Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
    Are you running the standard version? i.e. not mini or micro.
    Standard, yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Do you mean you are having problems connecting to your network from the outside (incoming connections), or that the basic traffic splitting operations aren't working.

I have not yet resolved the problems I was having surrounding VPN, Webservers and Dynmaic DNS, etc. I'm currently installing IP cameras at my home and I need to overcome this problem very soon. (My end of year project) I just hope I can get it all working while still enjoying the traffic splitting. But I should have pointed out that this script is more an effiicienvy and flexibility upgrade rather than a resolution of the "Big One."

If it is that you are having problem with the basic traffic splitting, this may help:

Did you comment out the auxilary connection?
    Did you reboot the router after installing the scripts?
    Are usernames/passwords correct?

In the DD-WRT GUI command box...

Does running "ifconfig" show two ppp interfaces?
    Does running "route -n" show +-1000 routes?

One thing you can try is putting a "sleep n" command between the connection commands, where n is the delay in seconds between making each connection. Start with something like "sleep 30" and see if it makes a difference.

I will also double-check that the script I have posted is error-free, and is identical to the one that is working extremely well on my PC.
    Hi GC

thanks... I thought that the firewall script is now sorting out the incoming connection thing... anyway the normal traffic splitting is working fine for me no problem there... it is only on the incoming.

thanks.

Super Grandmaster mancombseepgood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just going to say this again - this is a brilliant script GC - I seriously think there is room for this on the international scene and it needs to be shared - least cost routing is becoming more popular all over - even the states.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree! This script is saving me a lot of money every month!

An idea - what are the chances of making this work on the OpenWRT firmware, and using their Web Interface utillities (webif) to create a front-end?

(I understand that DD-WRT's web interface is encrypted, and one cannot make changes to it... - because of this, there are some information on the Web with people complaining that it is no longer an opensource project. I love the DD-WRT firmware, but if another firmware gives one more flexibility...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice ideas cshutte, we just need to find a way to fund this project and I'm sure GC will have the time

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradbowlllama View Post
    Nice ideas cshutte, we just need to find a way to fund this project and I'm sure GC will have the time
    Time is a scarcer resource than funding.

I enjoy working on this script.. in a masochistic sort of way. I was working on the firewall last night and only got to bed at 6.30am. Trial and error. I'm a wreck today. I think I've made some progress, but still haven't cracked the crucial problem with incoming connections.

I can't see that it would too difficult to move the script to OpenWRT. There is nothing in the script that is unique to DD-WRT. The most critical requirement is the rp-pppoe package, which seems to have been dropped or poorly supported in DD-WRT releases beyond Ver23 sp 2 anyway.

Creating a nice GUI interface to set up the traffic splitting accounts, together with supporting status/stats does sound rather nice.

One step at a time. Unfortunately, with Telkom dishing out those Mega routers, the number of Linksys WRT owners locally is rather limited.

Overseas, most splitting is done for load balancing/ least cost routing in a multi-wan environment, rather than a single WAN using multiple pppoe connections. So I think international demand is also likely to be muted.

But I'll continue to develop this, one step at a time. And if I'm unable to resolve the outstanding issues, I'll look into OpenWRT.

Without this script, I know I would be spending a fortune on an a throttled-and-shaped-to-death uncapped account. It's reward enough.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've pretty much exhausted my attempts to get incoming connections to work with multiple pppoe on dd-wrt. Basically, they don't. The packets hit the firewall, can be seen going through the nat prerouting chain, but fail to arrive in the filter forward chain. Totally bizarre behaviour. I've posted a query on the dd-wrt forum.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24491

I hope I get some helpful response, because I'm out of ideas. If nothing comes of it, I'll have to conclude that there is a major bug in dd-wrt and look at implementing the script in OpenWRT.

However, in attempting to get source routing working I've added a lot of unnecessary code to the script over time. I've found that removing much of it, things work far more efficiently. I'll post an updated script soon.

EDIT: Update... One interesting thing: I've got the script working on DD-WRT Ver 24 rc 5, the latest release candidate. Seems rp-pppoe is now standard in dd-wrt, but now running in kernel mode...
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 19-12-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a flash of inspiration (marking the packets coming out of the servers), and I have finally got incoming connections working well now on Ver 23 sp2. Needs some more testing but a new script is coming soon. I've split the functionality of the script into two. If you need outgoing connections only you can just use the start-up script. If you want incoming connections (ie you are hosting web servers, ip cameras etc ) you must use the firewall script too. The firewall script is used in conjunction with the router's SPI firewall, rather than replacing it.

Found DD-WRT Ver 24 rc 5 to be somewhat unstable, but a slightly modified script also worked well for both outgoing and incoming connections. It bodes well for when DD-WRT Ver 24 (stable) is finally released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Had a flash of inspiration (marking the packets coming out of the servers), and I have finally got incoming connections working well now on Ver 23 sp2. Needs some more testing but a new script is coming soon. I've split the functionality of the script into two. If you need outgoing connections only you can just use the start-up script. If you want incoming connections (ie you are hosting web servers, ip cameras etc ) you must use the firewall script too. The firewall script is used in conjunction with the router's SPI firewall, rather than replacing it.

Found DD-WRT Ver 24 rc 5 to be somewhat unstable, but a slightly modified script also worked well for both outgoing and incoming connections. It bodes well for when DD-WRT Ver 24 (stable) is finally released.
    This is great news... can't wait to test it.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For DD-WRT VER 23 SP 2.

Startup script:

http://formstar.net/gatecrasher/_start_up_9a.txt

The start-up script is more efficient than before since all source routing elements have been removed to the firewall script. Unless you require incoming connections, it will do the job of traffic splitting very well.

See my previous posting for configuration details.

Firewall script (Only useful if you have web server, ip camere, or require other incoming connections, ie being reachable in a torrent cleint)

http://formstar.net/gatecrasher/_firewall_9a.txt

The limitation is that you must assign a unique connection to each unique protocol, port and local IP address combination. Although it would be ideal for the script to intelligently send incoming connections out of the interface they came in on regardless of the interface, I haven't yet found a solution to that problem. But if you assign the service to a specific interface, problem solved.

The firewall script requires that you provide details of your web servers. This is like setting up port forwarding in the GUI, except that you also need to decide which connection to use, 0, 1 ,2 etc. The script works alongside the SPI firewall in the router, rather than replace it.

You will need to edit this section:

Code:
    #incoming connections: protocol, port, server, ppp interface
    echo "tcp,xxx,192.168.xxx.xxx.,x
    upd,xxx,192.168.xxx.xxx,x" >/tmp/servers.txt
    For example if you have a web server using tcp port 8080 on 192.168.1.2 and you want this accessible from your international ddns ip (connection 0), you create servers.txt as follows:

Code:
    echo "tcp,8080,192.168.1.2,0" >/tmp/servers.txt
    Adding an ip camera (port 91, local ip 192.168.1.21) on connection 2 (which requires several streams), would look something like this:

Code:
    #incoming connections: protocol, port, server, ppp interface
    echo "tcp,8080,192.168.1.2,0
    tcp,91,192.168.1.21,2
    tcp,5021,192.168.1.21,2
    tcp,5071,192.168.1.21,2
    udp,5071,192.168.1.21,2
    tcp,5121,192.168.1.21,2" >/tmp/servers.txt
    Formatting rules: Put each entry on a separate line. Separate fields with commas, leave no spaces between values.

If you don't know what to enter in this section, chances are you don't need to use the firewall script at all.

Once you've pasted and saved the script(s) in the GUI, reboot the router.

Hope it all works well for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will surely be giving this a go over the weekend. Thanks.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks GC - working fine for me (am not using incoming connections, so without firewall)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

this is working brilliantly so far. I've testing incoming connections and it is working without any problems so far. I'm busy doing some more tested from a few international and local servers but I'm glad to say that congrats is in order.

I think you can be very pleased with yourselve on this new script.

And thanks for sharing this with us. I really appreciate it.

Pieter

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradbowlllama View Post
    Just a stupid noob question - do I put the Firewall script below the startup script and save as startup?
    TX!
    Enter the firewall script into the "Commands" box, then click "Save firewall", rather than "Save startup".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlackCollective View Post
    Enter the firewall script into the "Commands" box, then click "Save firewall", rather than "Save startup".
    Thanks m8!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast