Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 VW Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Necropolis View Post
    Bit of an ugly car that...
    Yeah, it's part of the VW styling DNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix99 View Post
    But how much will the rims cost?
    Name:  I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE_HOLY****.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  23.2 KB
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Quote Originally Posted by FiestaST View Post
    No electric seat adjustment on a car that costs over R600k, I would be a bit peeved.

i think I might have missed something , but 228kw.. ? So the next golf R in 2020 will compete with the 2013 A45 Amg's then?

Quote Originally Posted by mk97 View Post
    i think I might have missed something , but 228kw.. ? So the next golf R in 2020 will compete with the 2013 A45 Amg's then?
    Pretty much as the next A45 will have 400 ponies (294kw+).

Forget to add then when a I watched Extra Gear 207 yesterday Chris was in a MY2017 Golf R. Testing out what occurs when you press the electronic handbrake at 120mph. Nothing dramatic; car just slowly slows down.

Then him & Rory tried to do a handbrake turn & no luck.

They were then lamenting about the death of the handbrake turn in modern cars.

Carfection review

Volkswagen’s new ‘R’ division boss is a rally guru…

Volkswagen has appointed Jost Capito as the new managing director of its “R” performance division.

The 58-year-old returns to the Wolfsburg automaker after a short stint as CEO of McLaren Racing. In 2012, of course, Capito was appointed director of motorsport at Volkswagen brand and led the VW team to first place in the FIA World Rally Championship in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Capito succeeds Ulrich Riestenpatt gt. Richter, who had been managing director of the R division since 2009.

VW describes its R division as the “competence centre for design- and performance-oriented products”. Capito will also head up Volkswagen Zubehör GmbH, which is responsible for developing and marketing vehicle accessories.

The engineering graduate first worked for the Volkswagen Group in the Porsche racing department in 1989. He also managed the Sauber Formula 1 racing team from 1996, before joining Ford in 2001, where he oversaw the development of the very first Focus RS.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/vo...-a-rally-guru/

Is this South Africa’s fastest Volkswagen Golf 7 R?

Randburg-based tuner RGMotorsport claims that its project car is the fastest street-legal Volkswagen Golf 7 R in South Africa, with the hot hatch recently having registered a 10,95-second quarter-mile run at altitude.

With Jacques Joubert behind the wheel, the Golf R dipped under 11 seconds at a terminal speed of 203,5 km/h at the Tarlton Tuner Warz event at the start of June.

RGM says the project car is a “high-speed billboard and a mobile research and development platform” for its “Untamed” range of upgrades for Volkswagen and Audi products.

“We’ve worked hard for this moment and it has paid off. In our business, proving that our fast cars can walk the talk is what it is all about and the marketplace notices achievements like this,” said company founder, Rob Green. “We’ve been knocking at the door for a while and on Saturday it all came together.”

RGM reported the following figures – captured by a VBox Video datalogger – from the record-breaking run: 0-100 km/h in 3,17 seconds; 0-120 km/h in 4,11 seconds; 0-160 km/h in 6,7 seconds; and 100-200 km/h in 7,5 seconds.

The Golf R in question (apparently worth some 390 kW and 648 N.m) has had changes made to its turbocharger, inlet and exhaust systems, gearbox clutches, engine management software and suspension. Engine internals, the tuner says, are “completely stock”.

“All of the modifications made to our Golf 7 R are available to our customers. So drivers of various other VAG products – such as the Golf 7 GTI, Audi S3 and Audi RS3 – can expect similar performance if they follow the same upgrade path,” said Green.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/is...agen-golf-7-r/

https://youtu.be/Ccpa9vrTd48

This modified Golf R smashes the 1/4 mile in 10.95 seconds

RGMotorsport claims it has blasted into the record books, by breaking into the 10-second bracket over a quarter-mile with a street-legal Golf 7 R.

During his third run at the Tarlton Tuner Warz event on June 3, with an official time of 10.95 seconds and a terminal speed of 203.5 km/h Jacques “The Stiglet” Joubert dipped below 11 seconds for the first time.

He was at the controls of the company’s Golf 7 R project car, which acts as both a high-speed billboard and a mobile research and development platform for the Strydom Park tuner’s “Untamed” range of upgrades for Volkswagen and Audi.

Fastest Golf 7 R on the Highveld

Rob Green said: “I’m ecstatic! We’ve worked hard for this moment and it has paid off – in our business, proving that our fast cars can walk the talk is what it is all about and the marketplace notices achievements like this. We’ve been knocking at the door for a while and it all came together – being able to say that we’re the fastest Golf 7R on the Highveld matters!”

According to RGMotorsport, it is a genuine daily driver: it made its way to and from Tarlton under its own steam, spent Sunday being hammered at a motorsport event on the other side of Gauteng and was then used by the Stiglet to brave the traffic in getting to the office on Monday morning. In 2016 the same car/driver combination won its class at the Jaguar Simola Hillclimb (it didn’t compete in the 2017 event).

But just how fast is a car that can dispatch a quarter mile in under 11 seconds? Here are some headline numbers from its run on June 3, captured by a VBOX Video datalogger:

• 0 – 100 km/h in 3.17 seconds
    • 0 – 120 km/h in 4.11 seconds
    • 0 – 160 km/h in 6.7 seconds
    • 100 – 200 km/h in 7.5 seconds

RGMotorsport’s car is full house, with changes to the turbocharger, inlet and exhaust systems, gearbox clutches, engine management software and suspension. Engine internals are completely stock.

Want your Golf R to emulate this one?

Green explains: “All of the modifications made to our Golf7 R are available to our customers, so drivers of various other VAG products - such as the Golf7 GTI, Audi S3 and the Audi RS3 – can expect similar performance if they follow the same upgrade path.”

http://www.wheels24.co.za/WildOnWhee...conds-20170615

And what does this conversion cost? R100k?

Ppl are missing the point ...

- I dont care how fast this car is
    - i dont care how practical it it
    - i dont care are easy the drive is
    - i dont care how many creature comforts it has

In the end its a piece of tin that doesnt evoke any emotion or passion.Its a car that drives you and not the other way round

END OF STORY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast