Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed South Florida man with hands up shot by police while calming autistic patient

Quote Originally Posted by Diplos View Post
    http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/up...shootings.html

It's only a single study, but it was led by a black professor from Harvard, so it does carry some weight. Also, at least it is SOME data, not just emotion and anecdote.
    Not even a study...

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/15/har...ved-shootings/

The New York Times inaccurately reported an unvetted working paper as a Harvard study that disproved the claim black people are shot by police at a higher rate than whites

That paper [PDF] began with disclosures that it was funded anonymously and (more important, had not yet been subject to peer review due to its status as a "working paper":

Although the difference might have seemed semantic in nature, the imprecise wording of the Times' original piece led a great many readers and news outlets to believe the research was peer-reviewed and published rather than being a work-in-progress unpublished by any scientific journal. It isn't clear whether, absent the rigor applied to actual studies, Fryer's findings will ultimately pass a review by peers or achieve published status. There is yet no indication Fryer's work was necessarily sloppy, but neither has the typical oversight of a genuine study been applied to his working paper. In short, aside from the pedigree of an author who is also a Harvard economics professor, Fryer's paper as it stands now isn't much different in stature than any other article published online

Methodology was a matter of dispute when it came to the paper and its findings: investigative journalist and law enforcement expert Radley Balko published a critical editorial in the Washington Post about the working paper, noting that core data may have been weighted to favor officer perspectives. Balko highlighted cues he spotted in the paper that suggested its findings may have been rooted in shaky reports:

I think of the Kathryn Johnston case, in which the police invented an informant and lied on a search warrant affidavit before breaking down the 92-year-old woman’s door. She was innocent. When she met them with the broken old revolver she used to scare off intruders, they shot and killed her. In the police report, she was an armed suspect who threatened them with a gun.
    Edit - Too quick OD

Why did you shoot me sir? I don't know...
    Maybe he meant "Simply because you are black"?
    Last edited by Loumina; 21-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    He who takes offense when none is intended is a fool. He who takes offense when offense is intended is a bigger fool.- Confucius

Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unhappy438 View Post
    Who is getting killed every day? Certainly not the cops and when you consider the total amount of police officers through out the states, the death rate is quite low.
    And they've never been safer, in terms of fatalities. Tough when facts get in the way of feels.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    And they've never been safer, in terms of fatalities. Tough when facts get in the way of feels.
    Bull****. You haven't played enough GTA. When people are on 5 stars it's pandemonium. Those poor officers...
    Last edited by Mach III; 21-07-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Grandmaster

The US police are just like another arm of the military - they treat communities like war zones.

Why did you shoot me? "I don't know."

Coming from a nation who has Hillary and Trump as their presidential candidates, I am not surprised at this level of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Not even a study...

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/15/har...ved-shootings/

Edit - Too quick OD
    I stand corrected regarding working paper vs study. As for the criticism of methodology etc., until a decent peer reviewed *study* is published (unless these already exist, but neither side seems interested in referring to them) this might be the best we have.

Your right-leaning publications and web sites will hold up the study as evidence that there is no racial bias while the left-leaning ones will attempt to pick apart the methodology and no one is actually any the wiser.

The contention after a video surfaces of a black person being killed by a white cop is that it there must be institutionalised racism in the US police. Where is the evidence?

Some kids in Manenberg were filmed stoning a dog to death. Does this mean that cruelty to animals is inherent to coloured culture? What if 5 similar videos surface - is that enough 'evidence'?

Racism could be at the root of these shootings - I don't know, but neither does anyone else (except the shooters themselves) at this point - anyone claiming they know 'the reason' is just full of BS.

I stand corrected regarding working paper vs study. As for the criticism of methodology etc., until a decent peer reviewed *study* is published (unless these already exist, but neither side seems interested in referring to them) this might be the best we have.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/study...r-racial-bias/

REBECCA HETEY, Stanford University: We found a significant pattern of racial disparities in who was stopped, in who was handcuffed, in who was searched, and in who was arrested.

JACKIE JUDD: Rebecca Hetey is a Stanford University researcher and an author of the report.

REBECCA HETEY: More importantly, these disparities remained significant after we took into account a wide range of factors that we would expect to influence police decision-making, like crime rate, like neighborhood demographics

The working paper I referred to also found that, but it was in the use of lethal force that it found no bias.

If there was ever a time for me to believe in the bible it would be now. This world is really falling apart, and its only a matter of time....
    Believe in yourself. There's no sense in relying on others to do it for you.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by thapedict View Post
    If there was ever a time for me to believe in the bible it would be now. This world is really falling apart, and its only a matter of time....
    ...for aliens to invade...and clean up this mess we are ...
    BSG -the best show!

If only SAPS was this trigger happy there would be no criminals roaming our streets

Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar

Your right-leaning publications and web sites will hold up the study as evidence that there is no racial bias while the left-leaning ones will attempt to pick apart the methodology and no one is actually any the wiser.
    Incorrect. The evidence is overwhelming, comes over a very long period of time, and is constantly being pointed out. The right just ignores it because it doesn't suit their narrative.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

Banned

i wonder what crackersa and ellay think of this.

Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    Incorrect. The evidence is overwhelming, comes over a very long period of time, and is constantly being pointed out. The left just ignores it because it doesn't suit their narrative.
    ftfy ... also, linking Vox as a reputable source?!?
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

http://lucidramble.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast