commands and the app logs on .. executes the text file instructions and then logs out .. now all we need is a compatible text file with all the routes and logins .... that will be my next trick ....

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited post #55 which now works perfectly in linux.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something i've noticed is that the ping error I had in Linux is not repliacted in XP. Thus if you use Linux your speeds of the IS news server are halved. I am busy investigating this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast