Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1692

Thread: Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

That sounds interesting newb but why the fuss about the router's time? Just curious...
    Side note... wonder if that guest account can access the news servers...

Well the fact that the modem logs weren't properly timestamped did bother me I always had to do some math to determine what time an event occurred, especially when I wanted to prove to a Telkom technician that my ADSL line was faulty.

I posted the solution here so that anyone who might be experiencing the same problem knows how to fix it, but yeah...it's just a cosmetic change, no new functionality is gained.

This actually got me thinking. Had I not used the Telkom guest account credentials, but rather used my local only account, I could gain more functionality out of my ADSL router.

For example, instead of setting up dynamic DNS in the script on the Linksys, one could do it on the ADSL router. Also, instead of trying to set up a VPN or expose a PC to the internet via the script, one could also get this going using the ADSL router.

So having the ADSL router in half bridged mode could prove more useful than just making sure that it gets the correct time from SNTP servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    That makes sense. I thought he was on 12d. Seems not.
    Updated last night, on 12g with dd-wrt 24 sp1. All working now thanks.

Had a bit of an issue getting the local ddns to work, but finally got it right.
    Parcel Tracking >>> www.ParcelTrack.co.za
    For ESET Anti-Virus, Smart Security etc, New License or Renewals PM me
    Accounting Services http://irp5.co.za/

In connection with the 626 script adjustment:

This is pretty much the same idea, but maybe with a bit less code.

Adding after "chmod +x /tmp/checklink" in the startup script:

Code:
    echo "0">/tmp/def.rt
    echo "echo \"\$2\"> /tmp/def.rt
    route del default dev ppp\$1
    route add default dev ppp\$2"> /tmp/setdr
    chmod +x /tmp/setdr
    This creates a script setdr <from connection> <to connection>

The firewall script runs after every reconnect, so to restore the desired changes, add this code to the firewall script after "/tmp/build.wall":

Code:
    /tmp/setdr 0 `cat def.rt`
    Either run /tmp/setdr directly from the GUI command box (for immediate effect) and/or schedule changes in the GUI cron box:

Code:
    0 18 * * 1-5 root/tmp/setdr 0 2
    0 6 * * 1-5 root/tmp/setdr 2 0
    Just found something out while trying to implement a similar script solution:

The addition to the firewall script

Code:
    /tmp/setdr 0 `cat def.rt`
    should be:

Code:
    /tmp/setdr 0 `cat /tmp/def.rt`
    I seem to remember JacquesR having a problem where only the local routes would work after a reboot. I think this is the reason.

I have an uncapped account which is throttled from 8am to 8pm weekdays, but otherwise achieves full speeds. I've implemented a script that switches to a regular TI account as the default route during weekdays, but also ensures that no (Astraweb) news or p2p traffic goes over this TI connection. If I cap the TI account I think I will also implement an amended script to use local/int splitting with a prepaid account during weekdays - that way I could also use the SAIX news server. Might just be the best of all possible worlds, well, at least until we get decent broadband in SA at a decent price.

]

I seem to remember JacquesR having a problem where only the local routes would work after a reboot. I think this is the reason.
    Indeed I did. Thanks for this update - will try it again (not this month, though, as I'll have a difficult enough time using up all my int. bandwidth thanks to the WebAfrica trial!).

If anyone is interested, I have my Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT v23sp2 up for sale. Will flash whatever version of DD-WRT you want on it. Ad is in the classifieds section.

Can one of you using 12d of Gatecrasher's script help with a little diagnostic exercise, please? I keep getting a "connection reset by peer" error when trying to load www.eatout.co.za - but the site is fine (loads with no problems from my phone). Does it load for you?

My current local isp is Telkom, with Afrihost for int. (have also tried loading it with Webafrica int. and Axxess local, with no success).

Any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix?

Mine just loads & loads & loads......

@JacquesR, I can't access that website, either.

I've noticed a few sites I visit not loading. To fix it (temporarily) I ping the site, get the ip address and add the route to the international account ( route add -host www.xxx.yyy.zzz ppp0 ) and then Bingo! it works.

So it seems that some non-local addresses are being added to the local routes list. Either that, or the list is not being adaquately updated. Whichever... it's a bit disappointing.

If it becomes a persistent problem, you can replace

Code:
    wget "http://developers.locality.co.za/routes.txt" -O /tmp/routes.txt
    with

Code:
    wget "http://ip.ludost.net/cgi/process?country=1&country_list=za&format_template=prefix&format_name=&format_target=&format_default=" -O /tmp/routes.txt
    in the start-up script.
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 16-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Apologies for that! I can see this becoming a problem, as Maxmind updates only occur at the beginning of the month and new local IP blocks are being assigned all the time. I can apply 'patches' as I've said before, any corrections can be sent via the contact page on the site, though an automated procedure would be better.

What I'll do is work on combining routes from the IS BGP, and then slim them down as before. I'll distribute multiple versions of the database, and release the combined database at the existing address, so as not to interrupt existing script updates.

I'll report back once I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesR View Post
    Any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix?
    JacquesR, apologies for that. Please reset your router, or have it download the latest routes, as they've been updated.

Thanks swazz & GC for the feedback and advice, and Locality for updating the routes - all works fine now.

I'm not sure whether this has something to do with the script or my account, but all of the suddent I'm getting 481 Access Denied via @wadsl.local when trying to access news.saix.net.

One thing that I have noticed is that my ppp2 is now connecting to 41.144.7.xx address where it used to connect to a 165.xx.xx.xx address.

Tracert news.saix.net

Tracing route to news.saix.net [196.43.2.61]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms xxxxxxxxxxx [192.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    2 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms dsl-146-152-01.telkomadsl.co.za [165.146.152.1]

3 45 ms 49 ms 43 ms wblv-ip-essr-2-atm-2-0-0-2.telkom-ipnet.co.za [1
    96.43.11.86]
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.

Should I take this up with WebAfrica?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 113 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast