Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to get a SAIX local account, simply because I don't need much more than 3-4GB for my local (it only consists of myadsl, a few other sites and some RPG low bandwith gaming) and so it will be cheaper and faster. Whats left will go towards anything I might want from the newsserver, and I don't expect this to be much so a faster newsserver suits me better.

The only point you could miss is that not everyone wants to download gigs all month on the IS server mostly at 10kB/s.

In any case, I see it will be easy to allow a SAIX local account to access the newsserver. Just so you know.. SAIX local accounts can't actually use the SAIX SMTP servers.

"Excluded from the ADSL Local Only service:
    1) SMTP Servers - Customers will not be able to relay e-mail via any SAIX SMTP server.
    2) Cache Servers - Customers will not be able to use any SAIX Cache (Proxy) servers."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    But isn't it overkill if you just want traffic routed via the cheapest ISP account? Even if SAIX local is faster on some routes than IS local, you wouldn't want to be paying 10 times as much per byte just to save a few milliseconds of latency.

Or have I missed the point?
    I suppose it is a bit overboard for most, but there is nothing more frustrating than trying access something through a sluggish congested peering link between ISPs.

This way you can choose which way to steer access to any ISP in SA (e.g. is Verizon faster through IS local or SAIX local).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nux
    Oh,what a day...what a lovely day!

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekhaatvensters View Post
    In any case, I see it will be easy to allow a SAIX local account to access the newsserver. Just so you know.. SAIX local accounts can't actually use the SAIX SMTP servers.
    That's a good point. WebAfrica need to update their SAIX local only page!

Super Grandmaster mancombseepgood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    I suppose it is a bit overboard for most, but there is nothing more frustrating than trying access something through a sluggish congested peering link between ISPs.

This way you can choose which way to steer access to any ISP in SA (e.g. is Verizon faster through IS local or SAIX local).
    On that note, Myadsl sometimes doesn't work on IS local - not often, but occasionally. Either way, I would rather still do Myadsl over the cheaper a/c (of course different strokes for different folks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work! I implemented it last night on my WRT54G without a problem, and it has been working without a problem for 12 hours now.

The following comments:
    DDNS:
    I use DDNS on DynDNS.org. The router now links the ip of the international account (ppp1) to the DynDNS url. Since I use this only for local access, how can one ensure that the ip of ppp0 is rather used?

DNS:
    I struggled to set up DNS properly. It seems the DNS servers are not correctly setup, and some DNS lookups consequently fail.
    (I use DNSMasq on my router.)
    As a work-around, I now filled in the DNS fields on the Web Interface with IP addresses that work, but not sure how reliable this will be in the long run.

SNMP Bandwidth Monitoring:
    I use CACTI to monitor the bandwidth (www.cacti.net). The new ppp1 connection showed up correctly on the SNMP Walk, and is graphing the bandwidth successfully.

Localroutes4.txt Hosting
    It makes sense to have this file hosted somewhere, since updates will occur from time to time. How is this file updated?

Very impressed!

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cschutte View Post
    The following comments:
    DDNS:
    I use DDNS on DynDNS.org. The router now links the ip of the international account (ppp1) to the DynDNS url. Since I use this only for local access, how can one ensure that the ip of ppp0 is rather used?
    DD-WRT has been written so the the services default the last dialled pppoe connection. I don't think it was ever intended in the firmware design for there to be more than one pppoe connection. Which is not really suited to our needs. Ideally you would want to be able to configure the services to use either or both connections. The rough and ready solution at the mo is to assuime that most services will be using the international connection, which is why I set up to run the international daemon after the local one. If you change the order of the pppd commands, the DD-WRT services will apply to the local account instead.

The best solution would be to get the dd-wrt source code, and change the default configuration settings according to your needs, and recompile a new version of the firmware But this is not a task I'm too keen on undertaking.

DNS:
    I struggled to set up DNS properly. It seems the DNS servers are not correctly setup, and some DNS lookups consequently fail.
    (I use DNSMasq on my router.)
    As a work-around, I now filled in the DNS fields on the Web Interface with IP addresses that work, but not sure how reliable this will be in the long run.
    I use WebAfrica's static DNS. I don't use DSNmasq. I've found the WA DNS servers to be very reliable.

SNMP Bandwidth Monitoring:
    I use CACTI to monitor the bandwidth (www.cacti.net). The new ppp1 connection showed up correctly on the SNMP Walk, and is graphing the bandwidth successfully.
    Interesting. Does it also show the ppp0 bandwdith?

Localroutes4.txt Hosting
    It makes sense to have this file hosted somewhere, since updates will occur from time to time. How is this file updated?
    If you check out the thread mentioned in my first post, ArminM provided the link for the localroutes4.txt file. It is updated every 24 hours.

Very impressed!
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response!

Re Cacti graphs: Yes - it plots both ppp0 and ppp1.
    For example, see here
    (the graphs are not very nice at the moment, because I have been debugging the server - should smooth if all is working as it should!)

Thanks again for the excellent script!
    Last edited by cschutte; 02-08-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added url

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone tested on OpenWRT? i just prefer that to DD, I thought most people did!
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well DD is the simpler one i think..
    Anyway dumb question (im an iburster)... does this work with two accounts that are from different service providers? Besides the fact that it probably makes alot more sense to just get both from one sp.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    Has anyone tested on OpenWRT? i just prefer that to DD, I thought most people did!
    Should work. As far as I know, the file structure is similar. The only pre-requisite is that OpenWRT use rp-pppoe as the pppoe dialler, and not pppoecd. It can be installed in OpenWRT if required.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PDonut View Post
    well DD is the simpler one i think..
    Anyway dumb question (im an iburster)... does this work with two accounts that are from different service providers? Besides the fact that it probably makes alot more sense to just get both from one sp.
    It can be from the same isp or different isps. The connections are independent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gatecrasher - Thanks for the reply.
    Im going to sound like a complete n00b here but are you using the WRT as the actual ADSL modem? or just for routing when connected to a DSL modem running through the "internet" port on the back?
    I have only really used mine for wireles stuff so im going to have to get it out of its box on the roof and play around a bit :/
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Super Grandmaster mancombseepgood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    Gatecrasher - Thanks for the reply.
    Im going to sound like a complete n00b here but are you using the WRT as the actual ADSL modem? or just for routing when connected to a DSL modem running through the "internet" port on the back?
    I have only really used mine for wireles stuff so im going to have to get it out of its box on the roof and play around a bit :/
    I am using it as the router only - my ADSL modem is another seperate unit... working like a bomb.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*edit* Already answered

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradbowlllama View Post
    I am using it as the router only - my ADSL modem is another seperate unit... working like a bomb.

Ditto. My ADSL modem is a Billion 5200S, running in bridged mode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast