You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: HUAWEI B315s LTE router discussion thread.

Works great with LTE on all networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    Just a price update on these units. I purchased 2 this morning from a Telkom Direct store.

Pricing is now
    Code:
    R1309.00
    for prepaid which includes a SIM card but with no data.
    So some Telkom stores are selling for R1309.00, some won't sell to you at all (cash) while others are selling it more expensive at R1499.00. Great network but dodgy stores and front-line staff. They should be cleaned out like the bad apples that they are!
    Huawei E5186s-61a | Internal Antennas | 陰陽 | Telkom 100GB+100GB Postpaid

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Got myself the back one. I have the white one with the uncapped LTE too but they seem exactly the same. Battery pack is designed in such a way it works with the white B315 and the B593 and probaby other routers too.

I see it's an external battery pack integrated into the power supply, the router should use 12v/DC jack with normal connector which means you should be able to use the external battery pack with most routers as they all use virtually the same connector and 12v dc, just check the polarity of the DC jack to prevent the magic smoke escaping before plugging it in.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    I see it's an external battery pack integrated into the power supply, the router should use 12v/DC jack with normal connector which means you should be able to use the external battery pack with most routers as they all use virtually the same connector and 12v dc, just check the polarity of the DC jack to prevent the magic smoke escaping before plugging it in.
    Yes indeed. Can be used with most routers including most adsl routers too. same plug in an out of the battery pack so you can choose to use the battery pack permanently or plug the plug in directly and use it same as the models that does not come with the battery pack.

Very cool indeed but I think it's better to use it permanently as it works like a backup for uninterrupted supply when power goes off. Pretty cool.

Are those batteries available separately?
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth View Post
    So some Telkom stores are selling for R1309.00, some won't sell to you at all (cash) while others are selling it more expensive at R1499.00. Great network but dodgy stores and front-line staff. They should be cleaned out like the bad apples that they are!
    Also got mine for R1309, 2 months ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    It's a very handy thing, worth a few hundred on its own. I'm busy looking for a 5v to 12v dc booster on ebay to use my usb battery bank like this. Only issue is most of them are low current, need min 12v 1a to make most of these routers work.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    I did ask but, judging how Telkom's prices and knowledge varies wildly from store to store, you might get a different answer to me (store I asked said "No").

Keen to get one myself for LTE-A testing while driving around...
    Huawei E5186s-61a | Internal Antennas | 陰陽 | Telkom 100GB+100GB Postpaid

Default pinging public IP from router behind the B315?

Hi guys,

Thank you for the thread - some good info here.

I've a SOHO setup where I use the B315 for my VOIP traffic and secondary internet gateway.

I have a mikrotik sitting behind the B315 and a TP-Link adsl modem. After some battling I got this to work, i.e. my VOIP traffic over LTE and other www traffic over ADSL.

The next phase is to implement some failover scripting between the interfaces. In order to check if interfaces are functioning I want to ping public IPs (e.g. 8.8.8.8) from the mikrotik from the respective connected interfaces (ethernet where adsl(eth1) and LTE(eth6) are plugged in). I need this because PPP is running on adsl modem and, similarly on B315, the connection is managed by the device. This means that from the mikrotik's point of view the interfaces are reachable even though internet may not be.

Ok, so now my problem: I cannot ping public addresses from the mikrotik's eth6 via the B315.
    Is it even possible as B315 is not bridged? I can ping externally from eth1 via adsl.

My setup on B315:
    DHCP disabled;
    Kept GW IP as 192.168.8.1;
    Setup DMZ IP: 192.168.8.100 (configured static IP on connected mikrotik interface) (found that in my case it doesn't make a difference if DMZ is enabled or not)
    Firewall disabled (if enabled my VoIP doesn't work)

On mikrotik:
    NATs (masquerade) on out interfaces eth6 and eth1
    static address (192.168.8.100) and gateway(192.168.8.1) on eth6.

Am I missing something?
    If not possible, any suggestions? Maybe the XML API ? (something like /api/cradle/status-info maybe?)

Software version: 21.313.03.00.1232
    Web UI version: 17.100.09.00.03

Any thoughts on the matter will be much appreciated!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by chilli4me View Post
    I've a SOHO setup where I use the B315 for my VOIP traffic and secondary internet gateway.
    I have a mikrotik sitting behind the B315 and a TP-Link adsl modem. After some battling I got this to work, i.e. my VOIP traffic over LTE and other www traffic over ADSL.
    Nice setup. I do something similar with a dedicated dual-WAN router (a Peplink Balance20) between FTTH and LTE, nowadays mostly just with LTE as a failover for FTTH. Originally I used the setup to "combine" LTE and ADSL connections in much the same way as you describe : faster/capped traffic (typically streaming) over LTE, and slower/uncapped traffic over ADSL.

In order to check if interfaces are functioning I want to ping public IPs (e.g. 8.8.8.8) from the mikrotik from the respective connected interfaces (ethernet where adsl(eth1) and LTE(eth6) are plugged in). I need this because PPP is running on adsl modem and, similarly on B315, the connection is managed by the device. This means that from the mikrotik's point of view the interfaces are reachable even though internet may not be.
    Good plan.
    The Peplink offers a couple of ways to constantly assess gateway health and trigger failover if necessary. One of the more common methods involves constantly pinging the first 2 DNS servers defined on each gateway, much as you describe.

Ok, so now my problem: I cannot ping public addresses from the mikrotik's eth6 via the B315.Is it even possible as B315 is not bridged? I can ping externally from eth1 via adsl.
    One consideration with a dual-WAN setup is deciding which WAN to route a specific LAN packet to. For instance, if you want to "speak" to the B315's Web interface from the Mikrotik's LAN side, how will the Mikrotik know which WAN to issue the request on ?
    Where are you issuing your Ping requests from - a script running on the Mikrotik, or on the command line from the LAN side of the Mikrotik ? If the latter, perhaps your Ping requests are being issued on the wrong WAN interface ?

My setup on B315:
    DHCP disabled;
    Kept GW IP as 192.168.8.1;
    Setup DMZ IP: 192.168.8.100 (configured static IP on connected mikrotik interface) (found that in my case it doesn't make a difference if DMZ is enabled or not)
    Firewall disabled (if enabled my VoIP doesn't work)
    Seems OK.
    DMZ on the LTE router would only affect the behaviour of unsolicited incoming packets originating from the internet via the B315 WAN side. Would/should have no effect on outgoing Pings.

On mikrotik:
    NATs (masquerade) on out interfaces eth6 and eth1
    static address (192.168.8.100) and gateway(192.168.8.1) on eth6.
    What's the subnet used for the ports on the ADSL (eth1) WAN loop ? It should be a different subnet, like 192.168.9.x ?
    Last edited by jcheek; 11-01-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Peplink Balance20 dual-WAN router | Telkom 40Mbps FTTH + WebAfrica 200GB (primary), Huawei B593 + Cell C LTE (failover)

Thanks for the quick response!

One consideration with a dual-WAN setup is deciding which WAN to route a specific LAN packet to. For instance, if you want to "speak" to the B315's Web interface from the Mikrotik's LAN side, how will the Mikrotik know which WAN to issue the request on ?
    For the VoIp packets I've setup a static route to the VoIP server's IP routing over eth6. (Initially I marked packets coming from the phones but had some issues). The rest of the traffic is routed via eth1, I use route distances to control route preferences. (I'm a mikrotik newbie/wannabe-hobbyist, not sure if this functionality is a defacto feature for routers.)

Where are you issuing your Ping requests from - a script running on the Mikrotik, or on the command line from the LAN side of the Mikrotik ? If the latter, perhaps your Ping requests are being issued on the wrong WAN interface ?
    The script is running on the mikrotik, and is suppose to ping from the respective interface, as per google'ed code.
    Code:
    :set PingResultLTE [ping $PingTarget1 interface=$InterfaceLTE count=1]
    It works perfectly for the adsl interface.

What's the subnet used for the ports on the ADSL (eth1) WAN loop ? It should be a different subnet, like 192.168.9.x ?
    ADSL GW=192.168.1.1,eth1 interface ip=192.168.1.2

I can ping from a client connected to the b315s:
    Code:
    C:\>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=55
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=55
    Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 23ms
    It must be something wrong with mikrotik setup. +1 for the last question by jcheek. Other things can be attended after this issue is resolved.

EDIT: It seems ADSL interface IP is correct.
    Last edited by sajunky; 11-01-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Your reply crossed with my first post. Other thought is that DMZ seems not working on B315s. DHCP is disabled but it can be a bug still checking for IP addresses in the DHCP range. Change DHCP range on the B315s to not include microtik or change microtik eth6 IP address. You don't need to disable DHCP when you do it.

And do hardware B315s reset.
    Last edited by sajunky; 11-01-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Grandmaster

ADSL GW=192.168.1.1,eth1 interface ip=192.168.1.2
    What happens if you plug a client direct into one of the LAN ports on the B315 (192.168.1.x) and issue a Ping request from there ?
    And then from the LAN side of the Mikrotik ?
    Peplink Balance20 dual-WAN router | Telkom 40Mbps FTTH + WebAfrica 200GB (primary), Huawei B593 + Cell C LTE (failover)

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    I can ping from a client connected to the b315s:
    It must be something wrong with mikrotik setup.
    Yip you were right!
    It was a routing issue. My route for the LTE interface was set at a higher distance and got ignored, even when explicitly specifying the interface (this is where my assumption made an @$$ of me). I've added a specific routing table/mark for LTE, then using the mkt ping / traceroute tools, I managed to successfully ping from the eth6 interface (with LTE routing table specified).

many thanks guys- just needed you to point out the obvious

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast