Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which small/medium SUV?

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    I've never experienced any embarrassing electronic glitch in a Nissan, I've never not experienced it in every f-ing Renault I've ever been in
    I guess.

I've never had these weird issues that the anti renault brigade harp on about with any of my renaults over the years.

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    I guess.

I've never had these weird issues that the anti renault brigade harp on about with any of my renaults over the years.
    I've never owned one, but my poor dad has a soft spot for Renault, ah bless. He spent more hours of my childhood with a multi-meter inside the 5TS and later on the 9 than inside the house

He also went through two Meganes both of which spent many days (and ZARs) with the auto electrician until they were sold and now he has a brand new Duster ... in the first month of ownership I get phoned up at 6am on a Saturday morning I was planning to sleep in on: emergency time, dad needs a lift to the airport, Duster is not firing on all cylinders, once the dealership diagnosed the problem it was yet again ... drum roll ... electrical.

I actually like their modern designs in general, but will never buy one, ever!
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

Truth be told I'm not so heavily anti Korean, but the only 4wd Tucson is the top model which goes for R520k ... let that sink in, I'd be buying a BMW X-something if I was spending over half a mil, sure as hell not a Hyundai.
    NarrowBandFtw 1
    boeriebuffet 0

This makes me sad

I take it the Mitsu Pajero is a bit too big for your liking? They have a nice cult following on 4x4community.co.za

I can't speak for the Mitsu Outlander but the 2.4 petrol engine it uses might be quite thirsty anyhow

EDIT: Ford Kuga perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by wabbit16 View Post
    I take it the Mitsu Pajero is a bit too big for your liking? They have a nice cult following on 4x4community.co.za

I can't speak for the Mitsu Outlander but the 2.4 petrol engine it uses might be quite thirsty anyhow

EDIT: Ford Kuga perhaps?
    Not too worried about the physical size, but trying hard to stick to below R400k and get a relatively new car i.e. 2014 and up with low mileage, I think that puts Pajero out of the running?

Not a fan of the Kuga's look cheers for reminding me of 4x4community.co.za though, finding it quite informative.

Drove the new Vitara yesterday! Interior is spacious for its size, more so than the CX-3, and it handles very nicely.

Unfortunately you can definitely tell you're in a 1.6 when you hit the highway, pity we don't have a turbo version like the Aussies

Next up is what should be the final test drive: Subaru Forester 2.0X

Final thread revival on this topic, I reckon I found my car. Ultimately the Forester was just too big for the SO's taste so I drove the XV 2.0i instead in both manual and CVT guise.

What a nice overall package: not as expensive as most SUV's I've driven, more vooma than the Vitara, a pretty decent interior, great handling and of course permanent AWD!

For those interested, I took the "scientific" approach to test driving no less than 6 different small/medium SUV's here are my final results (xls format):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...EFtYmJ6dHJaSE0

Top table is the raw data (obviously some categories are subjective) and the bottom is a conversion to % scores relative to the "winner" of each category so an overall average score could be calculated.

More of an attempt to help counter against emotions taking over than anything else, not like I was a slave to the results either

Final thread revival on this topic, I reckon I found my car. Ultimately the Forester was just too big for the SO's taste so I drove the XV 2.0i instead in both manual and CVT guise.

What a nice overall package: not as expensive as most SUV's I've driven, more vooma than the Vitara, a pretty decent interior, great handling and of course permanent AWD!

For those interested, I took the "scientific" approach to test driving no less than 6 different small/medium SUV's here are my final results (xls format):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...EFtYmJ6dHJaSE0

Top table is the raw data (obviously some categories are subjective) and the bottom is a conversion to % scores relative to the "winner" of each category so an overall average score could be calculated.

More of an attempt to help counter against emotions taking over than anything else, not like I was a slave to the results either
    I like your approach. I am also looking at a Subaru. I like the AWD, ride height clearance and resell value. Wife has the CX3 which is awsome, but I would prefer a more "go anywhere" bigger car. I actually quite like the utilitarian interior - I often end up scratching things haha.

I currently drive a Mitsubishi - pity that they have basically not released anything great in the last 5 years. My car is still rock solid and no issues - so will probably drive it till it costs to much to fix up as the resell value is terrible.

As somebody that has owned three Subaru Foresters, I can assure you that it is a great brand with only a few (possibly dealbreaking) drawbacks.

The interiors of all three my Foresters were primitive compared to other brands. I haven't owned the current Forester, but did have the shape before it.
    I lost a lot of money getting rid of all of them. Trade in values are shocking. "Book" trade in was 200k on the last one, and I settled for 145k. Ultimately my car was advertised by the dealer for 180k before it was sold.
    Once you reach mileage of 100k+, maintenance will start hurting you. Brake pads, intercooler piping, glow plugs - all relatively minor things; until you can only buy them from the Subaru agents...

So while it is a really awesome vehicle, consider the above. Feel free to PM me if you would like more details.
    It takes a big man to cry.
    It takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Mokka
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Opel Coffee is a good option yes...

Did anyone suggest crv? Or is that too big?

Reason I ask is a colleague just wrote off his month old x-trail and is replacing with a crv. I like that crv I went to look at with him.

yup yup.. XV is cool but it misses some things u expect for a 350k+ vehicle
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by pinball wizard View Post
    Did anyone suggest crv? Or is that too big?

Reason I ask is a colleague just wrote off his month old x-trail and is replacing with a crv. I like that crv I went to look at with him.
    My non-negotiable requirements included 4wd and a price below R400k, so the CRV disqualifies itself as the cheapest 4wd CRV is R570k

Default Which small/medium SUV?

And R570 for a 4WD CR-V is just stupid imo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast