Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vumatel Fibre CPE and which WAN Router - fibre-noob

Question Vumatel Fibre CPE and which WAN Router - fibre-noob

Hi all,

Hopefully getting fibre in our area soon and just want some advice on which WAN Router can be used on a Vox account - I currently have two TP-Link routers with WAN ports in my ADSL setup, the first is a TP-LINK WR841HP 300Mbps High Power Wireless N Router and the second is a TP-LINK Archer C50 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Router

From what I understand, the CPE is installed by Vumatel/Vox (is this the equivalent to an ADSL Modem?), however can I use either of the above routers as the gateway to the CPE, i.e. LAN cable from the CPE to one of the above router's WAN port, then configure the router to dial PPPOE to ISP?
    I see that Vox seems to supply the Huawei WAN Router, but have seen some complaints about this router.

Ideally I want to be able to have a month-to-month ISP fibre account with Vox and use one of my own routers without having to purchase anything additional/new, or having to take their router option at additional cost.

Any advice is appreciated. If either of my routers cannot do the job, suggestions on a good WAN Router would be welcome
    Last edited by howardb; 06-07-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updated
    PhenomII X6 1100T | Asus M5A99X Evo | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 16GB Hyper-X | Radeon HD6850 | Win7 Ult 64 | HX850 PSU | 2x Samsung 2333SW | CM690ii | H80 Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by howardb View Post
    Hi all,

Hopefully getting fibre in our area soon and just want some advice on which WAN Router can be used on a Vox account - I currently have two TP-Link routers with WAN ports in my ADSL setup, the first is a TP-LINK WR841HP 300Mbps High Power Wireless N Router and the second is a TP-LINK Archer C50 AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Router

From what I understand, the CPE is installed by Vumatel/Vox (is this the equivalent to an ADSL Modem?), however can I use either of the above routers as the gateway to the CPE, i.e. LAN cable from the CPE to one of the above router's WAN port, then configure the router to dial PPPOE to ISP?
    I see that Vox seems to supply the Huawei WAN Router, but have seen some complaints about this router.

Ideally I want to be able to have a month-to-month ISP fibre account with Vox and use one of my own routers without having to purchase anything additional/new, or having to take their router option at additional cost.

Any advice is appreciated. If either of my routers cannot do the job, suggestions on a good WAN Router would be welcome
    You can use any router that has a WAN port on the Vumatel infrastructure, the CPE is a layer2 device so doesnt do any routing.

Why not sign up with us on www.cisp.co.za? We supply a router for free as well.

i got this router from rebeltech in fourways for R120 http://www.rebeltech.co.za/wireless-...417N&results=1

works perfectly with my 20mbps fibre, not sure how it will work with faster fibre though

Thanks guys, will take a look at the details tomorrow.
    PhenomII X6 1100T | Asus M5A99X Evo | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 16GB Hyper-X | Radeon HD6850 | Win7 Ult 64 | HX850 PSU | 2x Samsung 2333SW | CM690ii | H80 Cooler

@PBCool - thanks for the link, those packages look good, will certainly consider

@timmy123 - thanks for this; depending on which ISP I go for, I will try my existing routers - if they don't work correctly then will go to plan B.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PBCool View Post
    You can use any router that has a WAN port on the Vumatel infrastructure, the CPE is a layer2 device so doesnt do any routing.

Why not sign up with us on www.cisp.co.za? We supply a router for free as well.
    Which router(s) does Cool Ideas supply?
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

The CPE is basically an ethernet switch. You need a router that's capable of being a DHCP client on the ethernet port connected to the switch...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    The CPE is basically an ethernet switch. You need a router that's capable of being a DHCP client on the ethernet port connected to the switch...
    We have an ADSL modem acting as our DHCP server, with a gigabit LAN/Wifi router connected to that for the LAN+wifi access. I realise that the ADSL modem will be replaced by a new router which is connected to the CPE. I'm a bit confused as to why this will need to be a DHCP client though?

The layout would go from:
    Win10-PC -> Wifi+LAN router -> ADSL modem/DHCP server -> Telkom

to:
    Win10-PC -> Wifi+LAN router/DHCP server -> ISP's Fiber router -> CPE

I'd like to do some investigation before we are connected, to decide whether the supplied device will be able to simply replace our existing ADSL device though. I may have to reconfigure the Wifi device as the DHCP server, assuming it's simply connected to the new fiber "router" via a LAN port.
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    We have an ADSL modem acting as our DHCP server, with a gigabit LAN/Wifi router connected to that for the LAN+wifi access. I realise that the ADSL modem will be replaced by a new router which is connected to the CPE. I'm a bit confused as to why this will need to be a DHCP client though?

The layout would go from:
    Win10-PC -> Wifi+LAN router -> ADSL modem/DHCP server -> Telkom

to:
    Win10-PC -> Wifi+LAN router/DHCP server -> ISP's Fiber router -> CPE

I'd like to do some investigation before we are connected, to decide whether the supplied device will be able to simply replace our existing ADSL device though. I may have to reconfigure the Wifi device as the DHCP server, assuming it's simply connected to the new fiber "router" via a LAN port.
    Vumatel assigns your IP address by DHCP - so you need a dhcp client on the port you've got connected to the CPE. Most routers with a "wan" port support this. The DHCP referred to here is a different scope to your internal DHCP.

Blog Entries

Vumatel assigns your IP address by DHCP - so you need a dhcp client on the port you've got connected to the CPE. Most routers with a "wan" port support this. The DHCP referred to here is a different scope to your internal DHCP.
    Cool, now it makes sense, thanks. Since the Wifi router (an old TP-Link WR1043ND) has a WAN port with PPPoE functionality, is there any specific need for another "fiber router"?
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    Cool, now it makes sense, thanks. Since the Wifi router (an old TP-Link WR1043ND) has a WAN port with PPPoE functionality, is there any specific need for another "fiber router"?
    Nope. As long as you can set it to dhcp instead of pppoe it should be fine.
    Only possible hitch is if you're getting a 100mb account you'll probably want a 1gig wan port to get the max out of your account.

Nope. As long as you can set it to dhcp instead of pppoe it should be fine.
    Only possible hitch is if you're getting a 100mb account you'll probably want a 1gig wan port to get the max out of your account.
    Yeap exactly as Sinbad says.

Blog Entries

I vaguely recall seeing WAN port settings, or else we'll simply use the device supplied by the ISP.
    Ach! Crivens!

#ProudlySouthAfrican

Any reason why the Billion Bipac 7800X would not play nicely on Vumatel's fibre network?

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    Any reason why the Billion Bipac 7800X would not play nicely on Vumatel's fibre network?
    No reason it shouldn't work, just keep in mind most services on Vumatel are limited to 1 public IP which is bound to a MAC address. Are you replacing another router with the Billion?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast