Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which small/medium SUV?

I really really really want a a forester for reasons unknown to me but the fuel consumption is putting me off a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mowgs View Post
    I really really really want a a forester for reasons unknown to me but the fuel consumption is putting me off a lot.
    They made a diesel in the previous range.

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mowgs View Post
    I also thought the fuel consumption of the Forester is a bit high, then I remembered I've been in a E90 325i for 5 years now with a heavy right foot and comparing the Forester to my current real life consumption figures puts it in a much better light
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

I know I cant really compare the 2 but if I fill up my diesel tiguan in Cape Town, set the cruise control on 120 and aircon on, I only fill up again in Bloemfontein. It will be a bit difficult moving away from that type of consumption.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    There was also that roller test which the Subaru passed and everything else with AWD apparently failed (Honda, Toyota, Ford etc), although there were a few untested vehicles that would have also passed it at the time, like the X-Trail, Patriot and anything else with a central locking differential. These days there are a lot more vehicles in this class that would actually pass that test, including the new Tiguan and new Tucson.
    Ya there a couple of these "tests" like
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkvqsQEV2Q
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U

But you can definitely feel it working when you loose grip..and cornering is just excellent!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21lwEYY-D0
    That's why I opted for the XV, which has the same symmetrical awd and stability control, just smaller and cheaper with better styling
    -|WebAfrica|-
    -|i7 3770k 4.6GHz|Custom WC loop|z77 V Gene|8GB|MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC 6GB|Intel 530 240GB|4.5TB|QNIX @ 120Hz|-

Grandmaster

If you looking for power and comfort, why not a 4L Nissan Pathfinder or a Volvo XC90?
    They not small, but loads of vooma and space.
    You will be supprised at how cheap you can get one.

The 3,2 Suzuki Grand Vitara is also not looking to bad if you really looking for small.
    "If it ain't broke, do not fix it!"

Unlimited Free Broadband www.ctwug.za.net

Quote Originally Posted by wetkit View Post
    If you looking for power and comfort, why not a 4L Nissan Pathfinder or a Volvo XC90?
    Not many of those around for under 400k (at least not currently on Autotrader) and Volvo is Swedish, but thanks, haven't thought about the Pathfinder before

Quote Originally Posted by wetkit View Post
    The 3,2 Suzuki Grand Vitara is also not looking to bad if you really looking for small.
    Considered that, but the missus doesn't like its look ... perhaps she changes her mind when we go to test the new Vitara and a Grand Vitara happens to be on the floor ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    They made a diesel in the previous range.
    I used to drive that Diesel until about 3 months ago. Consumption is really awesome.

The only problems with the Forester (coming from somebody who have owned 3 of them) are two things. Firstly, after a certain mileage (130k, in my last one), things start to fail and it costs you money. This can be said about any car, but with Subaru being imported, repairs are a bit more pricey. I got to a point where it would cost my about +/- an additional installment in repairs for every four installments paid... Secondly, don't expect resale value. You will easily lose 60 - 80k when you trade it in.

That being said, those things EAT dirt roads. I traded it in on a BT-50, and the difference in handling on dirt roads is huge.
    It takes a big man to cry.
    It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

I like this

http://www.toyota.co.za/ranges/rav4#models

R366 for 2.2 CTV
    Who cares about 4x4 if not bundu bashing in Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    Which SUV would you recommend and why? Sticking strictly to options within these, non-negotiable, parameters:
    - must be 4wd
    - must be German or Japanese (the reason for this is a whole different thread )
    - must be under R400k from the dealer
    Meh, wouldn't be a "what car to buy thread" if I didn't recommend a Korean!! Hyundai Tucson. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by boeriebuffet View Post
    Meh, wouldn't be a "what car to buy thread" if I didn't recommend a Korean!! Hyundai Tucson. Done.
    Fantastic plastic...

@OP, why cosider a Nissan, but exclude the Renault? Same platform, same engines...

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    @OP, why cosider a Nissan, but exclude the Renault? Same platform, same engines...
    I've never experienced any embarrassing electronic glitch in a Nissan, I've never not experienced it in every f-ing Renault I've ever been in

Quote Originally Posted by boeriebuffet View Post
    Truth be told I'm not so heavily anti Korean, but the only 4wd Tucson is the top model which goes for R520k ... let that sink in, I'd be buying a BMW X-something if I was spending over half a mil, sure as hell not a Hyundai.

And it comes with an infotainment system from 2004.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast