Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67

Thread: Unarmed South Florida man with hands up shot by police while calming autistic patient

  1. #31
    Super Grandmaster LCBXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wilgeheuwel
    Posts
    8,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thapedict View Post
    If there was ever a time for me to believe in the bible it would be now. This world is really falling apart, and its only a matter of time....
    Which variant, version or which part of the Bible...?
    Last edited by LCBXX; 21-07-2016 at 10:56 AM.

  2. #32
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    38,843
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    ftfy ... also, linking Vox as a reputable source?!?
    "Clicking on referenced links is hard so I'll rather go the ad hominem route."

    I am Jack's lack of surprise.
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  3. #33
    Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the mother city
    Posts
    11,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    "Clicking on referenced links is hard so I'll rather go the ad hominem route."

    I am Jack's lack of surprise.
    Assumptions, mother of all f-ups ...

    I read your links, and sadly I know Vox's bias all too well. Did you happen to read any of the links I posted previously courtesy of Steven Crowder of proof that counters all the BS offered by Vox's narrative?

    Btw just because it comes in an infographic format doesn't mean it has any credibility when interpreted by someone with a clear agenda.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

    http://lucidramble.com

  4. #34
    Super Grandmaster Cray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    15,142
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    Assumptions, mother of all f-ups ...
    I read your links, and sadly I know Vox's bias all too well. Did you happen to read any of the links I posted previously courtesy of Steven Crowder of proof that counters all the BS offered by Vox's narrative?
    .
    Care to post them here?

  5. #35
    Grandmaster Mach III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    ftfy ... also, linking Vox as a reputable source?!?
    It doesn't matter about who said what. That is just another fallacious statement. Rather, click on the link, look at the actual research done. Instead of a, "I'm going to blindly believe this because it is from a credible person.". Stop putting your trust in others, and look at the research for yourself. These organizations that have websites have people running these websites. They also have journalists who do plenty of research. The journalists describe where they obtained the research and who or what they based it on. Then you can follow those sources all the way through. Facts are facts... So it is annoying for people who go by facts when trying to show people who go by belief and faith.

    There seems to be a problem understanding on here that when committing fallacies, it means you're wrong. There's no further arguing. The user of fallacies is not using logic.

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg_SA View Post
    The US police are just like another arm of the military - they treat communities like war zones.
    Many are also ex service men, plus their training is way too short compared to many other police services around the world.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

  7. #37
    Super Grandmaster Cray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    15,142
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    Many are also ex service men, plus their training is way too short compared to many other police services around the world.
    And they increasingly have access to military style equipment, not a good combination...

  8. #38
    Super Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    And they increasingly have access to military style equipment, not a good combination...
    That too
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

  9. #39
    Grandmaster Mach III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    And they increasingly have access to military style equipment, not a good combination...
    I did some googling..

    Found this:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program

    The 1033 Program was created by the National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 1997 as part of the U.S. Government's Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services (DLA) to transfer excess military equipment to civilian law enforcement agencies and signed into law by President Bill Clinton on Sept 23, 1996.[1] As of 2014, 8,000 local law enforcement agencies participated in the reutilization program that has transferred $5.1 billion in military hardware from the Department of Defense to local American law enforcement agencies since 1997
    The program has been criticized over the years by local media, by the Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Defense in 2003 and the GAO which found waste, abuse and fraud. It was not until media coverage of militarized police during August 2014 Ferguson unrest that the program drew nationwide public attention. It should be noted that Ferguson Police Department had no 1033 equipment during the unrest as per the Missouri 1033 Program. President Obama signed Executive Order 13688 into law on May 2015 limiting and prohibiting certain types of equipment.[citation needed]. The ACLU has raised concerns about the militarization of police forces in the US.
    It all ties back to Governance:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/clinton-found...rtment-1934187

    http://www.telesurtv.net/english/new...1214-0002.html

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffre...b_9168938.html

    How many Nkandlas can you buy with $5.1bn? Convert it into equipment and load it into the public mix to deal with and tadaaaa-aaa-aaaa-aaa: people being shot with their hands up.

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ment/10286485/

    The Department of Defense's 1033 program, which Congress passed in 1997 to expand on a 1991 initiative, initially aimed to give surplus military equipment for police use in counter-narcotic and counter-terrorism situations.
    Now, with the government giving away thousands of Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles, weapons and more pedestrian items such as cars and clothing, even smaller police departments in cities and towns with low crime rates are acquiring items.
    Side note: (just to illustrate the extent of control that the Government has): Do you know what qualifies as counter terrorism? People speaking out: https://www.ted.com/talks/will_potte...pt?language=en

    People can't voice their opinions because they have crazed individuals policing them.

    Humans... What sorry animals...

    OR we can choose to believe that the Government wants what is best for us; and that police officers are simply fearful because of watching their mates drop like flies.
    Last edited by Mach III; 21-07-2016 at 11:38 AM.

  10. #40
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    38,843
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NarrowBandFtw View Post
    Assumptions, mother of all f-ups ...

    I read your links, and sadly I know Vox's bias all too well. Did you happen to read any of the links I posted previously courtesy of Steven Crowder of proof that counters all the BS offered by Vox's narrative?

    Btw just because it comes in an infographic format doesn't mean it has any credibility when interpreted by someone with a clear agenda.
    So you read the links, including to the Economist, FBI data, OECD data, ProPublica, The Guardian, NCBI, NY Times, the ACLU, HRW, Sociological Science journal, US Sentencing Commission, Project Know, etc. etc. and just dismissed all of it with a hand-wave? Yeah, that doesn't sound biased at all.

    I did read it, and it didn't counter anything I've posted so far, and I replied to it already. Still waiting for you to show me where it shows this:

    "as a % of overall interactions between police and civilians, whites are disproportionately more likely to be shot by the police."
    "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."

  11. #41
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,086
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    Many are also ex service men, plus their training is way too short compared to many other police services around the world.
    I was wondering about that.

  12. #42
    Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the mother city
    Posts
    11,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach III View Post
    It doesn't matter about who said what. That is just another fallacious statement. Rather, click on the link, look at the actual research done. Instead of a, "I'm going to blindly believe this because it is from a credible person.". Stop putting your trust in others, and look at the research for yourself. These organizations that have websites have people running these websites. They also have journalists who do plenty of research. The journalists describe where they obtained the research and who or what they based it on. Then you can follow those sources all the way through. Facts are facts... So it is annoying for people who go by facts when trying to show people who go by belief and faith.

    There seems to be a problem understanding on here that when committing fallacies, it means you're wrong. There's no further arguing. The user of fallacies is not using logic.
    See post #33, I did read, you incorrectly seem to assume I didn't. The facts they point out btw is not in dispute, as you say facts are facts, the problem is with the interpretation. Their interpretation follows a leftist narrative, a brief look at alternate interpretations, or indeed using one's own brain and looking at only the facts to come up with an independent one, reveals different outcomes.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

    http://lucidramble.com

  13. #43
    Super Grandmaster Randhir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    25,063
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    Many are also ex service men, plus their training is way too short compared to many other police services around the world.
    Ex-army man + not enough training should not = shooting this man.

  14. #44
    Super Grandmaster NarrowBandFtw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    the mother city
    Posts
    11,289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    So you read the links, including to the Economist, FBI data, OECD data, ProPublica, The Guardian, NCBI, NY Times, the ACLU, HRW, Sociological Science journal, US Sentencing Commission, Project Know, etc. etc. and just dismissed all of it with a hand-wave? Yeah, that doesn't sound biased at all.

    I did read it, and it didn't counter anything I've posted so far, and I replied to it already. Still waiting for you to show me where it shows this:

    "as a % of overall interactions between police and civilians, whites are disproportionately more likely to be shot by the police."
    I cannot dismiss the, erroneous, interpretation of Vox just based on what they themselves write and the charts they themselves chose to include to backup their argument?

    There is no need to investigate further to dismiss their interpretation. Now you can say that they made a horrible attempt at it and the underlying data magically supports their view despite how horrible a job Vox did of it, THAT would require further investigation into the underlying data yes.
    none so blind as those who refuse to see

    http://lucidramble.com

  15. #45
    Super Grandmaster Nanfeishen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Neither Here Nor There
    Posts
    6,432
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by access View Post
    I was wondering about that.
    From google

    How long do you have to be in the police academy?
    The length of time required to complete academy training averaged 19 weeks as of 2006, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics. The Memphis Police Department Academy usually takes 21 weeks to complete, while San Diego's program lasts six months.

    Each state and each jurisdiction has different training requirements. In some areas, you can go through basic law enforcement training at the local community college or other state-sponsored institution first and then apply to the agency of your choice.
    The link shows an average hourly rate on varios subjects/areas eg:
    Firearms skills 60hours
    Problem solving (for example, SARA, CAPRA) 6hours
    ***SARA stands for Scanning, Analysis, Response, Assessment. CAPRA stands for Clients, Acquiring and analyzing information, Partnerships, Response, Assessment.
    http://discoverpolicing.org/what_doe...g_academy_life

    Versus Manchester UK

    At the successful completion of this two year probation period, you will be confirmed in the rank of Constable.
    http://www.gmp.police.uk/live/Nhoodv...2579FE0046F1EA
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 53
    Last Post: 24-06-2015, 11:21 AM
  2. Florida (US) Police Tase Elderly Man With His Hands Up
    By Rubberpigg in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-02-2015, 08:22 PM
  3. Video shows man shot by New Jersey police raising his hands
    By LazyLion in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 23-01-2015, 07:33 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-11-2014, 09:43 PM
  5. US Police Officer who shot unarmed man 10 times is charged
    By LazyLion in forum News and Current Affairs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •