Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Telkom Mega100WR2 - International and Local Traffic Splitting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default new light?

Hey chaps,

maybe i'm missing the point of what you're trying to achieve with the static routing, but it seems you're getting WAY too complicated with all this scripting and kernel compling etc.... and having to download the route every time you restart the router...

Static routing is a basic function of a router, you need to add them at the router level for each ppp interface, not at the OS (linux) level. Then you can save changes to NVRAM. Only needs to be done once.

more detailed instructions:

you need to have the mutiple connections setup as explained by 2C Telecoms at the beginning of this thread.

Telnet to the router (hyperterminal or PuTTY)
    login to the CLI
    type enable
    enter your password
    type wan
    type sh con
    you should see a list of your connections (quickstart and localtraffic in my case...) along with the connection IDs
    Take note of your local traffic connection ID and use it in the following cmd:
    type c 2
    Now you can add the static routes. You can paste an entire block of routes directly from notepad. They should be in non CIDR format:

ro static-a 169.202.0.0 255.255.0.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0
    ro static-a 196.44.0.0 255.255.224.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0

type apply and then sh ro to verify that they are in
    type save to save to flash

hope this helps....

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brodacom, the script does the routing at router level and not at the OS level. The instruction set will only run from a linux perspective as I use linux and not XP and thus have only been able to create a method of creating the routing table on the router from Linux.

Doing it using your method, does it save the routing table if you reboot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant not adding them at the OS level of the router. Rather add them at the cli prompt, then you will be able to save the routing table to non-volatile ram and it will be retained after rebooting the router.
    Doesn't matter what OS your PC is running.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, looking closely at your post I see what you are saying. Hmmm never really thought of exploring the router at cli level as opposed to the shell level.

Code:
    ro static-a 169.202.0.0 255.255.0.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0
    I take it the first IP is the range you want to direct (169.202.0.0). The 2nd is the netmask address (255.255.0.0). What is the 3rd IP (165.146.148.1)?

EDIT: It seems to me you are clued up about this modem. Do you know how to setup connections manually from the CLI interface
    Last edited by milomak; 27-08-2007 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, the 3rd IP is my 'local traffic' gateway! Insert your own...

it's the normal route add format (network address, netmask, gateway)

I haven't bothered to convert alm's entire localroutes4.txt file from the CIDR (/24 /20 etc..) to normal IP range. If someone does, let me know!!

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'local traffic' gateway? At the router level would that be your ISPs DNS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. It's the default gateway for your ppp connection with the 'local-only' ISP

You can get it by typing ifconfig in the shell and looking at the P-t-P address for your local ppp connection.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'll play around tonight.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems like things are moving fast now.

I think i speak for quite a few users when i say that getting this right would be fantastic.

As soon as you guys have it working, could you create a new thread with full, detailed, step by step instructions.

I like to jump between operating systems, so easily splitting at router level with the mega100 would be very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit confused by the gateway address... As far as I could gather that would change each time you reconnect... and if it changed each time the router reconnected, surely that would be a problem.
    Last edited by psainsbury; 27-08-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the gateway ip address is assigned when you connect, but it shouldn't change unless your ISP starts playing around with the network...

Milomak, in answer to your edit on post 94, it's quite possible to set the connection manually from the cli, but I wouldn't bother! It's far easier to use the web interface.

The CLI on this router is very much like the industry standard Cisco cli. I'm sure most modems out there also use something similar? Perhaps people can start getting away from RAS connections, bridging, route sentry etc??

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with creating the connections on the web interface is that there is no way of specifying which connection is ppp0,1 etc. Which isn’t much of a problem when you create two as it seems to reconnect them in the order you created them. However I have found that when you create 3 (international, IS local and SAIX local); there is no guarantee which will be ppp0,ppp1 or ppp2. I am hoping that creating from the cli will mean that I can force which connection gets which interface number.

But as you say the sooner the day arrives when we have to stop worrying about all this the better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you delete all your connections in the web interface, then save changes and reboot the router, when you create the new connections, they should be assigned to each progressive interface in the order you create them, as long as you save changes after creating each one.

If you want to go the cli route, you need to go to the wan context, then connection 1 and set up all your details like
    connection type pppoe,
    connection name xxx,
    ppp authentication username xxx
    ppp authentication password xxx
    ppp default route enable/disable
    and other ppp options (type ppp ?) for help
    atm pvc 8 35
    etc..

It's a fair amount of work!
    Last edited by Broadcom; 27-08-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure when creating via the web interface I apply and save settings after i've created each one. Was a while back I did. Anyway after playing with the cli interface I might decide to create scripts for the various accounts.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good....I have been doing some digging myself, and well...It looks good too! Just a shame I dont know what any of the commands "do". The "help" does not even show the commands you guys are using here.
    ic's back, back again . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast