Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 113 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1692

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CyBeRmAn View Post
    I've taken a look at the settings after creating an account. You can create an override for certain sites but you can't block all sites except a few, only blocking sites with certain content.

Are there not some commands i can use for the firewall in the Linksys to filter a URL list?
    Are you wanting to filter content in the URL or filter by IP number? If going by URL, then you need a proxy. Get squid for one of the machines, set the ACLs to block by default and allow for a given list of sites or URL patterns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, ill see if i can get squid on some extra equipment

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Came back after a week in JHB to a bricked router. None of the revival techniques worked.

Gone shopping.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Came back after a week in JHB to a bricked router. None of the revival techniques worked.
    What did you go with? I'm thinking of trying one of the wireless-n DD-WRT compatible routers instead of another WRT54GL when mine dies (or before, if techno-lust strikes).

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesR View Post
    What did you go with? I'm thinking of trying one of the wireless-n DD-WRT compatible routers instead of another WRT54GL when mine dies (or before, if techno-lust strikes).
    I'm still in mourning. Feel I'd be cheating getting a replacement so fast.

My Billion ADSL router, which I was using as a modem, is now running the network, and I have to keep changing accounts to utilize my remaining bandwidth.

Even before my WRT passed away, I was toying with the idea of getting an uncapped account. So I'm going to try that out next month.

But I do still need a wireless router. I'll start looking after I've given the old girl a decent burial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urk thats sad!
    I think uniterm-direct sells the buffalo hardware which is more or less the same as the WRT54G/GL
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I do still need a wireless router. I'll start looking after I've given the old girl a decent burial.
    I am very sorry for your loss. You have my heartfelt condolences

Did you find out the cause of death or is it a mystery?

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newb5000 View Post
    Did you find out the cause of death or is it a mystery?
    Poor electrical supply/earth leakage tripping during the recent storm here. I've lost several pieces of electronic equipment the same way in the past.

I got a UPS recently to protect my equipment from just such instances. It has 4 power sockets, but it only came with two cables. I attached my PC and monitor. I looked but failed to find similar cables in Port Alfred (basically 3 pin male computer/kettle type connectors.)

When I was in Joburg I bought two extra cables with the intention of putting the router, modem, external HDDs etc, behind the UPS...

But, alas, too late.

The WRT has its internet and ethernet lights permanently on, with the power light blinking rapidly. Cant be pinged. Connecting it directly to a pc gives message 'a cable is unplugged'. No other lights come on at any stage. Resetting does nothing. Failed to flash new firmware. Shorting pins 16 & 17 on the flash chip does nothing. Eventually gave up. It is a deceased router.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks man!
    Next time I come through to PE I will drop some of those cables you are looking for off!
    You used to get them in monitor boxes.
    I often do this as a quick fix:
    keep the end that you need and chop the other one off. So you are keeping the male part essentially. Then you get a multiplug and cut the plug off the end of it. Join that on to the end of the male plug you have left and plug back into your UPS.

Then you have a nice multiplug running off your UPS that you can plug whatever you want into. I run my WRT's off the 2prongs on the multiplug on my UPS.
    A computer programmer is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees
    the "Go to", rather than the destination, as harmful."

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    keep the end that you need and chop the other one off. So you are keeping the male part essentially. Then you get a multiplug and cut the plug off the end of it. Join that on to the end of the male plug you have left and plug back into your UPS.

Then you have a nice multiplug running off your UPS that you can plug whatever you want into. I run my WRT's off the 2prongs on the multiplug on my UPS.
    Exactly what I was going to do.... and I'm still going to do. But don't worry about the cables, I brought them back with me yesterday.

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in internet hell. I want my baby back.

Master
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys,

This is slightly off topic but anyways. Im moving into a new place soon and want to set up local/international split. What is the best (value for money, wireless, secure) router for this? Can you split on any isp?

Super Grandmaster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjoub06 View Post
    hey guys,

This is slightly off topic but anyways. Im moving into a new place soon and want to set up local/international split. What is the best (value for money, wireless, secure) router for this? Can you split on any isp?
    Probably the best value for money is the Asus WL-520GU.

Generally, splitting will work with any ADSL ISP. Nominally, Cybersmart does not allow it, although I don't see how they can prevent it. GConnect has, as far as I know, a non-standard login process, so I'm not sure that will work on a network.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the best value for money is the Asus WL-520GU.

Generally, splitting will work with any ADSL ISP. Nominally, Cybersmart does not allow it, although I don't see how they can prevent it. GConnect has, as far as I know, a non-standard login process, so I'm not sure that will work on a network.
    I use Cybersmart. Works 100%
    Parcel Tracking >>> www.ParcelTrack.co.za
    For ESET Anti-Virus, Smart Security etc, New License or Renewals PM me
    Accounting Services http://irp5.co.za/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I need some hardware recommendations...
    My current setup is a WRT54G (v2.2) and a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem.

I want to replace the modem because I think it has packed-up, and is the root of all my sync and disconnect problems. The ADSL2MUE doesn't seem to be available anymore, so what would be my best option at the moment? Should I just replace the modem with a cheap one, like a Billion or something? The nice thing is that the ADSL2MUE fits perfectly on the WRT54G

Otherwise, is there any Router+modem combo's that are supported by DD-WRT and the script? Then I would use the old WRT to connect to a WUG. Or are then any other seperate router and modems that make up a nice set like the WRT54G and ADSL2MUE?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by CodeMaster; 05-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 113 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast