Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The rise and fall of the SABC

Default The rise and fall of the SABC

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx..._and_analysis/

Last year journalist John Perlman faced a warning on the same charge: bringing the SABC into disrepute. His offence was to point out -- truthfully -- that news management had forbidden certain people from being interviewed for reasons that were, at best, idiosyncratic rather than editorial.

Grandmaster

It must be very difficult to be a journalist coz they don't have that freedom of speak. They can only report what the SABC wants. They can't critisize the ANC, but they can critisize other parties. I wish we had powerful independent broadcating stations for the public.
    i7 2600 | Asus P8H67-M (Rev B3) | Corsair TX650 | CM Scout | Mushkin Silverline BBR3 1333 -2X4GB | DeepCool Tiger Shark |120GB Samsung Evo| 1TB Samsung

And history keeps repeating itself, over and over and over and over and over and............................................... .................................................. .......................

Super Grandmaster

In much of post-colonial Africa, points out Cameroonian writer Francis Nyamnjoh, state broadcasters parroted their pre-independence predecessors: “Journalists in the state media were little more than public relations men and women for the government or ruling party ... committed … less to truth and public service than to building a positive image, selling ideas and promoting the interests of the state or ruling elite.”
    Now where have I seen that?????
    One cannot make assertions about reality based on philosophy alone. ~ Coyne

Arrow

The fall and further fall.

Gaaah, there's a Dell/MS ad in the corner that's driving me nuts...
    :: If voting could change anything, it'd be illegal.

This is just anther part of the process of South Africa becoming a "normal" African country.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by arni1954 View Post
    This is just anther part of the process of South Africa becoming a "normal" African country.
    The SABC now behaves towards the ANC in a manner indistinguishable from how they behaved to the Nats way back when. It is nothing new. That Nat arsecreeper Cliff Saunders was even admitting to some of his sins in this regard in the Sunday Times.

Quote Originally Posted by rwenzori View Post
    The SABC now behaves towards the ANC in a manner indistinguishable from how they behaved to the Nats way back when. It is nothing new. That Nat arsecreeper Cliff Saunders was even admitting to some of his sins in this regard in the Sunday Times.
    Yeah, that was an interesting letter in the SunTimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkomisaloser View Post
    I must get banned
    <!--

Super Grandmaster

Thanks for the link Chiskop - I admit to being too lazy to look, eating a curry and all.

Careful, rwenzori. We carry on like this and people* will think I'm you or you're me.

<!--

Super Grandmaster

I don't get it .. they patted themselves on the back nicely last year with their 13th, 14th and 15th cheques with our "TV licencing" money. Surely the 3000 plus SABC emplyee's are nawt doing anything untoward?

I smell yet another smokescreen. Is sentech up to something?

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by chiskop View Post
    Careful, rwenzori. We carry on like this and people* will think I'm you or you're me.

Thinking of Cliff Saunders, is Charl Pauw still reporting on perlemoen poachers from Cape Town? And what happened to Christopher Dingle - the one who shouted "FAAAAAAAAAACK!" on live TV LOL?

+ Reply to Thread