Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does a tourist get a SIM card for the 6 weeks they are visiting SA?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Where does a tourist get a SIM card for the 6 weeks they are visiting SA?

Friend arrived on Friday, staying in Cape Town
    We went along to CellC store.
    First person: No, cannot sell you a SIM since you do not have a permanent address
    Second person: Buy one at Pick n Pay and we will sort it out, return with SIM and now they want 3 months bank statement and proof of address. UK address is not valid
    Third person: Phone this number 084...... Someone answers speaking foreign language. After 10 mins discover it is a shop somewhere in Jhb
    Fourth person: Why are you visiting, you must use your UK phone (explain that Orange does not work in SA, no idea)
    Fifth person: You should have bought it at the airport - yes, fine, but Vodafone shop was shut since it was 8.00pm

I cannot believe such an astonishing rigmarole. In the UK, you go along to the shop, pay your £10 or whatever and get a SIM with airtime that lasts a month
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Blog Entries

Can't you do it for him?

Super Grandmaster

Just go to the nearest Pakistani owned cellphone shop. They all sell pre-rica'd sim cards, no questions asked.

For a foreign visitor, they can use a hotel booking as residential confirmation. If they are staying with a friend / family, then they would need an affidavit from the person they are staying with:
    http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...i/South_Africa

We keep a spare SIM around the house that we lend to visitors that come stay with us - it's just must easier.

The whole address component of RICA has really over-complicated the process and actually works against the intentions of the act. In other countries, all they need is an identity, but in South Africa, they need proof of address as well. As this makes things more complicated, it encourages bypassing the system as people RICA for others, etc.

Grandmaster

When i get overseas visitors I buy a sim, rica it and let inform them of the number before they even leave, that way they can give the number to people who might need it etc

Quote Originally Posted by me_ View Post
    As this makes things more complicated, it encourages bypassing the system as people RICA for others, etc.
    +1
    Never let a computer know you're in a hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc4290 View Post
    Friend arrived on Friday, staying in Cape Town
    We went along to CellC store.
    First person: No, cannot sell you a SIM since you do not have a permanent address
    Second person: Buy one at Pick n Pay and we will sort it out, return with SIM and now they want 3 months bank statement and proof of address. UK address is not valid
    Third person: Phone this number 084...... Someone answers speaking foreign language. After 10 mins discover it is a shop somewhere in Jhb
    Fourth person: Why are you visiting, you must use your UK phone (explain that Orange does not work in SA, no idea)
    Fifth person: You should have bought it at the airport - yes, fine, but Vodafone shop was shut since it was 8.00pm

I cannot believe such an astonishing rigmarole. In the UK, you go along to the shop, pay your £10 or whatever and get a SIM with airtime that lasts a month
    Hi chrisc4290

Thank you for posting to us.

Could you please PM us or send us an email to [email protected], we would like to assist in organising you one.

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Also, kindly advise where you are so that we can see which Cell C stores are closest to you.

^BM

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Its not my inconvenience, it is the visitor's. First thing this morning went along to Pep Cellular and got him a cheapie phone, complete with SIM. Used my credentials. Even got discounted airtime there too, so all sorted

What bothers me is the attitude of the sales people. You might think they want to sell phones and assorted items. But no, they throw barriers into the path all the time. Then the one person contradicts the other in front of you, they have an argument between them and shrug. He got better service in Tanzania.
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Its not my inconvenience, it is the visitor's. First thing this morning went along to Pep Cellular and got him a cheapie phone, complete with SIM. Used my credentials. Even got discounted airtime there too, so all sorted

What bothers me is the attitude of the sales people. You might think they want to sell phones and assorted items. But no, they throw barriers into the path all the time. Then the one person contradicts the other in front of you, they have an argument between them and shrug. He got better service in Tanzania.
    Aside from legal obligations what barriers are they putting in your way?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    Just go to the nearest Pakistani owned cellphone shop. They all sell pre-rica'd sim cards, no questions asked.
    +1
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you, as well as the visitor.

Do you mind providing us with the number via PM (Private Message)?

^BM

Quote Originally Posted by moklet View Post
    When i get overseas visitors I buy a sim, rica it and let inform them of the number before they even leave, that way they can give the number to people who might need it etc
    Used to do that in the good old days before the $#&%! RICA disaster.

As I don't want to take on the nuisance of having to go and report it to SAPS if it gets lost or stolen, I always make it a priority to help them to pick one up at the airport.

Best way to get a Sim card is at the airport. The visitor/tourist only need the passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee View Post
    Used to do that in the good old days before the $#&%! RICA disaster.

As I don't want to take on the nuisance of having to go and report it to SAPS if it gets lost or stolen, I always make it a priority to help them to pick one up at the airport.
    Has anyone ever done that?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    You're lucky if they work, and if you take it back, they shrug and say "we don't sell those here'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast