You should join our great online community now - you can win great prizes
Register now
You should subscribe to our free MyBroadband newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Islam as Primordiality

Default Islam as Primordiality

What I present below is not an argument for Islam, or evidence of its truth. It is merely a very brief statement of the Islamic worldview, for the purposes of understanding.

The Muslim Narrative of History and Purpose

God exists, omnipresent and omnipotent1, but He transcends both time and space. As an expression of His Love and Mercy, He wills to create humankind, that they may know Him and willingly Love Him. The world, with its light and darkness, pain and beauty, suffering and pleasure, is God's chosen (created) instrument for nurturing these constructs.

In the beginning, God creates a singularity and then "cleaves it asunder"2, as an ever expanding universe3. He then wills the resultant cosmic dust to coalesce and form bodies in space4. He creates galaxies, with each heavenly body swimming in its respective orbit5. In progressive phases, He creates all earthly life from water6 and clay.

One such form of life is a creature called Adam, into which God breathes of His spirit7. God demonstrates this creature's free will by, firstly, testing Adam's capacity for obedience and devotion, by directly instructing Adam with knowledge. Adam displays a willing obedience, by devotedly submitting to God's instruction, and is able to learn and recite that which God has taught8. God separates out from Adam the female aspect, so that what is left are two separate beings of male and female9. Secondly, God tests the human capacity for neglect and forgetfulness, and Adam and Eve both demonstrate this by eating of tree that was forbidden. Thus, with these two tests complete, human beings have demonstrated to the extant angelic world, the human capacity of free will.

Adam and Eve are sent to Earth. They are informed that there would be animosity and conflict among their descendants, that God would send guidance that humanity could take recourse to10, and that they will all ultimately return to Him. The key to humanity's success would be in righteousness, and to sincerely strive for a relationship of love with God and with the other creations of God.

"Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in God, the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; establishes prayer and gives prescribed tax to the poor; fulfill their promise when they promise; and are patient in poverty and hardship and during strife. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous." (Quran 2:177)

Time and time again, humanity loses the original message, and deviates from the primordial state of sound faith and beneficent action. Through the ages, many messengers are sent to guide humanity back to God and felicity. God's prophets and messengers number around 124 000, who are sent to all nations on Earth. For example, Enoch is sent, and later Noah, wherein there is a partial flood that causes major destruction. Abraham is sent, and his sons Ishmael and Isaac, to resurrect the primordial project. Jacob is sent, and Joseph and the Tribes. Moses is sent to convey the Law, and David and Solomon to reaffirm it. In addition to general guidance, some guides also come with Divine Law and a Book. But deviation is ever destined to set in, and because humanity has not yet reached the level of efficient textual preservation, Textual integrity is inevitably compromised11.

God sends Jesus Christ, a Hebrew prophet who is blatant in his criticism of the corruption of the Rabbis of the day. God instructs Jesus Christ to uphold certain parts of the Law brought by Moses, but that the time had come to forego certain other parts12. Jesus Christ never transmitted a Book verbatim, but he did receive a "Book" from God into his heart, called the Gospel, from which he taught his many disciples. Some of his followers were scribes, and later, after his death, penned some of his teachings. But these, too, were fraught with errors and contradictions. Certain principles remained solidly intact, such as loving God and loving the "other" (one's neighbour). But Christians started to wholesale abrogate the Old Testament, and the Jewish Law that was practiced by Jesus (albeit that Jesus had made some changes to the Law, as commanded by God). God's Oneness, which had been taught since the time of Adam, all the way up to and including the teachings of Jesus Christ, now becomes polluted and convoluted with notions of Trinity. The dichotomous nature of the Creator and creation also becomes contaminated by the concept of a God-man in the false claim of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

The time becomes ripe for new revelation, to confirm what came before, but also to correct what had been perverted. Humanity reaches a point where the sound preservation of His Word becomes possible. The Quran is gradually revealed to Prophet Muhammad, over a period of 27 years. While the Quran is only compiled into book form some years after the Prophet's death, it already existed in complete written form on various parchments. But the most significant factor which ensures its preservation is the fact that 1000s of his contemporaries have memorised the entire Quran, and the main authorised teachers regularly check in with the Prophet to ensure accuracy in their respective recollections. While some unauthorised persons too scribe texts wherein there are some errors, after the Prophet's death, recension efforts to ensure correlation with the authorised teachers are conducted by the Prophet's companion, Abu Bakr, and then on a much larger scale by the companion, Uthman. This leads to the protection of the Quran's integrity, preserving it in written form for later generations.

This brings us to the present day, where God's primordial message is as intact as ever. Islam is an Arabic word which means to submit. The Quran calls upon us to submit to the guidance of Almighty God, to spread compassion to all, and earn His compassion; to strive in His way, that we may experience the greatest sweetness ever: coming to truly know and love God, and being recipients of the Love of God, the Majestic.

References:

1. See explanation of some core Attributes of God, previously posted on this forum.
    2. "Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?" (Quran 21:30)
    3. "And the firmament We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander." (Quran 51:47)
    4. "Then He directed Himself to the firmament while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly." (Quran 41:11)
    5. "And it is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon; all [heavenly bodies] in an orbit are swimming." (Quran 21:33)
    6. "And God has caused you to grow from the earth a [progressive] growth." (Quran 71:17)
    7. "And when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My [created] spirit." (Quran 15:29)
    8. "And He taught Adam the names - all of them. Then He showed them to the angels and said, "Inform Me of the names of these, if you are truthful. They said, "Exalted are You; we have no knowledge except what You have taught us. Indeed, it is You who is the Knowing, the Wise. He said, "O Adam, inform them of their names." And when he had informed them of their names, He said, "Did I not tell you that I know the unseen [aspects] of the heavens and the earth? And I know what you reveal and what you have concealed." (Quran 2:31-33)
    9. "O mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And fear God, through whom you ask one another, and the wombs. Indeed Allah is ever, over you, an Observer." (Quran 4:1)
    10. "And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred. Then his Lord chose him and turned to him in forgiveness and guided [him]. God said, "Descend from Paradise - all, [your descendants] being enemies to one another. And if there should come to you guidance from Me - then whoever follows My guidance will neither go astray [in the world] nor suffer [in the Hereafter]." (Quran 20:121-123)
    11. "Can you entertain the hope that they will believe in you, seeing that a party of them heard the Word of God, and perverted it knowingly after they understood it?" (Quran 2:75)
    12. "(I, Jesus, have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So be mindful of God, and obey me." (Quran 3:50)

Abdurahman Dollie (wayfarer)
    Last edited by wayfarer; 18-11-2016 at 06:24 PM.

Nice explanation,very useful.

Grandmaster

I like the verse regarding what righteousness is 2:177. The Quran makes it so simple and straightforward but often due to our own shortcomings, it can become the most difficult things for us to live up to.

So I "only" have to submit? Sorry, not interested. I prefer doing things my way.

Does your God give you free will to love him or not? Do you have assurance that you will go to heaven if you serve him?

Great summary. And very well researched. Thank you for all the effort you put in

Grandmaster

Excellent explanation of Adam and Eve's (peace be upon them) history. I think many would be surprised to learn that they were both equally guilty of eating from the forbidden tree. I also like how the creation of Eve is described as a "separation" out of Adam. It highlights the idea of Man and Wife being separate parts of one whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspect99 View Post
    Great summary. And very well researched. Thank you for all the effort you put in
    I suspect it is a copy/paste job...

Quote Originally Posted by Necropolis View Post
    I doubt it. Wayfarer puts up a lot of original content. And Google brings up nothing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Necropolis View Post
    As suspect99 is attesting to, It looks like the typical Wayfarer style of writing. Many of us have googled sections of his posts to verify its authenticity in the past.

Wayfarer, even though I'm an atheist its nice learning about religion and its beginnings.
    Trade for the lowest fees in South Africa, register for an EasyEquities account today by clicking here now!

But these, too, were fraught with errors and contradictions. Certain principles remained solidly intact, such as loving God and loving the "other" (one's neighbour).
    And then came your uncle Mohammed and everything were fine and pure.

God sends Jesus Christ, a Hebrew prophet
    If only he was a Arabic prophet.
    The bible talk about a few prophet, which were all Hebrew.

Super Grandmaster

the Quran calls upon us to submit to the guidance of Almighty God
    how about nope

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Robertvv View Post
    But these, too, were fraught with errors and contradictions. Certain principles remained solidly intact, such as loving God and loving the "other" (one's neighbour).
    And then came your uncle Mohammed and everything were fine and pure.

God sends Jesus Christ, a Hebrew prophet
    If only he was a Arabic prophet.
    The bible talk about a few prophet, which were all Hebrew.
    What?

Life as we know it doesn't form from water. It requires water to exist but carbon is the basis of our biochemistry. There is no carbon in H2O.

Male and female developed long before humans came about. Female humans weren't separated out from male humans. We see examples of distinct male and female in life that is far older than humanity.

Woah wait why are Adam and Eve suddenly sent to Earth? I thought life was coming from water and such on Earth and Adam was one of those lifeforms that formed from water.
    Last edited by porchrat; 17-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Life as we know it doesn't form from water. It requires water to exist but carbon is the basis of our biochemistry. There is no carbon in H2O.
    Spot on, dear Porchrat! While we are created from water in the sense that:

a) It is the substrate from which we originate
    b) It is the the chief matrix that comprises living organisms

...water is certainly not the chief "active ingredient", as that would have to be organic compounds, as you correctly point out, such as those found in clay, and in the primordial soup. Consider the following verses from the Quran:
    "He Who made well everything which He created, and began the creation of man from clay, and made his posterity out of the extract of a liquid disdained" (Quran 32:7-8)

The verses referencing water and clay respectively do not contradict one another, but compliment one another.

Male and female developed long before humans came about. Female humans weren't separated out from male humans. We see examples of distinct male and female in life that is far older than humanity.
    Absolutely! Sex distinctions did not arise at this time but predate it by far. Adam's body was of a material substance/organism of the Earth, but the inner essence, or soul, is what divided and differentiated, according to the Quran. The original Adam represented humanity in terms of both sexes. Later, Eve's inner essence was filtered out into a separate entity. We are not necessarily talking biological processes at this instance. Consider the Quran verse below:

"O mankind, be mindful of your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And be mindful of God, through whom you ask one another, and the wombs. Indeed God is ever, over you, an Observer." (Quran 4:1)

The complete human being is part water and clay, and part spirit.

Woah wait why are Adam and Eve suddenly sent to Earth? I thought life was coming from water and such on Earth and Adam was one of those lifeforms that formed from water.
    The physical substance came from the Earth. Homo sapiens, evolved from "dirty" water (admixture of water and clay-based organic compounds) was raised into Paradise to receive the soul (regarded in Islam as the seat of the conscience). The soul was later split into 2 distinct entities, connected with 2 distinct bodies of either sex.

These past articles that I posted in this forum may give more context:

1. Evolution
    2. Adam and Eve's descent
    Last edited by wayfarer; 17-11-2016 at 07:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast