Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Full signal but fluctuating speeds?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    46

    Default Full signal but fluctuating speeds?

    Good day fellow afrihoster's

    I bought the afrihost sim along with a 4G router and dongle to use for my online gaming needs because telkom sucks, basically I used to get low signal all the time but now I get 5 full bars but my speed tends to fluctuate alot. (Will post pics later) Should I buy a antenna to stabilize and increase my speed? I have placed my router in the roof which seems to yield the best results so far. Afrihost and MTN are aware of this and have seemed to help by increasing the signal but lowering my speeds and ping. This is the antenna I am looking at as I get about DL= 7/13Mbps and UL=0.5/4Mbps

    I know that LTE cannot always be suitable for online gaming but this is my only option right now.

    Please keep in mind that I am a student and cannot afford those awesome directional antennas

    What would you guys recommend?

    PS here is the antenna I am looking at:

    http://www.otto.co.za/product/lte-7d...-base-antenna/

    The adapter I would need:

    http://www.otto.co.za/product/ts9-pl...emale-adaptor/

    Also my dongle has (2) TS9 connector plugs.

    Here is a link of the dongle that I am using:

    http://www.takealot.com/zte-usb-lte-modem/PLID40398688

  2. #2
    Afrihost representative AfriGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Afrihost HQ
    Posts
    13,666

    Default

    Hi

    Sounds like the areas coverage is OK, but signal quality isn't great. It could be due to a variety of factors.
    Have you submitted a coverage query to look into this?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfriGuy View Post
    Hi

    Sounds like the areas coverage is OK, but signal quality isn't great. It could be due to a variety of factors.
    Have you submitted a coverage query to look into this?
    Hey Afriguy
    I have in fact submitted a query an Afrihost call agent has already sent me the form I completed it and sent to him they then sent me an sms saying thank you for your query, that was when I had low signal but if you read my thread i said that they fixed the low signal issue but also altered the speed I was getting from the tower.

    That is why I am asking if I should maybe get a small antenna just to give it the boost it needs

    Regards
    Brandon Lee
    Last edited by syndicate1804; 03-11-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to say "Hi" lolol

  4. #4
    Afrihost representative AfriGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Afrihost HQ
    Posts
    13,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate1804 View Post
    Hey Afriguy
    I have in fact submitted a query an Afrihost call agent has already sent me the form I completed it and sent to him they then sent me an sms saying thank you for your query, that was when I had low signal but if you read my thread i said that they fixed the low signal issue but also altered the speed I was getting from the tower.

    That is why I am asking if I should maybe get a small antenna just to give it the boost it needs

    Regards
    Brandon Lee
    I did read your thread
    If there are still issues we'll need to log another coverage query - I've seen external antennas installed on your behalf.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfriGuy View Post
    I did read your thread
    If there are still issues we'll need to log another coverage query - I've seen external antennas installed on your behalf.
    Just an update I have received a phone call from an MTN technician saying that I have complained about my internet services Anyways he will be around to do some testing, but what happens after he does the testing?? Does he install a antenna or what?

    Regards
    Brandon Lee Kruger
    Last edited by syndicate1804; 04-11-2015 at 11:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    In a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    46

    Default

    The guy is only available during the week while I am at work or college

  7. #7
    Afrihost representative AfriGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Afrihost HQ
    Posts
    13,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syndicate1804 View Post
    The guy is only available during the week while I am at work or college

    Did you manage to get this sorted?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfriGuy View Post

    Did you manage to get this sorted?
    Hi Afriguy new profile xD sorry about reviving this post, I eventually got ADSL via Axxess.

  9. #9
    Afrihost Representative AfriMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rivonia, Johannesburg
    Posts
    14,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebowl View Post
    Hi Afriguy new profile xD sorry about reviving this post, I eventually got ADSL via Axxess.
    Glad you're connected now. Maybe you'll give our network a try too - it's free to try

    https://www.afrihost.com/landing/freegb/
    If AfriMan says it, it is so!

    If you asked an excellent question, please post on Answers!

  10. #10

    Default

    Can some Guru please advise me?

    As far as I know (And I stand corrected ) The signal strength is misleading as signal only displays a single band where as connections span across 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz,2000Mhz,2100Mhz on a single device( last I checked up ). So which signal is actually displayed on the screen as each frequency has its own penetration and footprint?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Can some Guru please advise me?

    As far as I know (And I stand corrected ) The signal strength is misleading as signal only displays a single band where as connections span across 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz,2000Mhz,2100Mhz on a single device( last I checked up ). So which signal is actually displayed on the screen as each frequency has its own penetration and footprint?
    From what I understand, your phone basically looks for the best signal on the current network, and then displays that signal.

    I think most of the cellular providers use overlapping frequencies.
    "Great Scott!"

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfriMan View Post
    Glad you're connected now. Maybe you'll give our network a try too - it's free to try

    https://www.afrihost.com/landing/freegb/
    Yeah I'm with Axxess at the moment and we stream about 400/600GB of content in a month see the pic attached, we on a 10Mbps premium account but I'd prefer a capped account. Name:  20171011_230108.png
Views: 34
Size:  57.3 KB

  13. #13
    Afrihost Representative AfriMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rivonia, Johannesburg
    Posts
    14,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebowl View Post
    Yeah I'm with Axxess at the moment and we stream about 400/600GB of content in a month see the pic attached, we on a 10Mbps premium account but I'd prefer a capped account. Name:  20171011_230108.png
Views: 34
Size:  57.3 KB
    Drop me a PM and I can offer you a discount on your first months data - that way you don't have to commit too much to give us a try (and remember you also get our double money back guarantee)
    If AfriMan says it, it is so!

    If you asked an excellent question, please post on Answers!

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Bad speeds with full signal
    By Nitrate in forum Afrihost Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 07:21 AM
  2. ADSL download speeds fluctuating. Can someone please offer advice...
    By marco85 in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 06:29 PM
  3. full HSPA signal why slow speeds? CellC bit off a toooo big piece?
    By R1ECKO in forum Cell C Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
  4. Full Signal - Weird speeds (Slow response)
    By saffakanera in forum Cell C Broadband and Mobile Internet | LTE, HSPA+, 3G, EDGE, GPRS and BIS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-01-2011, 09:37 PM
  5. Fluctuating ADSL Speeds
    By bobbybgg in forum ADSL and VDSL Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-09-2006, 07:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •