Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MTN Sim Activation

Default MTN Sim Activation

Hi there,

Today I got a new contract from MTN. I got the phone (Note 5) in my hands at 15.30. Until now 21.20 the SIM is not activated. It does not register to any networks. How long does it usually take to activate the SIM? I also don't know my number yet! Is there any way to find it without being able to call out?

Quote Originally Posted by PokerManiac View Post
    Hi there,

Today I got a new contract from MTN. I got the phone (Note 5) in my hands at 15.30. Until now 21.20 the SIM is not activated. It does not register to any networks. How long does it usually take to activate the SIM? I also don't know my number yet! Is there any way to find it without being able to call out?
    Sorry to say but it might only get activated on Monday. You got the phone delivered to you from MTN direct right? If so you can phone them tomorrow morning and ask to activate otherwise it will auto activate after the courier company confirms delivery and upload your rica docs then MTN will activate it.

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    Sorry to say but it might only get activated on Monday. You got the phone delivered to you from MTN direct right? If so you can phone them tomorrow morning and ask to activate otherwise it will auto activate after the courier company confirms delivery and upload your rica docs then MTN will activate it.
    I got it from a MTN shop

I have activate mine by sending a sms from the old phone, switch it off and few minutes later it was well. got it via google on mtn site.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertvv View Post
    I have activate mine by sending a sms from the old phone, switch it off and few minutes later it was well. got it via google on mtn site.
    How do I do that if I don't know my number? And where do I send a sms?

Please insert the new SIM card into your phone to check if it is activated. If the SIM card is not activated then please call 173 if you are a prepaid customer or 083 1808 if you are a contract customer and they will help you activate it. Thanks, have a lovely day!

please try this

Sorry for rehashing this old thread but I am now faced with the same problem of having a sim card on MTN contract that is not activated and I don't know what the cellphone number is. All the MTN menu options on their customer care numbers for 083 173 and 083 1808 wants to know this number and there is no option of speaking to a customer care agent. Please tell me how should I go about the activation of the sim card, thanks.

Nevermind, what worked for me was to remove the sim card from the slot after a few days and re-inserting it into the sim slot. The phone then received the MTN settings and was activated successfully.

+ Reply to Thread