Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

The larger versions don't run on the V5 & V6 routers, not enough memory.

It is also possible to schedule an automatic reboot on the routers in the DD-WRT firmware so I may do this to keep things running smoothly for the time being.

JohnB

The fix was relatively painless. The entire script is written to /tmp and then run as a background process, passing control back to the router. No more zombies, and all the services are functioning normally.

I've updated the script here.

Update:

Most local accounts are IS based which, with the local routing, would deny you access to SAIX's smtp server and SAIX's news server. So both of these have now been routed to the international account.

I'm thinking of adding additional pppoe connections to allow for:
    A gaming account (unshaped) to specified game servers.
    A local SAIX account, expressly for SAIX smtp and SAIX news, but acting as local if no IS account is specified.

Worth it? Any demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Update:

Most local accounts are IS based which, with the local routing, would deny you access to SAIX's smtp server and SAIX's news server. So both of these have now been routed to the international account.

A local SAIX account, expressly for SAIX smtp and SAIX news, but acting as local if no IS account is specified.

Worth it? Any demand?
    You're on to something big here Gatecrasher - we need to figure out how to release this as a bin for intl. use - I'm sure we're not the only people to find it useful...
    I'd relly like to see if we can get this into the GUI front end - if nothing else, just some txt in the help.
    THanks ALOT for the u/date!

Default Thanks and 2 questions

Update:

Worth it? Any demand?
    Hi Gatecrasher. Thanks for all your effort in the matter of setting up this script for routing traffic. I appreciate it. I have been using it for about 3 days now and it is working perfectly so far. I just have a question or 2 though. Firstly, from your post I could not with certainty ascertain whether you have now already implemented the international routing for use with the SAIX News server and SMTP server or whether you still plan on doing it seeing as the page with the script does not say that you updated it. If you could clarify that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Secondly, I have 2 accounts, one shaped SAIX international and one IS local. This might seem a noobish question, but let's say that you have now enabled the routing that allows those with local IS accounts to access the SAIX News server, then I am guessing that any downloads from the SAIX News server will go over international bandwidth and not over the IS local account for me right? IE: I am hoping that the international routing just gives you access to the SAIX News server (via your IP with SAIX), but then the downloads still go over the local account seeing as how the SAIX News server (196.43.2.61) is hosted locally. I am guessing I am wrong and it's to good to be true, but would just like confirmation from you. Thanks again.
    Last edited by pl1982; 29-07-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pl1982 View Post
    Hi Gatecrasher. Thanks for all your effort in the matter of setting up this script for routing traffic. I appreciate it. I have been using it for about 3 days now and it is working perfectly so far. I just have a question or 2 though. Firstly, from your post I could not with certainty ascertain whether you have now already implemented the international routing for use with the SAIX News server and SMTP server or whether you still plan on doing it seeing as the page with the script does not say that you updated it. If you could clarify that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Secondly, I have 2 accounts, one shaped SAIX international and one IS local. This might seem a noobish question, but let's say that you have now enabled the routing that allows those with local IS accounts to access the SAIX News server, then I am guessing that any downloads from the SAIX News server will go over international bandwidth and not over the IS local account for me right? IE: I am hoping that the international routing just gives you access to the SAIX News server (via your IP with SAIX), but then the downloads still go over the local account seeing as how the SAIX News server (196.43.2.61) is hosted locally. I am guessing I am wrong and it's to good to be true, but would just like confirmation from you. Thanks again.
    I don't believe it's possible to d/l from SAIX news server with an IS account full stop.. the SAIX traffic will go over the international account AFAIK.

I have already implemented the update here..

Sadly, SAIX smtp and news is only accessible from your international account.

I've used the SAIX news server this weekend. It is light years faster than IS for non-cached content. It is so good that I'm tempted to buy a SAIX local account (@ R19/Gb) for the sole purpose. If I do, though, I would like it set up as a 3rd pppoe connection.

I've also seen many people ask whether they can split out their (expensive) unshaped gaming traffic from their regular internet usage. So I am thinking of incorporating something that can achieve this too.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 29-07-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by groundnut View Post
    You're on to something big here Gatecrasher - we need to figure out how to release this as a bin for intl. use - I'm sure we're not the only people to find it useful...
    I'd relly like to see if we can get this into the GUI front end - if nothing else, just some txt in the help.
    THanks ALOT for the u/date!
    When I was researching, I found a few international people looking for a similar solution, but generally overseas ADSL services don't require all this fiddling about. You pay a flat fee and you can use them for everything.

I think when the script has developed as far as it can, I may look into converting it into a plug-in binary. Not sure I have sufficient inclination yet.

One annoying (not fatal) problem I have found is with upnp. It always links itself with the last ppp dialed, which is a problem when local disconnects and reconnects. p2p clients then report a firewall and speeds drop noticeably. Unfortunately I haven't managed to find documentation on the upnp app in dd-wrt. One quick and nasty solution is take down both accounts when local disconnects, and start all over again. But getting upnp to behave better seems a far better solution.

I have already implemented the update here..

Sadly, SAIX smtp and news is only accessible from your international account.

I've used the SAIX news server this weekend. It is light years faster than IS for non-cached content. It is so good that I'm tempted to buy a SAIX local account (@ R19/Gb) for the sole purpose. If I do, though, I would like it set up as a 3rd pppoe connection.

I've also seen many people ask whether they can split out their (expensive) unshaped gaming traffic from their regular internet usage. So I am thinking of incorporating something that can achieve this too.
    Hi again. Thanks for the update. The SAIX News server (they recently started syncing with Giganews as well I believe) seems much better yes, from the reports I have been getting and personal experience. I just wonder though - seeing as how not that many people are downloading from the SAIX News server (IS local bandwidth is still quite a bit cheaper), the speeds are still good, but as more and more people get on there, SAIX might start gimping the server like IS did gradually and caching might start coming in.

Just another question if I may Gatecrasher. Let's say I get a local SAIX account now and replace my local IS account with it. Then I will have a shaped international and a local SAIX account for access to the SAIX News server. How will your script function then after this new update? Will it then correctly route the local SAIX account for usage with the SAIX News server or will it then still use the international one to connect to the SAIX News server and thus the expensive international bandwidth? Thanks again for the patience and time to answer my questions.

Hi again. Thanks for the update. The SAIX News server (they recently started syncing with Giganews as well I believe) seems much better yes, from the reports I have been getting and personal experience. I just wonder though - seeing as how not that many people are downloading from the SAIX News server (IS local bandwidth is still quite a bit cheaper), the speeds are still good, but as more and more people get on there, SAIX might start gimping the server like IS did gradually and caching might start coming in.
    R19/gb on SAIX vs R2/gb on IS is still a large disincentive to using the SAIX newserver. I don't think anyone is going to use it to the same extent as IS. But you can at least update newsgroups on the fly. With IS you can wait hours while it crawls...

Just another question if I may Gatecrasher. Let's say I get a local SAIX account now and replace my local IS account with it. Then I will have a shaped international and a local SAIX account for access to the SAIX News server. How will your script function then after this new update? Will it then correctly route the local SAIX account for usage with the SAIX News server or will it then still use the international one to connect to the SAIX News server and thus the expensive international bandwidth? Thanks again for the patience and time to answer my questions.
    That's another good reason to incorporate SAIX local and gaming accounts into the script. If you used a SAIX local account with the existing script, you would have to remove these three lines

Code:
                              # add SAIX mail and news to intl
                              /sbin/route add -host 196.25.240.94 ppp1
                              /sbin/route add -host 196.43.2.61 ppp1
    BTW: Which router model and version are you using?

R19/gb on SAIX vs R2/gb on IS is still a large disincentive to using the SAIX newserver. I don't think anyone is going to use it to the same extent as IS. But you can at least update newsgroups on the fly. With IS you can wait hours while it crawls...

That's another good reason to incorporate SAIX local and gaming accounts into the script. If you used a SAIX local account with the existing script, you would have to remove these three lines

Code:
                              # add SAIX mail and news to intl
                              /sbin/route add -host 196.25.240.94 ppp1
                              /sbin/route add -host 196.43.2.61 ppp1
    BTW: Which router model and version are you using?
    Thanks again for the update. Buying a SAIX local account for access to the SAIX News server is indeed quite tempting. It's very cool what you have done and I think you should go on with it. Perhaps add that extra facility for the third pppoe (SAIX local, etc). I don't know to much about programming, so I can't really gauge how difficult all of this is, but thanks again for your effort thus far.

Even as it is though, the script and router achieves efficiently that which for many is quite a convoluted mess of setups so as to cater for our sad situation here in SA. I will keep testing it and give any feedback you may require. My model says this: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS. Not sure if that is helping... My version says: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) vpn - build 3932. Thanks again.

My model says this: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS. Not sure if that is helping...
    You have to look under the router for the model number. I'm just trying to see if anyone using version 5 or 6 are running the script successfully.

You have to look under the router for the model number. I'm just trying to see if anyone using version 5 or 6 are running the script successfully.
    Ah yes of course. OK, it seems as if I have version 1.1 of the router. Everything seems to work fine here though, even the white and amber LEDs and DMZ LED. So far I have had no issues with it, as I mentioned before and have been running it for about 3 days now. I will keep you posted though if anything pops up that seems to be a problem.

If want to use multiple local-only accounts efficiently (i.e. route to different SA ISP networks via best local account for speed or cost) you're going to need to know which routes belong to whom. Luckily with a bit of detective work its not too difficult ...

Figure out the ASN (Autonomous System Number) for each SA ISP. Think of the ASN as route grouping index for each ISP. An updated list of ASN allocated in Africa (from Afrinic) can be found here ... http://version6.net/lg/db/as-afrinic.txt ... your only interested in the ones ending in ZA.

Then use a route server to lookup the current live routes belonging to that ASN. IS's one does the job pretty well ... telnet public-route-server.is.co.za

So lets say you want to know all the live routes on the following networks (the number before the $ at the end is the ASN as per the list above) ...

For IS type: sh ip bgp regexp 3741$
    For SAIX type: sh ip bgp regexp 5713$
    For Verizon type: sh ip bgp regexp 2905$
    For iBurst type: sh ip bgp regexp 33762$

and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nux
    Oh,what a day...what a lovely day!

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    If want to use multiple local-only accounts efficiently (i.e. route to different SA ISP networks via best local account for speed or cost) you're going to need to know which routes belong to whom. Luckily with a bit of detective work its not too difficult ...
    That's really interesting, and very useful if someone is looking for the fastest routes.

But isn't it overkill if you just want traffic routed via the cheapest ISP account? Even if SAIX local is faster on some routes than IS local, you wouldn't want to be paying 10 times as much per byte just to save a few milliseconds of latency.

Or have I missed the point?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast