Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Afrihost, CrystelWeb?

Quote Originally Posted by georgelza View Post
    Hi guys

I know couple of months back it was between these 2, and then on a good day MWEB.

Whats the current feeling ?

Pro's and cons.

Crystelweb guy, seem to remember you pop in here, do you provide service out of the Alberton/Meyersdal exchange, 20Mb VDSL ?

Please PM me prices.

G
    You can trial any afrihost between now and the end of the month for R1. I've been thrashing one for the last few days and apart from a 5 minute downtime on Thursday I really have nothing to complain about (having used 35gb peak data and 90gb+ off-peak since late Tuesday).

Keep in mind you'll need to cancel the package by the 23rd (I think) if you don't want to keep it.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Icemanbrfc View Post
    Maybe for you, but don't paint AH in a bad light, as not everybody is having an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    You can trial any afrihost between now and the end of the month for R1. I've been thrashing one for the last few days and apart from a 5 minute downtime on Thursday I really have nothing to complain about (having used 35gb peak data and 90gb+ off-peak since late Tuesday).

Keep in mind you'll need to cancel the package by the 23rd (I think) if you don't want to keep it.
    Indeedy, aside from that 5 mins, it's been rock solid, full speed ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post

I have also not experienced any issues with AH, apart from line issues on the Telkom side. So its a bit unfortunate, that people who have left, continue to bash them. I can understand the frustration, you paying them, and expect a good service in return, but everybody needs to make a decision if it will benefit them for the better.

I dont have an issue with any isp really, but i can understand people are frustrated, and thats understandable
    The team were 9th in the Premier League in 2010 when they were sold to Venkys, they are now in the 3rd tier of English Football

Blackburn Rovers

Maybe for you, but don't paint AH in a bad light, as not everybody is having an issue.
    Yeah, the dozens of people reporting poor streaming every night this week should just be ignored.

I'm not saying everyone is having issues, but enough people are reporting the same issue that it indicates all is not well with AH's network. We've been having endless issues streaming all week (as reported by dozens of others), and the moment we switched to other accounts it is fine. I don't believe for a second such a widespread issue isn't an AH issue.

.. does anyone know what the cancellation policies with MWEB is, what am I in for ?
    G
    Mweb only processes cancellations on the 1st of a month. So you could cancel on the 2nd and have to wait two months to leave.

hmmm data bundles look expensive, paying R200 atm for a 100GB+100GB. Won't mind going to a open anytime 350GB.
    same speed.
    tried to talk to their online chat guy, but he is either busy with something else or talking to to many people atm, was not active in conversation, will retry tomorrow.

G
    Are you looking at the new prices? MyBB's homepage has them. More announcements are coming soon.

The problem with Afrihost is that it's a hit or miss service. Pretty much like all ISPs racing to the bottom with their prices. Go to any thread and see how many issues customers are having.

I was with Afrihost for 6 years and I'm using a capped account of theirs right now to replace the data I lost on my CW account this month. For the most part, the AH account is functional. But it has issues on more days than it doesn't. Even before the current issue in the South it struggled to stream 720p on my 40Mbps connection most of the time.

And that's the benefit of Crystal Web. It's not an inconsistent experience. It doesn't matter what region you're in or what you use the internet for, the accounts just fly. You can go back 50 pages in the CW thread and the only performance issues being reported are Vumatel fibre customers getting DDoS'd on the international, which isn't even CW's fault.

Recommending CW is the safest recommendation you could ever make.

I haven't felt the need to hop ISPs for a long time since signing up with CW. My experience is basically the same as the Afrihost Business accounts, but it stays that way 24/7 with no hiccups at all. The only stuff-ups in the past year have been because of Telkom.

dont know if this a place to ask...but what ISP give best ping for gamers?

axxess and telkom give me 58 about to bf4 EBV server.

Afrihost free test 1gb, give 44, and their 20+20 capped give also 58. (huge battle with them why 20+20 cant ping 44, many emails back and forth...just mailed Gian now to ask him also lol )

thx

CW - no contest / question

AH I would not touch with a 100ft barge pole.
    All the current specials they have are nothing but lipstick on a lying unethical pig.
    Yes - some people are lucky enough to have no issues with them but there are 100's that paid for services they did not get with no compensation to date.
    Life and death have been in love for longer than we have words to describe.
    Life sends countless gifts to death ... and death keeps them forever.

What are we talking next week, the one coming or the one after ?
    G
    You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

Thanks.
    Decision made, not to get the cancellations processed through MWEB asap.
    so 1st is good, if I send instructions tomorrow, it will be processed end of this month, ending end of next at worst. Guessing they will follow their contract to the letter and adhere to this rule for both the line and the data.

G
    You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
    You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
    Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
    Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post

Afrihost free test 1gb, give 44, and their 20+20 capped give also 58. (huge battle with them why 20+20 cant ping 44, many emails back and forth...just mailed Gian now to ask him also lol )

thx
    I haven't seen lower latency than on Crystal Web. Before moving house I had Telkom 100Mbps fibre, and Crystal Web latency to Europe was similar to what I used to get for local on ADSL. So with Crystal Web the only thing slowing you down is your line.

Thanks.
    Decision made, not to get the cancellations processed through MWEB asap.
    so 1st is good, if I send instructions tomorrow, it will be processed end of this month, ending end of next at worst. Guessing they will follow their contract to the letter and adhere to this rule for both the line and the data.

G
    The line and data are separate. You should be prompted as to what you want to do with your line if you're cancelling a bundle. Just make sure Mweb has all your instructions on record a few days before the 1st - you don't want excuses about why it's your fault that cancellation couldn't be processed on the 1st of next month.

Being able to leave Mweb from the end of next month isn't the worst case scenario; it's the best case one.

thx
    Not sure about local latency but on international, crystal web owns.
    I'm on a 4mb/s premium home uncapped account.

Stable 162ms when no ones using the net.
    169ms While my wifes watching netflix. Couldn't be happier, best to ask them for a trial account and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by maxum View Post
    Not sure about local latency but on international, crystal web owns.
    I'm on a 4mb/s premium home uncapped account.

Stable 162ms when no ones using the net.
    169ms While my wifes watching netflix. Couldn't be happier, best to ask them for a trial account and see for yourself.
    169 while on netflix? hard to believe...i ping 500 when someone open fb...

169 while on netflix? hard to believe...i ping 500 when someone open fb...
    I find it pretty hard to believe too .
    That said, we stream series in standard def, around 480p.

Quote Originally Posted by maxum View Post
    I find it pretty hard to believe too .
    That said, we stream series in standard def, around 480p.
    stil...stream will use ur max line speed to buffer ahead....using all 420kb/sec...so u wont even be able to move ingame....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast