Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you could spare some time, would it be possible to put up a simple "how-to" for installing and configuring cacti?

Quote Originally Posted by cschutte View Post
    SNMP Bandwidth Monitoring:
    I use CACTI to monitor the bandwidth (www.cacti.net). The new ppp1 connection showed up correctly on the SNMP Walk, and is graphing the bandwidth successfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    DD-WRT has been written so the the services default the last dialled pppoe connection. I don't think it was ever intended in the firmware design for there to be more than one pppoe connection. Which is not really suited to our needs. Ideally you would want to be able to configure the services to use either or both connections. The rough and ready solution at the mo is to assuime that most services will be using the international connection, which is why I set up to run the international daemon after the local one. If you change the order of the pppd commands, the DD-WRT services will apply to the local account instead.

The best solution would be to get the dd-wrt source code, and change the default configuration settings according to your needs, and recompile a new version of the firmware But this is not a task I'm too keen on undertaking.

I use WebAfrica's static DNS. I don't use DSNmasq. I've found the WA DNS servers to be very reliable.

Interesting. Does it also show the ppp0 bandwdith?

If you check out the thread mentioned in my first post, ArminM provided the link for the localroutes4.txt file. It is updated every 24 hours.

Thanks!
    Hi

Great work. I've been using it for about a day now. I'm also experiencing DNS issues.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ismailra View Post
    I'm also experiencing DNS issues.
    Not sure this will help...

I prefer to use the static DNS addresses provided by my ISP, Initially, I was using DCHP to provide an IP to my PC. Under this configuration I had no DNS problems.

For other reasons I needed a static IP on my PC so I used the router's IP as the dns server on the PC, but this proved quite unreliable. Then I used the same static DNS addresses on my PC as I have on my router. No problems since then.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of you successfully used port forwarding with this setup? For example - I want remote desktop forwarded to one machine. Obviously when I connect from outside it gets a bit confused because the port is listening on the international ip and trying to route info on the local connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Not sure this will help...

I prefer to use the static DNS addresses provided by my ISP, Initially, I was using DCHP to provide an IP to my PC. Under this configuration I had no DNS problems.

For other reasons I needed a static IP on my PC so I used the router's IP as the dns server on the PC, but this proved quite unreliable. Then I used the same static DNS addresses on my PC as I have on my router. No problems since then.
    Thanks. I've using a Telkom account for international and a Webafrica IS account for local. The DNS servers on DD-WRT are 196.43.46.190 and 196.43.38.190. I tried setting these on my network connection on Windows but it didn't help.
    Last edited by ismailra; 04-08-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ismailra View Post
    Thanks. I've using a Telkom account for international and a Webafrica IS account for local. The DNS servers on DD-WRT are 196.43.46.190 and 196.43.38.190. I tried setting these on my network connection on Windows but it didn't help.
    Try 196.25.255.250 and 196.25.253.13 and do an ipconfig /flushdns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Thanks. That did the trick. Who's DNS servers are these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I have been having some DNS issues with certain sites as well, but these servers seems to have sorted that instability now. Thanks again.

Super Grandmaster mancombseepgood's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on Verizon int and IS local - no dns issues here. Using DHCP with dynamic DNS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of you successfully used port forwarding with this setup? For example - I want remote desktop forwarded to one machine. Obviously when I connect from outside it gets a bit confused because the port is listening on the international ip and trying to route info on the local connection.
    Azrael - I have also problems with Port Forwarding with this setup. At first I suspected my DDNS setup, but further investigation shows that DDNS is set up correctly on ppp1 (international), but accessing anything from the outside does not work.

Resetting the router back to run without the script, and all is fine again.

I tried switching of DNSMasq, but no success so far.

Have you had any success?

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking around for a while for a router which can do the above, and so far it looks like only Cisco (83x/87x) with the very latest IOS can do it.

I successfully have two PPPoE connections running from the router, with DDNS attached to both interfaces. I have static PAT (Cisco speak for port forwarding) set up to internal machines. Traffic initiated to a particular interface results in the return traffic (back to the client) being routed out of the correct interface. It's quite a hairy config, but it's been working reliably for about 2 weeks now.

Not cheap for a home user, but IMO the best solution there is at the moment for this kind of application. You can do other nifty things as well, like ping a certain host to check for availability, and if it fails, route outgoing connections via the other interface. Plus you get full SNMP and a host of other goodies. I think paying +-R1.5K on ebay for one of these is well worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Ignore this question please it seems that I didn't read properly... hehehe

I'm running your script and it runs very nice... just one thing... I've noticed that it takes very long for it to do DNS lookups.. .I'm using the dhcp dns servers... 196.43.46.190 and 196.43.38.190 ... is there something that I should be doing.. how are you doing the dns lookups? or is there another reason maybe?
    Last edited by pieterbotes; 07-08-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: question already answered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayM View Post
    It's quite a hairy config, but it's been working reliably for about 2 weeks now.
    Any chance you'd be willing to share it? (obviously with private info omitted)

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nux
    Oh,what a day...what a lovely day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cschutte View Post
    Azrael - I have also problems with Port Forwarding with this setup. At first I suspected my DDNS setup, but further investigation shows that DDNS is set up correctly on ppp1 (international), but accessing anything from the outside does not work.

Resetting the router back to run without the script, and all is fine again.

I tried switching of DNSMasq, but no success so far.

Have you had any success?
    I'm also having this issue... I use smtp server on my local server to receive incoming mail and if accessing it from International sites it works fine but not from local sites.

Is there anyway to tell the router that it must sent it out on the same interface that it came in on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - I did not realise that it works from international! I tested and can also confirm that port forwarding works when accessing from international sites, but does not when accessing it from national sites.

Further research, shows that the router will only do port forwarding from one external ip.
    For reference, see
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...t=port+forward
    http://www.remoteroot.net/2007/07/18...inksys-wrt54g/
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...rward&start=15
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtop...d+wan+iptables

The last link in the dd-wrt forum, shows a script that will scan through the settings in the web interface, and set up the port forwarding on a second ip.
    Unfortunately all examples are for fixed ips, and I do not know enough about iptables to try it myself for ppp0...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast