Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excessive data usage with Telkom Mobile LTE

Best advice I can give since you don't seem very clued up on these things is to get a guy
    Or maybe a friend\family member who knows about about these things?

Either way, trying to put the blame on Telkom before you investigate in house is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
    Example if you gonna run a speed test your data does contribute towards that speed test. I run 3 speed test and 300 mega was gonna,if not more. Just monitor your usage , or create different SSID NAMES for all your devices to monitor the usage,every month reset your data usage on the router...
    Yikes, didn't know that speed tests were so data intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraC View Post
    Yikes, didn't know that speed tests were so data intensive.
    Well, speedtests have to keep your connection at max speed for a sustained period. The faster your line, the higher the usage.
    Googling the average is about 1.75MB/Mbps which conforms to my ~250MB usage on a 150Mbps speedtest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

Quote Originally Posted by PsYTraNc3 View Post
    Best advice I can give since you don't seem very clued up on these things is to get a guy
    Or maybe a friend\family member who knows about about these things?

Either way, trying to put the blame on Telkom before you investigate in house is a no go.
    + 1 Very good advice. Got the feeling "someone" is "eating" up your data.

Default Telkom LTE highly unacceptable high data usage

Dear MJSmithSA,

your story is almost identical to mine.
    I wander how you resolved the problem. Did you really use all the data billed?
    Where from here ? Do I have to pay top ups on a regular basis ?
    Thanks for clearly describe the problem with Telkom LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by MJSmithSA View Post
    I find it highly unacceptable that high data usage occurs with Telkom LTE, without reasonable explanation/proof!

This is not the first time I hear this! Similar feedback from other new LTE customers reported to me as well after making my issue known...

My Story:
    I wanted to upgrade from a "Slow 2Mb ADSL" connection and was advised by a Telkom Mobile agent (Telkom Direct store) to go the new faster LTE route. As I previously had a 10+10Gb ADSL line and hardly ever exceeded my monthly cap, I opted for the 20Gb/month LTE contract (comparable cost). Within the 1st 10-days of my activation the 20Gb cap was reached!!! #$%^@*! Obviously I had to "Top-up" at the "More-expensive" Mobile data rates to ensure continued connectivity. Thinking this was probably a once-off due to setup, this was not the case. In month two the same happened to which I realized that there is a problem, This was NEVER the case with my ADSL line and I have never used 20Gb/month before!! How could this happen?

I requested a breakdown of my usage to try and determine what caused this massive increase in usage, but was told detailed usage indication is impossible. I asked if I could revert back to fixed ADSL instead of LTE and told: "No, the Telkom Mobile and Telkom-ADSL services are separate and that I'll need to cancel my LTE contract with full penalties due on the two year contract! %$#@*&!? It was then suggested that I upgrade my 20Gb/month capping to a 50Gb/month LTE contract at R699/month. Firstly I could not do this in month two and had to wait out a 3-month contract probation period before I could upgrade!!!! %$#@*&!? After having to Top-up in month three AGAIN, I finally upgraded to the 50Gb/month LTE from day-1 of month four. NEEDLESS TO SAY - I AGAIN REACHED THE 50Gb/Month cap on day 25 of the month and again almost every month after that between days 20 to 28!!! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE - I CANNOT BE USING 50GB in 20-days EVERY [email protected]#$#%^&*#@$!?

I do NOT EVEN do any TV Streaming. Yes, we play some Sony-PS3 games and use internet, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have Apple I-tunes with six devices connected, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have two PC's connected, one laptop and one Desktop with Windows and Anti-Virus updates (now scheduled for a/h 00h00-07h00 updates) but surely still not 50Gb EVERY MONTH!? This is ridiculous!!!

I even went as far as increasing Wi-fi connectivity security with specific device IP/Mac address access only allowed, to ensure no hacking. But still the excessive usage continues month-after-month - COSTING ME DEARLY!! NOU IS EK GATVOL!

To make matters even worse now, from time to time a low/slow connection occurs and the intended High-speed for LTE is not achieved. Thus a "Reliable connection" is also not achieved anymore. Connectivity is even lost and resetting the LTE router is becoming "old-news" now. Simply not a viable/acceptable solution as suggested by Telkom support agents anymore!!!? $%^&&*[email protected]#$*!?

When phoning Telkom Mobile support 10210 from home, I get the following responses:
    1. Oh you will naturally be using "more data with LTE" because of the faster upload-/download speeds being achieved with LTE (Updates, etc.). This is "Normal". WTF!?
    2. Sorry - our systems are down, please try phoning back later for support...
    3. Service agents not available after hours, please phone during business hours.
    4. As my area is on the "Edge" of the LTE-coverage area, I may lose connectivity from time to time. [This is ridiculous and unacceptable - My area is indicated as covered on the LTE map]

The irony is that I am inadvertently binded to a two-year agreement, with cancellation penalties. Telkom does not want to "Budge" in allowing me back to "fixed-line-ADSL" with Telkom, without penalties, and still cannot prove to me what is using up my 50Gb/month LTE data every month, nor what is causing a reduction in quality of service or connection.

I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing the same "High data usage" with Telkom Mobile LTE?? I am starting to think this is a "billing issue" and not a "usage issue". How does one stop/control this?

Please suggest ways for me to monitor data traffic usage and log connectivity? Surely Telkom should supply this service as proof of what specifically is being used by each LTE client and what quality of service is available on site!?

Hi All, I have just read all your comments and I have to agree with MrSmithSA.
    I have been a gamer for 15 years on pc and you tend to pic up how to track your Internet and network usage over this time. This Telkom LTE Internet definetly seems to use data without your pc utilizing it. I plug in one pc with cable to it. Have absolutely nothing running and it shows on the meter of the Router that its slowly but surely using small amounts of data. So leaving the device on over night would accumulate all these tiny bits of data usage and deplete your cap. So the solution is pull the power out of that Lte Router when you are not using it. Havent used up my cap since.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
    Hi All, I have just read all your comments and I have to agree with MrSmithSA.
    I have been a gamer for 15 years on pc and you tend to pic up how to track your Internet and network usage over this time. This Telkom LTE Internet definetly seems to use data without your pc utilizing it. I plug in one pc with cable to it. Have absolutely nothing running and it shows on the meter of the Router that its slowly but surely using small amounts of data. So leaving the device on over night would accumulate all these tiny bits of data usage and deplete your cap. So the solution is pull the power out of that Lte Router when you are not using it. Havent used up my cap since.
    It is possible on unrestricted apn. You are billed for all incoming packets requested or not (which are normally blocked on ISP servers. Incoming traffic hits your router and the router respond to various requests from outside world (like WAN broadcast, ping). Once the router responds, it is bombarded with further requests on different ports, some WAN ports are open by default, other are being opened dynamically based on requests from the LAN. You can disable response to the WAN ping in order to hide your presence, close unsused TCP/UDP ports, disable management access from the WAN side (I remember B683 had it enabled by default) and increase firewall security level. On B315s it is called Cone (default) type vs. Symmetric firewall. On your B593 if my memory serve me well it is probably called 'strict' settings or something like that. If you increase firewall security it can affect some games, you will have to manually define firewall rules for each game.
    Last edited by sajunky; 23-10-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Default Disappearing data

I'm on an LTE uncapped contract and I'm told that I can use up to 300g/month , after which FUP throttling kicks in.
    Apart from regular usage, WhatsApp, Facebook, emails and some online gaming, I use the bandwidth on video streaming.
    Now I'm led to believe that at 720, the data usage is about 800mb/hour.
    At best, perhaps we watch 3 hrs/day...yet by the 20th of the month...WHAM....300GB used up????
    Now I'm no mathematical genius, but this doesn't seem to add up to me....15G/day????.....
    Something stinks.

How exactly can I monitor my data usage? Is there any way I can determine which connection is using up the data? My TV?..My son's computer, my tablet?
    Bearing in mind I'm technically inept, I would really appreciate a step by step way to set up a monitoring system on my router. Using a Huawei B315s- 936 on a Telkom uncapped LTE package....
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

dd-wrt router with Yamon3 installed on the router , B315 is crap for anything other than being a modem, setup DMZ to the DD-wrt behind it , and do all monitoring and setup on the dd-wrt router.

50GB a month is only 1.6GB per day or roughly 66MB per hour. An effective download speed of only 146kbits/sec 24/7.

2Mbps ADSL has an upload speed of 512kbps. LTE can go up to 10Mbps+

Everything you do on a high speed connection will automatically use up all the available speed e.g. a webpage with an embedded video will stream and play at HD quality and download the entire video in just seconds before you have even had time to stop it. Youtube videos will cache in seconds and eat up 100MB in no time. Just do this 16 times a day and you are at 50GB per month or more.

The 2Mbps ADSL connection is much much slower, so webpages, videos etc can't chew up your data in seconds before you have time to close the page or click a link. Videos will default to low quality and take a long time to buffer, so you will probably close the video quickly and realise it is not what you want before it downloads entirely.

Maybe switch your router to 3G only and then speeds will be much lower.

That said, I am quite a heavy user of videos etc. and I do not go over 30GB per month. But I have made double sure that nothing updates without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by MJSmithSA View Post
    I find it highly unacceptable that high data usage occurs with Telkom LTE, without reasonable explanation/proof!

This is not the first time I hear this! Similar feedback from other new LTE customers reported to me as well after making my issue known...

My Story:
    I wanted to upgrade from a "Slow 2Mb ADSL" connection and was advised by a Telkom Mobile agent (Telkom Direct store) to go the new faster LTE route. As I previously had a 10+10Gb ADSL line and hardly ever exceeded my monthly cap, I opted for the 20Gb/month LTE contract (comparable cost). Within the 1st 10-days of my activation the 20Gb cap was reached!!! #$%^@*! Obviously I had to "Top-up" at the "More-expensive" Mobile data rates to ensure continued connectivity. Thinking this was probably a once-off due to setup, this was not the case. In month two the same happened to which I realized that there is a problem, This was NEVER the case with my ADSL line and I have never used 20Gb/month before!! How could this happen?

I requested a breakdown of my usage to try and determine what caused this massive increase in usage, but was told detailed usage indication is impossible. I asked if I could revert back to fixed ADSL instead of LTE and told: "No, the Telkom Mobile and Telkom-ADSL services are separate and that I'll need to cancel my LTE contract with full penalties due on the two year contract! %$#@*&!? It was then suggested that I upgrade my 20Gb/month capping to a 50Gb/month LTE contract at R699/month. Firstly I could not do this in month two and had to wait out a 3-month contract probation period before I could upgrade!!!! %$#@*&!? After having to Top-up in month three AGAIN, I finally upgraded to the 50Gb/month LTE from day-1 of month four. NEEDLESS TO SAY - I AGAIN REACHED THE 50Gb/Month cap on day 25 of the month and again almost every month after that between days 20 to 28!!! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE - I CANNOT BE USING 50GB in 20-days EVERY [email protected]#$#%^&*#@$!?

I do NOT EVEN do any TV Streaming. Yes, we play some Sony-PS3 games and use internet, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have Apple I-tunes with six devices connected, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have two PC's connected, one laptop and one Desktop with Windows and Anti-Virus updates (now scheduled for a/h 00h00-07h00 updates) but surely still not 50Gb EVERY MONTH!? This is ridiculous!!!

I even went as far as increasing Wi-fi connectivity security with specific device IP/Mac address access only allowed, to ensure no hacking. But still the excessive usage continues month-after-month - COSTING ME DEARLY!! NOU IS EK GATVOL!

To make matters even worse now, from time to time a low/slow connection occurs and the intended High-speed for LTE is not achieved. Thus a "Reliable connection" is also not achieved anymore. Connectivity is even lost and resetting the LTE router is becoming "old-news" now. Simply not a viable/acceptable solution as suggested by Telkom support agents anymore!!!? $%^&&*[email protected]#$*!?

When phoning Telkom Mobile support 10210 from home, I get the following responses:
    1. Oh you will naturally be using "more data with LTE" because of the faster upload-/download speeds being achieved with LTE (Updates, etc.). This is "Normal". WTF!?
    2. Sorry - our systems are down, please try phoning back later for support...
    3. Service agents not available after hours, please phone during business hours.
    4. As my area is on the "Edge" of the LTE-coverage area, I may lose connectivity from time to time. [This is ridiculous and unacceptable - My area is indicated as covered on the LTE map]

The irony is that I am inadvertently binded to a two-year agreement, with cancellation penalties. Telkom does not want to "Budge" in allowing me back to "fixed-line-ADSL" with Telkom, without penalties, and still cannot prove to me what is using up my 50Gb/month LTE data every month, nor what is causing a reduction in quality of service or connection.

I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing the same "High data usage" with Telkom Mobile LTE?? I am starting to think this is a "billing issue" and not a "usage issue". How does one stop/control this?

Please suggest ways for me to monitor data traffic usage and log connectivity? Surely Telkom should supply this service as proof of what specifically is being used by each LTE client and what quality of service is available on site!?
    Depleting Data bundles with Telkom Mobile but cannot supply proof of usage
    1. This bad experience with Telkom started about 3 weeks ago when all of a sudden we were running out of data 3 times in a row, this has never happened for the past year roughly.

2. After the 3rd time running out of data which was on Friday 28 July 2017 I started investigating with Telkom Mobile via the phone.

3. What a bad bad experience every time, they obviously do not have enough agents to answer the calls. You hang on listening to these most irritating options, when one eventually get through to ask to talk to an agent you wait for everything from 5 to 10 minutes which feels like hours. That is if your call does not get cut off.

4. I had 3 interactions with Telkom since Saturday morning. I received 2 reference numbers of my problems been logged.

4.1 Ref 21046229 was for me not being able to register on their online system as I was so frustrated with their phone-in system that stinks.

4.2 I received a 2nd reference, 21046315 telling me that the first reference was closed ... with no resolve and that I have to wait 72 hours to be sorted out on why I cannot activate my account on their website. Now this is bad bad service again. Obviously they don't need customers. I will have to wait from Saturday morning until Thursday this week to get an account opened on their website hahah it is a joke.

5. The agents were polite everytime, it is just Telkom's systems that is useless and 20 years behind all other companies, I have contracts with MTN and Vodacom, so I can compare.

6. I asked for proof by Telkom to show what happend to my last extra bundle of 5gb I bought on 26 Jule at 08h13 and that got depleted by 28 July by all indications.

7. I received a sumarised usage report from one of the aganets which aded up to only 1,4gb. that was Saturday morning. I got this usage report via email from Aphiwe Ghanya , she could not explain the disconnect between 5gb bought on 26 July and usage up to 28 july that only shows 1,4gb.

8. I did the same exercise with the same phone-in frustrations in the afternoon on Saturday, this time Gugulethu Mbatha assisted me and send me a more detailed extraction of my usage but I got the same result, it does not show where and when my 5gb extra bundle was depleted, can only show 1,4gb.

9. the above lady suggested I phone in again to allow the system to update, I did that and phoned in this morning. Monday 31 july, same frustrations to wait for someone to answer, and this time they are NOT allowed to provide me with the information that I have received twice allready over the weekend. Hahah what a joke, I have two emails and the extracts of my usage on my Outlook. Now I must wait up to 3rd of August to get the information for some or other weak reason.

10. My contract expires 28 Feb 2018 with Telkom Mobile, I will definitely not renew my contract, I am tired to struggle with Telkom Mobile and recommend strongly that potential new customers take note of my frustration.

11. I run a business form home as do my wife and both of us are dependent on internet connection as we send receive stacks of emails daily. My saving grace is a 500mb Vodacom usb backup modem I have used since Friday, and my wife is using her MTN data on her phone to send and receive her emails.

I trust this will receive the necessary attention and urgency

TELKOM mailbox full no wonder it is full, see response to my above email below

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
    The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept new messages at this stage. Message therefore not delivered. Please try resending this message later. [Telkom SA SOC Limited. Registration nr : 1991/005476/30]

@mvdm
    Android and iOS have a data tracker built in. Get a tracker on all Windows devices as well and check. W10 also has a tracker built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6723240596

Default suggestion to change antivirus

"1. Yes, I do daily automated AVG full PC scans, but once again a/h during the additional +50Gb Night-surfer period. (I will disable also)"

From my experience AVG - whether free or paid version - is not able to block all malware successfully. I suggest that you remove AVG and install Avast (either free or paid version). I suppose many subscribers would not agree with me but I have used Avast for many years on both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro as well as the 50 GB LTE and 20 GB LTE packages without any excessive data usage that I couldn't account for. I recently upgraded to LTE uncapped from the 20 GB package due to the nature of my new business. Therefore uncapped is a more economical solution. Hopefully you might decide to try Avast and see the end to your woes. Looking forward to your feedback.

PsYTranNc3: Not sure, but according to me, none of the above...
    1. Yes, I do daily automated AVG full PC scans, but once again a/h during the additional +50Gb Night-surfer period. (I will disable also)
    2. I have not installed any bandwidth monitors, but will do so now. Most definitely. Which could you recommend?
    3. What is a "Torrent"??? :-)
    4. How do I log into the router to check usage there?
    I log into the Telkom Portal (almost daily) and simply check and record the status of "already used bandwidth" balance - but that is a "passive - after the fact" status. No indication of what activity is taking place... E.g. You-tube download, Windows update, I-Tunes update, or any device specific activity. What is possible for most insight into which activity is using up most bandwidth???

Effectively I have 100Gb per month, being 50Gb normal + 50Gb Night-surfer between 00hh00 and 07h00

I really cannot understand how such High download volumes are possible? To where is what downloaded all the time at an average of 2Gb per day? I don't even have that much storage on my PC Harddrive? According to me must be something wrong...

Any suggestions will be welcomed and tried. With feedback given...[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12